It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Immigrants are going hungry so Trump won’t deport them

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 16 2017 @ 06:36 PM
link   
First the story refers to illegal immigrants as immigrants. Then they refer to people here legally as legal immigrants, changing the terminology to fit the story I suppose.

Luisa Fortin wonders what her SNAP recipients are eating. The (illegal) immigrants are dropping out of the food assistance called SNAP out of fear of being deported.

Since mid-January, five of Fortin’s families have withdrawn from the SNAP program. One, the single mother of three citizen daughters, had fled to Georgia to escape an abusive husband. Another, two green-card holders with four young children, were thinking of taking on third jobs to compensate for the lost benefits. These families represent a small fraction of Fortin's caseload — she estimates she has signed 200 immigrant families up for SNAP over the past six months — but based on the calls she gets from other clients, she fears more cancellations are imminent.
www.washingtonpost.com... m_term=.e4a7f0396f83

Fortin gets calls from parents all the time wondering if they should take their kids out of food assistance programs. Food banks nd the SNAP program have noticed decline in eligible immigrants applying for SNAP. Is this legal or illegal immigrants?

“I get calls from concerned parents all the time: ‘should I take my kids out of the program?’” Fortin said. “They’re risking hunger out of fear … and my heart just breaks for them.”

Chattanooga is not an outlier here, either.

In the two months since President Trump’s inauguration, food banks and hunger advocates around the country have noted a decline in the number of eligible immigrants applying for SNAP — and an uptick in immigrants seeking to withdraw from the program.

Dept of Ag says 1.5 million non citizens receive food stamps as did 3.9 million citizen kids.

According to the Department of Agriculture, 1.5 million noncitizens received food stamps in the 2015 fiscal year, as did 3.9 million citizen children living with noncitizen adults. The rules for receiving public assistance are strict, and immigrants tend to utilize food benefits at a much lower rate than their native-born neighbors. Studies have also shown that immigrant households tend to suffer more hunger.

For legal immigrants who entered the country after August 1996, eligibility is determined based on their age and time in the U.S. Adults qualify only after they’ve lived in the U.S. for five years, or if they’re refugees or disabled; children who entered legally qualify sooner.

+27 more 
posted on Mar, 16 2017 @ 06:41 PM
link   
Yeah but same article never actually talks to an "immigrant" who has done this, only to people like Fortin.

And do you notice how there is this assumption that it's perfectly normal and natural for illegal immigrants to have US welfare benefits as if they are here legally?

+3 more 
posted on Mar, 16 2017 @ 06:43 PM
link   
a reply to: seasonal

Another, two green-card holders with four young children, were thinking of taking on third jobs to compensate for the lost benefits.

This stood out to me most of all, why the hell do you have 4 kids if you cannot afford them?

How about instead of 3 jobs, you get an education or learn a skilled trade that you could actually support 4 kids on?

Mind boggling.

posted on Mar, 16 2017 @ 06:44 PM
link   
a reply to: ketsuko

Today I've heard that it is an issue if illegal immigrants should have the right to vote and by the tone of the person's voice and the lack of dissent they thought nothing wrong with that. Why have laws at all...

link   
I feel sympathy for these people, in this day and age no one anywhere should go hungry.
That said if these people came to the US illegally and things have gotten so bad they can no longer feed themselves or their families maybe heading back home to reasses their situation isnt such a bad idea

+13 more 
link   
Quit mooching off of us and go home. Quit lying to everyone and get out.

The selfishness and dishonesty required to do what these people have done is staggering.

Good riddance.

posted on Mar, 16 2017 @ 06:45 PM
link   

Yes, maybe Mrs. Fortin who runs SNAP is worried that her cushy little job maybe going bye bye?
edit on 16-3-2017 by seasonal because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 16 2017 @ 06:46 PM
link   
a reply to: Vector99

Perhaps assimilation is a problem?

posted on Mar, 16 2017 @ 06:57 PM
link   

I know you probably see me as just some big commie or whatever, but IMO it doesn't matter what someone's status is, you feed them if they need food.

I mean what has happened in your life that has jaded you so bad that you resent someone getting food stamps to get food???

First of all, like it says in the article, it's the kids who are citizens that are getting them not the illegals directly. So they're feeding their family the best they can.

But regardless of that anyway, it's food, they're people, they have to eat too. So feed them.

Maybe it's the fact that part of my family is Italian or something but I was raised where if someone doesn't have food, you feed them. You don't ask about their status or anything like that. If someone needs to eat you feed them. It's just that simple.

I mean most people waste so much food by letting it go bad or tossing it out or something I just don't get how selfish anyone can be to not want to help a hungry person get food. I just can't understand it.

I see people, homeless and otherwise and I'll just buy them food or drinks sometimes. I mean I'm there buying something for myself usually anyway and what's another buck or two for something extra??? It's nothing. It's not like you're taking them out for lobster but guy a hungry person a cheeseburger or a coffee when it's cold out side. That one extra dollar that means almost nothing to you means so much to someone who's hungry.

posted on Mar, 16 2017 @ 06:58 PM
link   

originally posted by: seasonal
a reply to: Vector99

Perhaps assimilation is a problem?

Shouldn't be the problem of taxpayers.

posted on Mar, 16 2017 @ 06:59 PM
link   
a reply to: mOjOm

I don't think you are a commie. I think your opinion is just a important as mine or anyone else.

I have not said we should not feed anyone. Where did you get this idea from?

posted on Mar, 16 2017 @ 07:05 PM
link   
If a man is hungry, let him eat.

posted on Mar, 16 2017 @ 07:05 PM
link   

I wasn't directing all of that at you personally. I was kind of ranting in a more general sense.

But out of all the things to not agree with I just can't understand the argument of "Hey, f*ck those hungry Illegals, I want that small fraction of my tax dollars back."

I mean each one of us waste more food and money on total BS than what we'd ever even consider going to feed people.

I mean it's food stamps. For food. Basic food. I just can't see having that as a high priority as something to stop doing. It's the coldest most horrible thing I can think of. Just letting someone go hungry. Illegal or not who cares. We all need to eat and it's not like it's that much.

I'm poor as sh*t too. I'm not much better off than these hungry people believe me. But it doesn't even pop in my mind to not feed them.

posted on Mar, 16 2017 @ 07:07 PM
link   
a reply to: angeldoll

Exactly. Walk into an Italian home or even most Mexican homes and you almost can't leave again without eating something. It's just the normal thing to do.

It's like, "Hey how are you doing?? Nice to meet you. You eat yet?? You want some ......??" That's just normal.

posted on Mar, 16 2017 @ 07:11 PM
link   

Go to a walmart on the 1st of the month and see what people are buying with food stamps. Steak, lobster, snacks, soda, you name it.

I'm all for feeding those in need, but not the way it is currently set up. You don't deserve luxury foods if someone else is unwillingly paying for it.

Food box programs SHOULD be the standard. Would save TONS of money. They can also employ those receiving the free food for 10-20 hours a month as a trade off for getting the food. Eliminates a lot of excessive and reckless spending.

posted on Mar, 16 2017 @ 07:12 PM
link   

The new budget includes cutting Meals on Wheels.

posted on Mar, 16 2017 @ 07:14 PM
link   

originally posted by: seasonal

Yes, maybe Mrs. Fortin who runs SNAP is worried that her cushy little job maybe going bye bye?

There was a scandal here in Missouri with the SNAP program. The workers signed a bunch of people up for SNAP, and it turns out that many of them were not qualified. When that was discovered, the state went after those people to make them pay back all that they received in error.

Now, come to find out that the SNAP workers who were signing all the people up illegally were doing it to meet quotas for a special bonus being paid out for signing so many new people up. None of them had to pay back their fat bonus for making all those mistakes in signing up people who did not qualify nor did any of them lose their jobs.

Enough outrage was raised over it that they finally agreed to eat the benefits that had been paid out erroneously as many of the people who had signed on had not actively sought benefits but had been aggressively sought out be SNAP workers eagerly trying to get their bonuses.

posted on Mar, 16 2017 @ 07:15 PM
link   

I am torn on this one.

What you are talking about is an unlimited need (socialized programs) and a limited supply (tax money).

If these people are here illegally, they should not be on a service designed for citizens. I hate to think of people note getting enough to eat. It happens all over the world, it is because of fake scarcity.

posted on Mar, 16 2017 @ 07:17 PM
link   

originally posted by: mOjOm

I mean what has happened in your life that has jaded you so bad that you resent someone getting food stamps to get food???

That one extra dollar that means almost nothing to you means so much to someone who's hungry.

The United States is $20 Trillion in debt (and only going to continue rising), we don't have an extra dollar to give. I guess if you want to borrow from China, or Japan, and go even deeper in debt to them, so we can feed more illegal immigrants, I think you will find it's not going to work out too well for us. We spend $75 Billion on food stamps every year. That ain't chump change. But I guess feeding illegals today is more important than feeding citizens tomorrow. Glad I don't have kids, this country is going to be a total mess in the near future.

posted on Mar, 16 2017 @ 07:17 PM
link   

no bonuses should be awarded for govt programs. If you want to hand out bonuses hand them out to the DMV for speedy friendly service.

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join