It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Lawsuit against Monsanto

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Mar, 16 2017 @ 05:09 PM
link   
Glyphosaphate is at issue here.

Somethings wrong with this story. Roundup kills most everything, you don't spray it on your lawn, your lawn will die.
Whats her agenda? Pure greed?
Glyphosphate isn't the evil the media has made it out to be, without herbicides, crop yield will go way down.
I guess ban it for the city people if they can't use it responsibly, but demonizing it is just another example of a world gone mad.

Mendoza blames glyphosate, the main chemical ingredient in the weed killer Roundup, which she used on her lawn every weekend. “I had a backpack that held two gallons of water and I would strap it on and I would just walk around spraying,” she said.

Link

posted on Mar, 16 2017 @ 05:22 PM
link   
a reply to: D8Tee

from your link

But now, the data is in question. Newly released court documents in a federal lawsuit suggest Monsanto planned to ghostwrite a positive report on glyphosate and get experts to back it up. An scientist wrote in an email “...we would be keeping the cost down by us doing the writing and they would just edit & sign their names.”

Monsanto had no confidence in their EPA lackeys "killing this". That statement alone indicates what many have seen, the revolving door activities of scientists who get rewarded after leaving the EPA with cushy jobs at Monsanto

Court documents also reveal conversations between Monsanto executives and an EPA director about a federal glyphosate review. “I doubt EPA and Jess can kill this, but it’s good to know they are going to actually make the effort,” a Monsanto executive wrote.

posted on Mar, 16 2017 @ 05:24 PM
link   
a reply to: TheConstruKctionofLight

But if you have faith in Monsanto, I guess you wont see how ruthless they are.

www.globalresearch.ca...
Global Research, March 15, 2015

The World Bank and International Monetary Fund (IMF) is helping biotech run the latest war in Ukraine. Make no mistake that what is happening in the Ukraine now is deeply tied to the interests of Monsanto, Dow, Bayer, and other big players in the poison food game. Monsanto has an office in Ukraine. While this does not shout ‘culpability’ from every corner, it is no different than the US military’s habit to place bases in places that they want to gain political control.

The opening of this office coincided with land grabs with loans from the IMF and World Bank to one of the world’s most hated corporations – all in support of their biotech takeover. Previously, there was a ban on private sector land ownership in the country – but it was lifted ‘just in time’ for Monsanto to have its way with the Ukraine. In fact, a bit of political maneuvering by the IMF gave the Ukraine a $17 billion loan – but only if they would open up to biotech farming and the selling of Monsanto’s poison crops and chemicals – destroying a farmland that is one of the most pristine in all of Europe. Farm equipment dealer, Deere, along with seed producers Dupont and Monsanto, will have a heyday.

posted on Mar, 16 2017 @ 05:30 PM
link   
More info:

The World Health Organization’s cancer agency IARC has published the full report which caused a huge worldwide response, when they announced earlier this year that the World’s most sold herbicide, glyphosate, is a probable human carcinogen.

Roundup-008
Full IARC Report: monographs.iarc.fr/ENG/Monographs/vol112/mono112-09.pdf

The assessment by the International Agency for Research on Cancer (IARC) of glyphosate, which is used in herbicides with estimated annual sales of USD 6 Billion, is of special concern to Monsanto, the company that brought glyphosate to market under the trade name Roundup in the 1970s.

Over 80% of GM crops worldwide are engineered to be grown with the herbicide.

The IARC has no regulatory role and its decisions do not automatically lead to bans or restrictions, but the report has put massive pressure on regulators and the Biotech industry, who rely on glyphosate for a large percentage of their profits.

The IARC reached its decision based on the view of 17 experts from 11 countries, who met in Lyon, France, to assess the carcinogenicity of 5 organophosphate pesticides.

Since the IARC report was released in March 2015 many countries have been looking at possible bans on glyphosate-based herbicides and Sri Lanka even announced a complete ban. Supermarkets across Europe have also removed glyphosate-based herbicides from their shelves.

Link

I just want to be informative here, but after reading the Study, I personally would not use this stuff regularly around my family and pets. Although the evidence is not full on conclusive regarding carcinogenic to humans, there is enough doubt and uncertainty for me to remain cautious regarding my own choice.

ETA: In regard to the lady and lawsuit, I could see her spraying that much on the path and perimeter, in between shrubs and unrevealed part of property, and yea she probably over did it. I doubt she will be successful in suing though, because even if her claim is true, it would be hard to prove direct cause.
edit on 16-3-2017 by waftist because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 16 2017 @ 05:33 PM
link   
a reply to: TheConstruKctionofLight

I have no love for Bayer or Monsanto or any of the multinationals for that matter.
Demonizing Glyphosphate is not the answer.
Of course it's a dangerous chemical, it's a herbicide. It's not as persistent in the environment as most other herbicides.
What I'm getting at is the article itself. Roundup kills most anything green, why would that lady be spraying 2 gallons on her lawn each week? Doesn't look like she has a rockgarden for a front lawn.
Ban herbicides in your urban environments and be done with it, if this goes further and affects agriculture itself, there will be huge losses in yield.
Most city people can't be trusted to safely handle a herbicide without training.

posted on Mar, 16 2017 @ 06:01 PM
link   

I thank you for this post.

You raise some good points. Urban and suburban use of glyphosate isn't a "need" in my opinion... At least not as much of a need as clean water and clean air. I think we way overuse things like this because of a preference for perfection... Lawn has a weed, must kill it! Even when theres no danger of the weeds choking the lawn... Purely for aesthetics.

That being said, I think the end consumer should have the information needed to make their own informed decision about whether to eat a product or not.

I want to know if glyphosate was sprayed on the grains that made the bread or pasta I'm eating.

I want to know if the grain was washed thoroughly with something capable of removing residue before the grain was processed into flour.

I want to know that the mill is differentiating between tanks that held unwashed grain and tanks that held washed grain.

Frankly, it pisses me off that I have no visibility into this, and I eat very little bread, cereal and pasta as a result. If the industry doesn't want my money, I'm happy to take it to the organic farmer's market.

Not directed at you, btw. This is the issue that led me to ATS, and its no less of a hot button today, apparently, lol.

posted on Mar, 16 2017 @ 06:36 PM
link   
a reply to: CantStandIt

I want to know if glyphosate was sprayed on the grains that made the bread or pasta I'm eating.

Thats just it, we're not being told. It's used as a desiccant prior to harvest, so it, or it's byproducts will be entering the food supply.

I want to know if the grain was washed thoroughly with something capable of removing residue before the grain was processed into flour
I don't think that happens. In the 90's I worked at a barley malt plant. It was at the beginning of the glyphosphate being used as a desiccant revolution. We put the word out that any producer that used Roundup as a desiccant, we would not select their barley for purchase. At the same time, we had no ability to check for the substance, so it was just a scare tactic in all reality.

Frankly, it pisses me off that I have no visibility into this, and I eat very little bread, cereal and pasta as a result. If the industry doesn't want my money, I'm happy to take it to the organic farmer's market.
Canada is doing a study, the results should be out next month, I'll make a thread when it's available.
Link

“CFIA has planned to test approximately 700 samples consisting of a variety of juice and juice blends, grains and grain products … and a wide variety of fruit and vegetables this fiscal year. We anticipate conducting a similar survey in 2016-17…. Additionally in May 2015, the CFIA initiated a targeted survey of approximately 2,500 samples, looking at levels of glyphosate in bean, pea, lentil, chickpea and soy products as well as less commonly consumed grains such as barley, buckwheat and quinoa.”

The CFIA report on pulses and grains will be released April 2017.

Looks to me like the FDA just backed out of doing any testing, wonder why. Multinationals have way too much power in this day and age.
Link

“As testing for glyphosate will expand to several locations, we are currently working to ensure that the methods are validated for use in these labs. As soon as the validation is completed, testing for glyphosate will resume,” she said. “We cannot speculate on timing at this point.”

Yes, I know what you mean. I actually wasn't aware Roundup was being used to desiccate cereal crops for human consumption until I looked into your post. Thanks for waking me up.

Would it not be smart marketing for a company to come out with a line of products that said 'no pesticide residue' guaranteed? Big bold letters. I recognize there is a need for pesticides and herbicides, but spraying a crop four or five days prior to harvest seems like a bad idea.

The problem with this world is not the governments, it's the Multinationals, they hold the balance of power.

I think its deer in the headlights for most of the people we elect
They get faced with the insurmountable problems even if they have the same views as us

Heres an article on desiccation and how widely it's used.
Link

edit on 16-3-2017 by D8Tee because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 16 2017 @ 07:15 PM
link   
I thought by now it was widely acknowledged that Roundup (glyphosate) is a major contributor to several types of cancer since the 2015 WHO report. There was a 30 year cover-up. I'm wondering why there isn't a class action lawsuit and investigation into why the EPA reclassified the chemical.

On a related note, my father in law had non Hodgkins lymphoma. He worked with this chemical frequently and I personally believe there is a direct correlation.

posted on Mar, 16 2017 @ 07:26 PM
link   

originally posted by: drewlander
I thought by now it was widely acknowledged that Roundup (glyphosate) is a major contributor to several types of cancer since the 2015 WHO report. There was a 30 year cover-up. I'm wondering why there isn't a class action lawsuit and investigation into why the EPA reclassified the chemical.

On a related note, my father in law had non Hodgkins lymphoma. He worked with this chemical frequently and I personally believe there is a direct correlation.

Seems it's complicated.
They'll keep it in the study state for as long as they can.
Kinda like how cigarette smoke doesn't cause cancer.

Glyphosate is a broad-spectrum systemic herbicide. Several epidemiological studies on cancer outcomes following occupational exposure to glyphosate were available. The evaluation of these studies focused on the occurrence of NHL. Overall, there is some evidence of a positive association
between glyphosate exposure and risk of NHL from the case–control studies and the overall metaanalysis. However, it is notable that the only large cohort study of high quality found no evidence of an association at any exposure level.

WHO Link

posted on Mar, 16 2017 @ 07:33 PM
link   

You are right, it is really no doubt in my mind that some level of herbicide is in the processed food chain. How does the body respond to low-level contamination like that? By decontaminating/neutralizing/eliminating what it can, and by attacking in place what it can't, resulting in inflammation.

What is a common denominator in many of the most pervasive diseases in western society? Inflammation.

Is glyphosate THE cause of ALL that? No, there are certainly other contaminants and factors. That doesn't make me feel any better about eating herbicide, though!

I'm really looking forward to the results of the Canadian study. And whatever publicity it gets (or doesn't get) here in the U.S., thank you for the heads-up!

Interesting notes in the FDA article about the combination herbicides, too. The need for those seems driven by... wait for it... weed resistance to glyphosate caused by overuse. Kinda like bacterial resistance to antibiotics.

I'm currently reading up on alternative farming methods (hydroponics, etc)... and how those methods could be applied to staple crops. As I find good stuff, I'll make some threads. So far (very early in my reading) it seems that the growing environment is so controlled with these methods that less herbicides and pesticides are needed than with traditional farming.

Can't agree with you enough about the power special interests have grabbed for themselves. It is a shame one has to be a chemist/nutritionist/biologist in addition to your actual career in order to confirm for oneself just why eating clean is important, and the extent to which special interests suppress information that should be freely available.

for a good thread. S&F!

posted on Mar, 16 2017 @ 07:41 PM
link   

Seems pretty simple to me. Bring these obstructionists to Guantanamoto for a personal tour -- then start asking questions. :-p

thx
-d

posted on Mar, 16 2017 @ 08:03 PM
link   
a reply to: drewlander

Looks like Quaker Oats is being taken to court for false advertising.
While I understand the need for pesticides and herbicides, I don't believe that desiccating crops destined for human consumption several days before harvest is a wise practice. Also, I believe the statement by Quaker is misleading, they are not putting the oats through a cleaning process specifically to wash of the residue, it's part of the process of rolling oats.

link

The company said it puts the oats it receives through a cleansing process. “Any levels of glyphosate that may remain are trace amounts and significantly below any limits which have been set by the E.P.A. as safe for human consumption,” the company said.

A test paid for by lawyers for the plaintiffs, the Richman Law Group, found glyphosate at a level of 1.18 parts per million in a sample of Quaker Oats Quick 1-Minute. This is roughly 4 percent of the 30 parts per million that the Environmental Protection Agency allows in cereal grains.

posted on Mar, 17 2017 @ 12:59 AM
link   
I make a cocktail called the 'Monsanto.'
Half corn liquor and half glyphosate.
Haven't had any return customers.
Life is good.

new topics

top topics

join