It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Trump Budget Proposes Killing All Funding for PBS, NPR and National Endowment for the Arts

page: 5
<< 2  3  4    6 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 16 2017 @ 03:01 PM
link   
a reply to: TinySickTears

Well, I guess I don't care about the taxpayers expense thing; I don't pay taxes anymore, except for property taxes and that's not a very big bill considering I live behind a junk yard.

Yea, its a pretty strange place...............although.......not actually the strangest place I've lived. That would have to be the "golden triangle" area of east Texas. Now there, we're talking bat crap weird.

The kids carry communicable diseases like the flu and measles and such. They play together, they all get sick.

And yea, its a very small gene pool and well, you know.......they fraternize and interests develop and the next thing you know........another one pops out with eyes way too close together.

posted on Mar, 16 2017 @ 03:06 PM
link   
a reply to: amazing

Not for a whole LOT of people:
www.nytimes.com... ng&module=opinion-c-col-right-region®ion=opinion-c-col-right-region&WT.nav=opinion-c-col-right-region

And that story is only the tip of the iceberg. I guess you don't read a lot; ever looked at the stats for the number of people who've dropped altogether out of the labor market? The "Labor Participation Rate" is at a low not seen since the 1970's. And that's not all Obama's fault.......its more to do with a sea change in the types and nature of the modern work environment..........more computers, AI, Robotics..........who needs workers?

link   

originally posted by: Krazysh0t

originally posted by: seasonal
Trump's budget also eliminates the budgets of the national endowment for the arts and the Institute of Museum and Library services.

For a group that constantly complains about liberals destroying history whenever a confederate flag is removed from a building, I'd think you guys would be a bit more up in arms when ACTUAL history is being threatened.

For a guy who touts his own intelligence around here on a daily basis, you sure seem off your game today. You don't honestly think actual history is going to be threatened, ruined, destroyed, etc do you? You can't be THAT naive.

link   

originally posted by: Annee

originally posted by: bigfatfurrytexan
. . . fix the dynamic whereby a department is encouraged to spend their entire budget or risk losing it.

OH!! Major pet peeve of mine.

"If you don't spend your budget, you get less the following year, because OBVIOUSLY - - you don't need it all".

I was at a company where they scrambled at end of fiscal year to spend to the last cent. Didn't need what they spent it on - - but, didn't want budget cut.

Is this STUPID, or what?

From the perspective of a corporate controller, its irresponsible use of ownership funds. From the perspective of an operations manager, its protecting your departments funding.

A terrible dynamic on the latter, but the proper view with the former.
Especially when you get operational tunnel vision. Perhaps the view could be mediated to, "We need to figure out how to most effectively spend our entire budget to both protect next years funding while maximizing operational functionality". You know, spend more but do it wisely and on things that retain value longer or add more value into what you're doing.

posted on Mar, 16 2017 @ 03:09 PM
link   

originally posted by: TinySickTears
a reply to: Sillyolme

What a shame. I think this bothers me most so far out of all his #.
Let's get rid of libraries and museums....
Really sucks.
My wife and I are at the library all the time. My daughter loves it. We get dozens of books a week.
For shame.
So anything g liberal must go.
Arts and humanities must go.
Talk about moving backwards

Oh goodness you don't actually think he's getting rid of libraries and museums do you?
Please tell me you don't think that. No, you don't think that.
You're just spouting lefty hyperbole.
Whew.

posted on Mar, 16 2017 @ 03:10 PM
link   

originally posted by: TonyS
a reply to: amazing

Not for a whole LOT of people:
www.nytimes.com... ng&module=opinion-c-col-right-region®ion=opinion-c-col-right-region&WT.nav=opinion-c-col-right-region

And that story is only the tip of the iceberg. I guess you don't read a lot; ever looked at the stats for the number of people who've dropped altogether out of the labor market? The "Labor Participation Rate" is at a low not seen since the 1970's. And that's not all Obama's fault.......its more to do with a sea change in the types and nature of the modern work environment..........more computers, AI, Robotics..........who needs workers?

Understood, but for most people. I have family and friends all over the country in every demographic and I run a small business...so I know from practicle experience and I'm not saying this from a bubble in one little area. For most people the economy and every other thing with this country got Better under Obama. It could have all been a coincidence too. I'm just saying that the country didn't tank under obama.

posted on Mar, 16 2017 @ 03:32 PM
link   

originally posted by: stolencar18

originally posted by: Krazysh0t

Trump's budget also eliminates the budgets of the national endowment for the arts and the Institute of Museum and Library services.

For a group that constantly complains about liberals destroying history whenever a confederate flag is removed from a building, I'd think you guys would be a bit more up in arms when ACTUAL history is being threatened.

For a guy who touts his own intelligence around here on a daily basis, you sure seem off your game today. You don't honestly think actual history is going to be threatened, ruined, destroyed, etc do you? You can't be THAT naive.

Hmmm... Ad hominem? Not worth it. Moving on.

posted on Mar, 16 2017 @ 04:37 PM
link   
PBS is boring and stale these days. NPR is tax funded and not very widely listened to. the shows on NPR are boring too. we do not need nationalized radio when free market radio works much better. All stations now do what NPR used to do as in broadcast emergencies and news as well.

The national endowment for the arts..would be better off with private funding. and then they could have more leeway on what is art.

posted on Mar, 16 2017 @ 04:41 PM
link   

a reply to: Krazysh0t

Like sesame street?

Sesame street went corporate. they arent funded by PBS anymore. And no this will not shut down Museums(unless they suck) it just cuts off th e overhead and leaves th e museums in th e curators control instead.

posted on Mar, 16 2017 @ 04:43 PM
link   

originally posted by: odzeandennz
Making America "great" again.... one one social and cultural intellectual section of the country at a time.

Next, let remove emission standards for vehicles, renew our vows to private prisons, a la 'Sessions', and start a new war of maryjane!

I can feel the greatness boiling in my blood.

You skipped that streams can be dumped into again and funds to control beach pollution is to be slashed.

posted on Mar, 16 2017 @ 04:50 PM
link   

originally posted by: Ceeker63
I never could figure out why these programs where in the budget to begin with. They are supported by many people. I do not know if they really needed the money from the government to run the show or the programs.

Those programs are in the budget so that people like you can figure out the difference between were and where.

posted on Mar, 16 2017 @ 04:56 PM
link   
The government had no business stealing our money to give to these cronies in the first place. If these organizations are truly worthwhile, they will receive all the revenue they need from the private sector.

posted on Mar, 16 2017 @ 05:02 PM
link   
I am by no means a Liberal but I love PBS, I have since I was a small child. Sesame Street, Electric Company, 321 Contact, Mr. Rogers, Are You Being Served, Who's Line is it Anyway, Hometime, Austin City Limits, all the music specials, all the cooking shows, NOVA, etc..... For me Public Broadcasting isn't about politics, its about learning. I still think all these shows are a treasure and beneficial.

posted on Mar, 16 2017 @ 05:47 PM
link   

You don't honestly think actual history is going to be threatened, ruined, destroyed, etc do you?

Yes, Texas replaced Thomas Jefferson with capitalism in their schools, so think of how much damage the Republicans can do at the national level.

posted on Mar, 16 2017 @ 06:02 PM
link   
The Art of the Deal...ask for the most outrageous thing you can come up with....then get what you want and look like you compromised....Beautiful

posted on Mar, 16 2017 @ 06:10 PM
link   

originally posted by: Sillyolme
a reply to: jjkenobi

But you know..there's always Friday night at the bowling alley or barbecuing out of a giant sideways garbage pail if ya want entertainment.

When are you gonna subsidize my bowling night?
edit on 16-3-2017 by rockintitz because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 16 2017 @ 09:35 PM
link   
Until today, I have never visited the National Public Radio website. Now it's clear to me why not one dollar of my taxpayer dollars should go to this media outlet. National Public Radio is controlled by the minority/loser party.

Holy Smokes! www.npr.org...

What other Democrat-controlled organization are my taxpayer dollars going to?

posted on Mar, 16 2017 @ 09:50 PM
link   
oh, I can't wait for the National Book Burning Party!! It will be so much fun!!

If I am reading things right, it also cuts all federal funding for the meals on wheels also...
so, well.... hope you younger folks don't mind spending time out of your day running some food to your elderly parents or grandparents... gee. I don't know, you might actually have to relocate back to your hometown, or find an extra room for them to move into your home... but, heck that's a few million saved, right, well, no, not really, it's just a few million shifted over to defense, because we can never have enough bombs to drop on the little children half way around the world!! really, it's probably isn't any savings at all, since without meals on wheels, some of these elderly folks will have to be place in nursing homes, which is far more costly than running them a couple meals every day, but what the heck....

posted on Mar, 16 2017 @ 10:18 PM
link   
a reply to: dawnstar

The government sends $3 Billion dollars to the states. Meals-on-Wheels is just one way that states utilize the funds. Some states have great Meals-On-Wheels programs, and other states use the $$$ for other things. (fyi..Illinois politicians STEAL the government money.)

On Average, just the meals, cost taxpayers $2,700 for 250 meals per recipient, per year.

Source: www.marketwatch.com...

How many of you have eaten a Meals-On-Wheels meal? In July 2016, my 97 year-old Dad (Michigan) decided to go back to spending his meager retirement income for groceries, rather than endure the meals-on-wheels "delicacies" another week.

posted on Mar, 16 2017 @ 11:20 PM
link   
a reply to: carewemust

97 years, that is quite impressive, how is his health?

new topics

top topics

<< 2  3  4    6 >>

join