It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Trump Budget Proposes Killing All Funding for PBS, NPR and National Endowment for the Arts

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 16 2017 @ 10:17 AM
link   
Trump is cutting funding for the sacred cows that have been allowed to take tax $$ when they are very profitable.

President Donald Trump made good on a long-time conservative goal in his first proposed budget Thursday morning, targeting the Corporation for Public Broadcasting and the National Endowments for the Arts and Humanities for complete elimination.

Trumps budget would zero out the budget for Corp Public Broadcasting. This is a small part of their funding for public TV and NPR. Trump's budget also eliminates the budgets of the national endowment for the arts and the Institute of Museum and Library services.

Trump’s budget would zero out the $445 million budget for the Corporation for Public Broadcasting, a relatively small source of funding for programming and broadcast operations on public TV stations and NPR radio stations nationwide, per the Washington Post.

The budget would also eliminate the budgets for both national endowments, which stood at $148 million each in 2016, as well as $230 million for the Institute of Museum and Library Services, which supports libraries and museums. Additional cuts would affect two tourist mainstays in Washington, D.C., the Smithsonian Institution and the National Gallery of Art.
www.thewrap.com...

De-funding Corp for Public Broadcasting is unlikely to cripple PBS or NPR, they get less than 1% and 7% in that order. I bet there is going to be a huge out cry though.

Defunding the Corporation for Public Broadcasting is unlikely to cripple either PBS or NPR. NPR received less than 1 percent of its revenue from the CPB, and PBS less than 7 percent, according to data from 2014 reported in the Washington Post.

+2 more 
posted on Mar, 16 2017 @ 10:21 AM
link   
If people want those services they can step up their donations and keep them on the air.

posted on Mar, 16 2017 @ 10:23 AM
link   
Those programs are highly liberal. PBS usually tends to be neutral, but as you say they are not going to lose much. Public broadcasting can deal with the loss of seven percent I think.

I like PBS, they do have a lot of big donators that give them money. They have fundraisers and do all right.

posted on Mar, 16 2017 @ 10:31 AM
link   

originally posted by: jjkenobi
If people want those services they can step up their donations and keep them on the air.
because the poor have money to fund access to knowledge. Right on.

posted on Mar, 16 2017 @ 10:35 AM
link   
a reply to: Milehigh

"Access to knowledge" should be non-partisan if it is supported with government money. No one party should get a free ride on propaganda.
edit on 16-3-2017 by joemoe because: Shamrock6 thanks the word I'm looking for should be non partisan instead of bipartisan

+3 more 
posted on Mar, 16 2017 @ 10:36 AM
link   
a reply to: rickymouse

We get it. Anything liberal is on the purge list.

posted on Mar, 16 2017 @ 10:45 AM
link   

originally posted by: joemoe
a reply to: Milehigh

"Access to knowledge" should be bipartisan if it is supported with government money. No one party should get a free ride on propaganda.

Why should "access to knowledge" be partisan at all?

posted on Mar, 16 2017 @ 10:46 AM
link   

originally posted by: seasonal
Trump is cutting funding for the sacred cows that have been allowed to take tax $$ when they are very profitable.

President Donald Trump made good on a long-time conservative goal in his first proposed budget Thursday morning, targeting the Corporation for Public Broadcasting and the National Endowments for the Arts and Humanities for complete elimination.

Trumps budget would zero out the budget for Corp Public Broadcasting. This is a small part of their funding for public TV and NPR. Trump's budget also eliminates the budgets of the national endowment for the arts and the Institute of Museum and Library services.

Trump’s budget would zero out the $445 million budget for the Corporation for Public Broadcasting, a relatively small source of funding for programming and broadcast operations on public TV stations and NPR radio stations nationwide, per the Washington Post.

The budget would also eliminate the budgets for both national endowments, which stood at $148 million each in 2016, as well as $230 million for the Institute of Museum and Library Services, which supports libraries and museums. Additional cuts would affect two tourist mainstays in Washington, D.C., the Smithsonian Institution and the National Gallery of Art.
www.thewrap.com...

De-funding Corp for Public Broadcasting is unlikely to cripple PBS or NPR, they get less than 1% and 7% in that order. I bet there is going to be a huge out cry though.

Defunding the Corporation for Public Broadcasting is unlikely to cripple either PBS or NPR. NPR received less than 1 percent of its revenue from the CPB, and PBS less than 7 percent, according to data from 2014 reported in the Washington Post.

They need to start cutting a lot of that stuff. Politically though he also needs to cut some cherised by Republicans. Personally, I think he'd have an easier time just demanding a 10% cut across the board.

+2 more 
posted on Mar, 16 2017 @ 10:47 AM
link   

Trump's budget also eliminates the budgets of the national endowment for the arts and the Institute of Museum and Library services.

For a group that constantly complains about liberals destroying history whenever a confederate flag is removed from a building, I'd think you guys would be a bit more up in arms when ACTUAL history is being threatened.

posted on Mar, 16 2017 @ 10:49 AM
link   
a reply to: Krazysh0t

Like sesame street?

posted on Mar, 16 2017 @ 10:52 AM
link   

Like sesame street?

Once more with bold:

Trump's budget also eliminates the budgets of the national endowment for the arts and the Institute of Museum and Library services.

What do you think the bolded services do?

posted on Mar, 16 2017 @ 10:52 AM
link   
Going after funding for PBS, NPR and National Endowment for the Arts is a purely political move and not one meant to make the government more fiscally sound.

There are better things he could be directing his attention towards if he had budgetary concerns.

posted on Mar, 16 2017 @ 10:56 AM
link   
a reply to: jjkenobi

People who never go to museums and libraries naturally think this is wasted money.
Like picking up a book would kill them. Lol.
When they were young most of our trips with the boys were to museums and historical sights.
We called them vacations. Others called it culture. Either way the value was immeasurable.
But you know..there's always Friday night at the bowling alley or barbecuing out of a giant sideways garbage pail if ya want entertainment.

posted on Mar, 16 2017 @ 10:56 AM
link   

"Actual history"?

You some kinda Civil War denier or what?

posted on Mar, 16 2017 @ 10:58 AM
link   
Well hopefully it's not crippling for PBS. I used to skip elementary school to stay home and watch PBS KIDS with my dad all day, and NOVA Docs.

-Alee

+2 more 
posted on Mar, 16 2017 @ 10:59 AM
link   
So the working class and poor get screwed over while the military-industrial complex gets another handout? Good thing we elected someone that isn't like every other politician.

I also find it interesting how little money he has set aside for the wall. Most estimates put costs around $30 billion or more. Yet he only has a little over $1 billion going to its construction.

posted on Mar, 16 2017 @ 11:00 AM
link   

originally posted by: NthOther

"Actual history"?

You some kinda Civil War denier or what?

Anything to say about my point or are you just planning on taking my words out of context so you can get into a Civil War argument with me? I'd like to know so I know if I should ignore you now and not waste my time responding further to potentially off topic remarks.
edit on 16-3-2017 by Krazysh0t because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 16 2017 @ 11:01 AM
link   

originally posted by: introvert
Going after funding for PBS, NPR and National Endowment for the Arts is a purely political move and not one meant to make the government more fiscally sound.

There are better things he could be directing his attention towards if he had budgetary concerns.

I agree. I don't think we should be funding that stuff at the federal level, but I do think it is wrong politically to go after them in such a huge way. This is why I'd prefer an across the board cut so that everyone has some skin in the game.

posted on Mar, 16 2017 @ 11:02 AM
link   

originally posted by: Sillyolme
a reply to: jjkenobi

People who never go to museums and libraries naturally think this is wasted money.
Like picking up a book would kill them. Lol.
When they were young most of our trips with the boys were to museums and historical sights.
We called them vacations. Others called it culture. Either way the value was immeasurable.
But you know..there's always Friday night at the bowling alley or barbecuing out of a giant sideways garbage pail if ya want entertainment.

Not a waste of money, but Federal government shouldn't be funding it. Where in our constitution does it say anything about funding museums?

If that stuff is important, then people need to step up and fund it themselves.

posted on Mar, 16 2017 @ 11:03 AM
link   
We spend $1.40 for every $1.00 in taken in.

Make some damn cuts. Yes it will sting.

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join