It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Why are there so many handbags depicted in ancient art? Why is this a global phenomenon?

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 16 2017 @ 08:55 AM
link   
Why are there so many handbags depicted in ancient art forms like stone carvings, statues, paintings...
In these works or art people/gods/deities are seen carrying this mysterious handbag/purse, signaling it's importance. Why is this handbag featured so dominantly in ancient times.
The first examples of the handbag symbol are found at Gobekli Tepe, an ancient Neolithic sanctuary dating back to 10.000 BC
Through the history of the Mesopotamian region the sumerians babylonians and assyrians have dedicated many hours of hard work creating works of art in which the Annunaki can be seen holding these mysterious handbags.
In Egypt, kings and gods are seen carrying the Ankh. Could it be that the Ankh holds the same symbolic meaning as the handbag.
In Mexico in La Venta and in Tula we can see large stone statues holding the same familiar handbag.
Even in Indonesia there are several examples of ancient carvings showing this theme.

+27 more 
posted on Mar, 16 2017 @ 08:58 AM
link   
Hard for me to comment on the handbag when the person holding it is wearing a watch.

posted on Mar, 16 2017 @ 08:58 AM
link   
they are stool bags. so when they gotta go they go there. then they spread the love all across the world. That's why so many fruits, veggies, grass, trees were always green

posted on Mar, 16 2017 @ 09:01 AM
link   
a reply to: SirBlackKnight

posted on Mar, 16 2017 @ 09:09 AM
link   

I mean is it so inconceivable that different peoples could come up with the idea of carrying things in a bag to make it easier to transport things?

posted on Mar, 16 2017 @ 09:12 AM
link   
Hey, you could fit an I-phone in one of those things along with the battery charger. You could also carry money around with it, since they didn't have charge cards back then and money was heavy, you would need it. I don't see many pockets on the clothes back then.

posted on Mar, 16 2017 @ 09:16 AM
link   
a reply to: Krazysh0t

That's true.
It's also true that a frying pan is an excellent tool for frying fish and to carry it to the lunch table. The last time I checked facebook I haven't noticed many selfies with a frying pan. People in ancient times spend hours and hours on these works of art which were often displayed in religious places.

posted on Mar, 16 2017 @ 09:27 AM
link   

IF you look at the clothes the people in question are wearing, you'll notice a distinct lack of pockets.

posted on Mar, 16 2017 @ 09:35 AM
link   

Sorry mate but having a small bag with a carrying handle does seem like a good way of carrying small things around. Unless...

edit on 16-3-2017 by metalman because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 16 2017 @ 09:37 AM
link   

So you've never seen a basket used for religious purposes before?

posted on Mar, 16 2017 @ 09:53 AM
link   

Do you think the "artist" that carved the likeness would have thought it necessary to mention in the art?

posted on Mar, 16 2017 @ 09:54 AM
link   

It's not the basket, it's the meaning of the basket as a symbol that counts.

posted on Mar, 16 2017 @ 09:54 AM
link   
Tax collectors could use bags like that.

posted on Mar, 16 2017 @ 09:59 AM
link   

Maybe it was because wrap-around sarong types of dress did not have pockets because they had not been invented yet? Or more likely, the purses signified something special and secret.

posted on Mar, 16 2017 @ 10:12 AM
link   
a reply to: seasonal

I don't know. I'm not the artist. I just don't see it as that unlikely that ancient civilizations could come up with the idea of a handbag or basket without influence from a different civilization.

posted on Mar, 16 2017 @ 10:13 AM
link   

originally posted by: SirBlackKnight

It's not the basket, it's the meaning of the basket as a symbol that counts.

Except we don't know what the meaning is. You are just trying to use our lack of knowledge on the subject as an excuse to say, "...therefore Aliens".

posted on Mar, 16 2017 @ 10:15 AM
link   
Looks like the handiwork of those famous Roman designers Dolcius and Gabbanicus.

posted on Mar, 16 2017 @ 10:21 AM
link   

I bet they did have woven bags. It is either of major importance or it is mundane and everyone has and uses them.

Mundane- why carve it in to what is a history book?

Major importance- I would think it would be carved.

Oh the guy has angle wings and as another post says he is wearing what appears to be a watch.
edit on 16-3-2017 by seasonal because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 16 2017 @ 10:24 AM
link   
a reply to: seasonal

You are reading too far into the artist's reasons without knowing the artist's intentions. Something which is impossible for us to do since the artist is long dead.

Could it be significant? Sure. I guess so, but just because it can be significant doesn't mean it is.

posted on Mar, 16 2017 @ 10:24 AM
link   
They were probably carrying ammo for adulterers.

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join