It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Sessions vows crackdown on drug dealing and gun crime

page: 2
<< 1    3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 16 2017 @ 10:24 AM
link   

originally posted by: Krazysh0t
a reply to: bigfatfurrytexan

Say what you want about politicians, but at least they know what they are doing. Sure they may be prone to corruption, but a politician is a professional in the same way a mechanic is a professional or a lawyer is a professional. I don't hire a mechanic to do my taxes, and I don't want a businessman being a politician.

Interestingly, the Founders thought differently. "Politician" was not considered a career trade. All citizens were permitted to hold office, much as all would be "citizen soldiers."
Better a businessman than a known criminal.

posted on Mar, 16 2017 @ 10:30 AM
link   
a reply to: pteridine

Maybe so, but at the same time the Founding Fathers were mostly career politicians as well. George Washington was one of the few exceptions.

posted on Mar, 16 2017 @ 10:32 AM
link   
a reply to: pteridine

that's exactly right, they weren't dwelling in DC raking in big bucks. they came a couple of times during a year, voted on the nations business and went home, where they dealt with the same problems that joe and nacny blow had. they even ran into them on the streets of their home towns while taking care of the their business, farms, shops and what have you.

no the modern day politician is a far cry from what they were meant to be in this country.

posted on Mar, 16 2017 @ 10:34 AM
link   
Good god, how many people do you think could read, write, arithmetic and owned land back then? They were the politicians. Comparing apples and oranges between now and the beginning.

posted on Mar, 16 2017 @ 10:35 AM
link   
a reply to: TrueBrit

embuggering

Oh TB you never let me down . Mind you google nearly broke trying to work out what that meant .
And yes , i am a old world word stalker .

posted on Mar, 16 2017 @ 10:38 AM
link   

Say what you want about politicians, but at least they know what they are doing.

On that we cannot argue. Of course, the crew from Oceans 11 knew what they were doing as well....and its similar.

Sure they may be prone to corruption, but a politician is a professional in the same way a mechanic is a professional or a lawyer is a professional. I don't hire a mechanic to do my taxes, and I don't want a businessman being a politician.

I don't want politicians to exist. Our nation is of the people, by the people, and for the people. Having a leadership class of politicians is the exact same thing as the monarchy we left behind. I want our government made of businessmen, intellectuals, and other professionals.

Running a country isn't rocket science. And it doesn't take specialization to do it. That is a fallacy pushed on us by the two party system who want to keep locking everyone out, so its a system of the people, by the stooges and for the oligarchs.

posted on Mar, 16 2017 @ 10:40 AM
link   

I disagree. Our government and its laws have become WAY too complicated for someone without political experience to handle it well. Keep in mind that not ALL politicians are inherently corrupt, AND not all non-politicians are necessarily not corrupt.

The actions define the man, not the profession. There are some honorable and good politicians out there, just like in any other career. I know that is blasphemy on ATS, but it is true.
edit on 16-3-2017 by Krazysh0t because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 16 2017 @ 10:45 AM
link   

Say what you want about politicians, but at least they know what they are doing.

Course they dont!

They are a bunch of retards!

That is why you have the Oranage idiot in office!

If politicans knew what they where doing you would not have a oranage ape in the white house!

If polticans knew what they where doing they would never have run hillary as his opposition!

posted on Mar, 16 2017 @ 10:52 AM
link   

I disagree. Our government and its laws have become WAY too complicated for someone without political experience to handle it well.

And that is the problem. Our laws should be accessible to the average person. How can I live in a just society when Im admittedly too dull to understand its laws? Don't you see this? They aren't Gods....they are idiots. They have created a system of governance that amounts to a Rube Goldburg contraption to make people think we need them. We never did...and we need to make it accessible to the average person once again.

Keep in mind that not ALL politicians are inherently corrupt, AND not all non-politicians are necessarily not corrupt.

The actions define the man, not the profession. There are some honorable and good politicians out there, just like in any other career. I know that is blasphemy on ATS, but it is true.

No, there aren't. Not if it means that an intelligent person not groomed within their system is incapable of doing their jobs. You have said that you don't want a businessman as POTUS, then say that the profession doesn't define the man?

Major, major disconnect in logic here.

posted on Mar, 16 2017 @ 10:55 AM
link   

originally posted by: crazyewok

Course they dont!

They are a bunch of retards!

That is why you have the Oranage idiot in office!

We have an orange idiot in office because people are easily duped by propaganda and confirmation biases.

If politicans knew what they where doing you would not have a oranage ape in the white house!

If polticans knew what they where doing they would never have run hillary as his opposition!

This has nothing to do with politicians' ineptitude.

posted on Mar, 16 2017 @ 10:58 AM
link   

originally posted by: bigfatfurrytexan
And that is the problem. Our laws should be accessible to the average person. How can I live in a just society when Im admittedly too dull to understand its laws? Don't you see this? They aren't Gods....they are idiots. They have created a system of governance that amounts to a Rube Goldburg contraption to make people think we need them. We never did...and we need to make it accessible to the average person once again.

Yet they still needed politicians during our Founding Fathers' days when all we had was the Constitution and the Bill of Rights.

No, there aren't. Not if it means that an intelligent person not groomed within their system is incapable of doing their jobs. You have said that you don't want a businessman as POTUS, then say that the profession doesn't define the man?

Major, major disconnect in logic here.

Only if you willfully ignore my point earlier about a businessman not being the correct professional for the job; thus it means that I don't want a businessman as a politician for experience and knowledge reasons. Not because I think a businessman is corrupt just for being a businessman. Context matters here.

posted on Mar, 16 2017 @ 11:03 AM
link   
a reply to: Krazysh0t

We needed statemen, not politicians. We were a fledgling nation that was trying to survive after defeating the greatest empire in the world to gain our freedom. Sure, that empire didn't fight that hard against us...but still.

So we had the Franklins and Jeffersons, but mostly because they were the most intelligent men on Earth at the time. Franklin in particular was a mind that dwarfed the greatest alive.

And make no mistake: there was plenty of arguing amongst the founders. Many of them actually wanted another monarchy, because that is what they were accustomed to and was all the knew. The inclusion of enlightened philosophist cum politicians was what kept us from developing into a monarchy.

We have the Orange Ape in the white house because the crooked politicians on the left tried to rig their half of the election, leaving the only candidate Trump would have beaten running against him. It was the crooked politicans losing to the businessman.

posted on Mar, 16 2017 @ 11:08 AM
link   

Look. All I'm saying is that politicians aren't inherently bad. I'm not saying our political situation is desirable or that our current crop of politicians are the best politicians to ever grace politics. I just see them as better able to accomplish things within the government than someone who has no experience working with the government. Political qualifications should matter, and if corruption was so important to Americans then they should do a better job vetting their candidates before voting. Not just blindly accept someone because he isn't a politician and promises answers to all our problems.

Though this isn't a thread about the Pumpkin in Chief. It's about Sessions and his coming War on Drugs.
edit on 16-3-2017 by Krazysh0t because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 16 2017 @ 11:11 AM
link   

Yeah, the broad brush is always wrong.

But if i were to judge what we call "politicians" on their job performance, im left with only one option: grow a new crop to replace the old, diseased one.

posted on Mar, 16 2017 @ 11:17 AM
link   

But if i were to judge what we call "politicians" on their job performance, im left with only one option: grow a new crop to replace the old, diseased one.

The problem is that we are focusing on and replacing the wrong politicians. Congress is where all the government dissatisfaction resides, yet we keep reelecting the same yahoos to be Congressmen. Then we turn around and blame the President for Congress' ineptitude. This creates a feedback loop where we end up convincing ourselves that a non-politician would make a better President than a politician. All so we don't have to confront the TRUE elephant in the room. Congress' inability to compromise and work together anymore.

posted on Mar, 16 2017 @ 11:25 AM
link   
So where in this statement does sessions say he is going to crackdown on state legislated recreational/medical cannabis?

Where in this statement dies he even mention cannabis?

posted on Mar, 16 2017 @ 11:35 AM
link   

LOL, ill drive you crazy today.

I think the problems in America tend to arise when Congress works together to try to solve problems. Epecially problems they typically are too far apart to solve together. Examples include

- The Patriot Act, create in a bipartisan manner as Congress came together to fight terror, which as it turns out looks more like spying on Americans and groping people as they board flights.

- NDAA, see above. The pretext of terror is used as fulcrum which all the folks in DC apply their levers.

- Espionage Act, where you can be imprisoned for speaking out against the government, or whistleblowing, was passed in response to WWI

- the Bipartisan Campaign Reform Act, which essentially only limited political free speech to the average person. This one was written and sponsored by a D and an R, and was passed before being gutted under SCOTUS review

- Public Law 503, the internment of the Japanese during WWII, had popular support

When those jackals come together to work on something, it usually ends up wit a red hot poker being used on Americans. I don't want them working together. In fact, it shouldn't be unusual for an entire lifetime to pass without an act of congress to pass.

posted on Mar, 16 2017 @ 11:37 AM
link   

The problem is that we are focusing on and replacing the wrong politicians. Congress is where all the government dissatisfaction resides, yet we keep reelecting the same yahoos to be Congressmen. Then we turn around and blame the President for Congress' ineptitude. This creates a feedback loop where we end up convincing ourselves that a non-politician would make a better President than a politician. All so we don't have to confront the TRUE elephant in the room. Congress' inability to compromise and work together anymore.

And, in a similar way, don't blame the Attorney General for saying that he intends to enforce the laws that Congress has enacted. That is his job.

Aim your rhetorical and activist guns at Congress - and lobby for them to change the Federal drug (and other) laws that you think ought to be changed. Don't lambaste the AG for prosecuting people who break the laws that are on the books - change the books!

posted on Mar, 16 2017 @ 11:37 AM
link   

If anyone still had any doubts about Sessions' intentions in regards to the war on drugs and more importantly, legalizing marijuana, this will put those doubts to rest.

Actually it didn't...
Same things happened when prohibition on alcohol was ended.
Is the sky ever not falling with you all?
Does the left even begin to understand the logistics of putting this green genie back in the bottle?
There isn't enough DEA agents in existence to enforce the federal laws in states like Colorado.

Sure I have my issues with Sessions. He certainly appears to be running on outdated information. But willing to give him a chance just like I gave the previous administrations a chance. If properly educated he would probably come around. Unlike liberals, conservatives are able to make decisions as an individual rather than having to consult their collective group think tanks.

I'm still waiting for the left to acknowledge the Obama administration raided more medical marijuana(cannabis) facilities than the Bush administration. But IPD(identity politics disorder) prevents actual rational thinking.
The kind that is clearly on display in this thread.

I will stand by my theory that this is a tactic to get congress to act and finally legalize it.

posted on Mar, 16 2017 @ 11:45 AM
link   
a reply to: mobiusmale

So here's what will happen: the DNC will try to use legalization of pot as a plank to get the midterms to swing in their favor. The GOP has already moved to block any legalization efforts on The Hill. WHich is hilarious. The DNC had all of government in their control and never once made a move. Now that they aren't in power, they are using it to wedge back into their bloc.

LOL....hypocritical oligarchs. Using our freedom as a carrot to dangle in front of Americans in exchange for votes. This, my friends, is exactly why im opposed to welfare in concept. The government can give or take whatever it wants from you, and then ransom it back in exchange for votes by capitalizing on their own version of Stockholm. People become so thankful to get some reward that they forget it was theirs to begin with.

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3  4 >>

join