It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

A380 wake turbulence flips CL-604

page: 3
<< 1  2   >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 16 2017 @ 01:01 PM
link   
a reply to: Flipper35

They stalled the 717, and it rolled onto its back, and the attitude indicator went solid brown.

posted on Mar, 16 2017 @ 01:29 PM
link   
a reply to: Zaphod58

Challenger 604 RAAF
Photo By Jeff Gilbert - jetphotos.net..., GFDL 1.2, commons.wikimedia.org...
(Wikipedia)

For those that don't know. Cropped the size a little and converted to a GIF.

Holy sh#!! That is just crazy! At least 3... possibly 5 times! And they landed! Just wow. What a crew! What a plane! My mind boggles...

posted on Mar, 16 2017 @ 01:31 PM
link   
Only happened to me in cross control stalls. In a trainer it is fun, as are spins. An airliner, I would imagine not so much.
One XB-49 was lost during stall tests. Or that is the theory anyway.

posted on Mar, 16 2017 @ 01:38 PM
link   
a reply to: TEOTWAWKIAIFF

I want that crew flying anything I get on from now on.

posted on Mar, 16 2017 @ 11:08 PM
link   

originally posted by: Zaphod58
a reply to: Flipper35

They stalled the 717, and it rolled onto its back, and the attitude indicator went solid brown.

I'm pretty sure my indicator would go solid brown, too.

posted on Mar, 16 2017 @ 11:48 PM
link   
Oh, lordy....man o man....God love em

Did you guys know in the 60's a DC9 went in inverted at the threshold while doing touch and go's....at Greater Southwest Airport.....before DFW Regional came to be.....on the same cow pasture but north a couple miles.....DC8 45 seconds in front of him......

And it hit on the windshield.........dang AirBus....it's worse when ya have all your trash hangin out too, huh!

posted on Mar, 20 2017 @ 03:30 AM
link   

originally posted by: Zaphod58
a reply to: Azureblue

Reduced Vertical Separation Minimums, RVSM. They used to required 2,000 feet vertical separation between two aircraft. But after doing studies with the largest aircraft in use, at the time, they found that you could safely fly within 1,000 feet vertically of another aircraft.

The CL-604 is a business jet built by Bombardier. It's part of their 600 series, which is a pretty popular aircraft. It's not a very large aircraft at 68 feet, with a 64 foot wingspan.

Thanks for the clairifications, much apprecieted. Was the 604 flying at right angles to the A380 of head on?

posted on Mar, 20 2017 @ 09:43 AM
link   
a reply to: Azureblue

From the sound of the report they were head on, going under the A380.

posted on Mar, 20 2017 @ 10:50 AM
link   

They must have been off to one side, right? Because otherwise the smaller craft would have passed right through the middle of the two vortices, rather than getting swept up in one big rotation, which is what appeared to happen here. So they must have been a little to either right or left, to get caught in one or the other of the two streams?

posted on Mar, 20 2017 @ 11:14 AM
link   
a reply to: TrueBrit

They probably were slightly offset, but it's not clear exactly yet how they approached.

posted on Mar, 20 2017 @ 11:41 AM
link   

Tell me this Zaphod58...

Is there an "Impossibles" club for pilots and air crews? You know, a little meet up of people who have just done incredible, next door to impossible crap with aircraft? I just have this image of Sully Sullenberger's crew from the Hudson River ferry/aircraft, and the crew from this incredible, crazy ride hanging out, nodding at one another respectfully, and being reassured that at their secret club house, no one is going to ask for autographs!

posted on Mar, 20 2017 @ 11:55 AM
link   
a reply to: TrueBrit

It's more of an informal thing. There needs to be a group though, and they need to become instructors, especially in CRM. Without good CRM there was no way any of them would have made it.

<< 1  2   >>

join