It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

ATS Members - When Do YOU Think We Will Travel at Light-Speed?

page: 5
<< 2  3  4   >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 16 2017 @ 09:32 AM
link   

originally posted by: hombero
Never. It's impossible. It would take infinite energy to accelerate any particle(s) that has mass to the speed of light. Now can we manipulate the curvature of spacetime and go "faster" than light? I hope so..

The earth is flat.

posted on Mar, 16 2017 @ 02:43 PM
link   
a reply to: carewemust

I do think some new revelation of technology or physiological application would have to be discovered to achieve it. So, who knows how long that would be? Or is it necessary even?

And I've always thought it would not be any form of "travelling" (as we use the term)...but more like transference...much like Star Trek's "Beam us up, Scotty"...but much, much faster. Instantaneous in a way we dont quite realize yet.

And it may take us a long time to apply and learn it..unless we get help from elsewhere dimensionally or out/up there...

posted on Mar, 16 2017 @ 03:24 PM
link   
wheres bedlam when we need him.

As for me i have my own theories. We cant go faster than light but maybe theres a way to increase its value....a lot.

Maybe theres a place in southern california where you can watch them do funky stuff relating to this topic and i dont think these are ECM tests playing with the typical usage of kerr effects. This is something else real funky. Stuff you wouldnt believe unless you saw it. Call BS all you want but we're working on some pretty damned interesting things just outside of los angeles. They test it in the strangest of places. Sometimes brazenly. I keep dropping hints. Meanwhile ill be fishing for another fantastic display of blinken and jr and the rest of their friends. Ok theres maybe two people here that even get what im getting at. I exit now.

posted on Mar, 16 2017 @ 06:07 PM
link   
Just to put a damper on it unmanned maybe human on it NEVER.

posted on Mar, 16 2017 @ 06:11 PM
link   
Not possible.

HOWEVER... I still like the idea that someday we're going to figure out enough about reality that we'll be able to "be" someplace without traveling there. Because if science has proven anything, it's that the universe is full of crazy stuff that doesn't make immediate sense, and we're by no means intelligent enough to have figured it all out. And I'll even go out on a limb here and say that we never will.

Not faster than light speed, but something else. I'm not smart enough to know what it is.

posted on Mar, 16 2017 @ 06:13 PM
link   

originally posted by: dfnj2015
The earth is flat.

Not all of it.

posted on Mar, 18 2017 @ 04:27 PM
link   
Interesting

Scientists have imaged light going faster than itself
www.extremetech.com...

posted on Mar, 18 2017 @ 10:30 PM
link   
Still struggling to understand the equation for relativistic time dilation:

I works because it has been verified experimentally.

But what it means is that, at higher than light speed velocity, time becomes imaginary, because you're dealing with the square root of a negative number.

Whether time turns back on itself, branches off into a parallel dimension, or just ceases to exist, we perhaps will never know...
edit on 18-3-2017 by wildespace because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 18 2017 @ 10:40 PM
link   

Quantum entanglement would imply that communication will be faster than the speed of light at some point.

posted on Mar, 18 2017 @ 10:46 PM
link   

originally posted by: D8Tee

Quantum entanglement would imply that communication will be faster than the speed of light at some point.

And I think that our interpretation of quantum entanglement is wrong. No information actually travels faster than light speed, and the so-called entangled particles had their respective states from the beginning. Measuring those states simply gives us the information about them; it doesn't actually give those states to those particles.

posted on Mar, 18 2017 @ 10:55 PM
link   

originally posted by: wildespace

And I think that our interpretation of quantum entanglement is wrong. No information actually travels faster than light speed, and the so-called entangled particles had their respective states from the beginning. Measuring those states simply gives us the information about them; it doesn't actually give those states to those particles.

Yea, I did a quick search and seen that my understanding of quantum entanglement was faulty.

posted on Mar, 18 2017 @ 11:10 PM
link   

Yea, I did a quick search and seen that my understanding of quantum entanglement was faulty.

Well, the official interpretation is that things exist in a "fuzzy" undefined state until we look at them and measure them, upon which they "collapse" into a definite state. I hope you can see how ridiculous it sounds.

I, myself, am a scientifically-minded person... but the current interpretation of quantum physics is where I go apart from the mainstream. I simply can't imagine that the universe exists in a "fuzzy", undefined state that become defined when we look at it or measure it...

posted on Mar, 18 2017 @ 11:49 PM
link   

Well, the official interpretation is that things exist in a "fuzzy" undefined state until we look at them and measure them, upon which they "collapse" into a definite state. I hope you can see how ridiculous it sounds.

I, myself, am a scientifically-minded person... but the current interpretation of quantum physics is where I go apart from the mainstream. I simply can't imagine that the universe exists in a "fuzzy", undefined state that become defined when we look at it or measure it...

I know what you mean.
I think it's a lack of understanding right now in the accepted models, which will be resolved as science progresses.

posted on Mar, 19 2017 @ 12:13 AM
link   
a reply to: wildespace

Until a particle is observed, it really doesn't matter what state it is in.
Come to think of it, as far as we (the non-quantum world) goes, it really doesn't matter in the slightest.
There are a whole hell of a lot of particles which make up our world. Gabazzillions of them. So, what spin one has at any particular instant, really doesn't matter. At all.

edit on 3/19/2017 by Phage because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 19 2017 @ 12:49 AM
link   
I can already move at light speed. I travel at a light speed when I walk about slowly instead of a heavier speeds like running some where.

posted on Mar, 19 2017 @ 05:55 AM
link   
a reply to: Phage

If for nothing else, this Video of Queen was worth it all!

posted on Mar, 19 2017 @ 10:17 AM
link   

originally posted by: Phage

Until a particle is observed, it really doesn't matter what state it is in.
Come to think of it, as far as we (the non-quantum world) goes, it really doesn't matter in the slightest.
There are a whole hell of a lot of particles which make up our world. Gabazzillions of them. So, what spin one has at any particular instant, really doesn't matter. At all.

But the matter isn't with whether a particle's state matters to us. The matter is with our limited (and flawed) ability to know the particle's state.

Particles out there in deep space have a definite state, not a combination of all possible states rolled into one. There's a very cool example proving this - the 21 cm radiation (that's in radio part of the spectrum) from hydrogen atoms in the interstellar space. A hydrogen atom in its lowest energy state has its proton and electron spinning in opposite directions. However, it is possible through collisions with electrons and other atoms, for the hydrogen atom to acquire a small amount of energy which may align the spin of its electron with its proton. With the spins aligned, the hydrogen atom is in a slightly excited state and, if left for a very long time (roughly 10 million years), the electron will spontaneously flip its spin orientation back to the lower energy configuration, emitting a photon in the process:

All of that happens without anyone observing this directly as it happens, and we here on Earth only see it after that radiation has travelled to us for hundreds or thousands of years.
edit on 19-3-2017 by wildespace because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 19 2017 @ 04:29 PM
link   

All of that happens without anyone observing this directly as it happens, and we here on Earth only see it after that radiation has travelled to us for hundreds or thousands of years.

So no need for an observer. Systems don't exist in superposition, never have, never will. It's an inability of humans to explain something so they make it up to fit the model.

posted on Mar, 20 2017 @ 02:53 PM
link   
never its am impossibility humans will kill themselves before we can even exit the solar sistem
humans are a plaque

posted on Mar, 22 2017 @ 02:30 AM
link   
The answer is never. Isn't the issue of traveling FTL and bending space time one and the same? Therefore, there is not a way to cheat to achieve FTL because FTL requires cheating in such a way that it does not exist. Look at it this way, the most powerful force that humans are aware of are the super massive black holes at the center of each and every galaxy. These super massive black holes don't appear to have the energy to create and or sustain a wormhole. The chances of humans mastering the ability to generate an energy source greater than the super massive black hole at the center of the galaxy and be able to control it are 0%.

The Alcubierre drive concept is fascinating. However, if you read the material related to this, the problems surrounding this are enormous. They try to solve the energy required at a lower level than that of a super massive black hole. While these alternatives may prove theoretically viable, I think we are talking a minimum of 1,000 years of research. If the thing is ever tested, it will likely have to be at a distance beyond the solar system. If something went wrong anywhere in the solar system, it could easily destroy the entirety of the solar system. Therefore, I think the possibility of the Accubierre drive actually ever being created and working is 0%.

That is the real answer to the Fermi Paradox, FTL travel is so hard, it is unlikely that it has ever been mastered by any one any where. Therefore, the answer is 0. Interstellar travel will require generational ships. Eventually, we will run into other civilizations that are using generational ships, but, it will happen by accident in the distant future.

top topics

<< 2  3  4   >>

join