It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

ATS Members - When Do YOU Think We Will Travel at Light-Speed?

page: 4
<< 1  2  3    5 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 16 2017 @ 03:00 AM
link   
a reply to: Advantage

No. Moodies fan.

posted on Mar, 16 2017 @ 03:12 AM
link   
We wont ever or need to travel at light speed because inter-dimensional traversal via electromagnetic vortex portals will be the norm in our future. Our future may well already exist and we are already living in the past, in which case its already happening and we are experiencing things here on earth as is the universe which could well be indicative of this! Don't ask me for the mathematical formula for this because it's currently well beyond our current knowledge. But the future mastered this long ago and evidence of this in what people have seen and recorded is sufficient.

posted on Mar, 16 2017 @ 03:13 AM
link   
a reply to: RP2SticksOfDynamite

I remember the future.
Like it was yesterday.

posted on Mar, 16 2017 @ 03:16 AM
link   
I light travel all the time.

Heavy stuff weighs me down so I avoid it.

posted on Mar, 16 2017 @ 04:02 AM
link   
It all brings me back to k-pax.
Perhaps physical transference of matter through acceleration is not required at all.
Mind, or consciousness may be all we need. Technology is a fantastic tool for our bodies...but perhaps philosophy will provide the leap we require to truly explore our universe.

posted on Mar, 16 2017 @ 04:39 AM
link   

originally posted by: Phage
a reply to: BeneGesseritWitch

But only because it would take you like 100 years to get up to light speed;

Fun fact; at an acceleration of 1g it would take pretty darned close to 1 year to reach lightspeed.

Of course, that assumes that you could maintain that rate of acceleration. That's problematic. The faster you go, the more problematic.

Then there is slowing down

posted on Mar, 16 2017 @ 04:45 AM
link   

originally posted by: carewemust
I saw a movie 3 years ago where 4 members of a 5 person crew left orbit, went down to a planet for a few hours, and returned to the orbiting mothership.

The poor bastard who stayed on the ship waiting for the crew to come back, waited 40 YEARS! I had to sit there in the theatre for awhile after to movie had ended, trying to figure out what all I had just seen, LOL.

I really need to watch that movie again...and maybe a 3rd time.

Interstellar was a good movie indeed

posted on Mar, 16 2017 @ 05:12 AM
link   
There will come a time when we are able to generate enough energy to warp space. Traveling at light speed or close to it would be insanely inefficient.

posted on Mar, 16 2017 @ 05:45 AM
link   

originally posted by: Gothmog
a reply to: carewemust

Moving at most 99% of light would use an infinite amount of energy
Moving at near light speed would mean any object would have infinite mass. And would be stretched to an infinite length (i.e. spaghettified )

So , potential answer to your question : Never (unless the Great Einstein was wrong completely
)

Never say never, how do we account for the finite number of sightings of 'not from here' thingys?

Like you said, our current understanding of the laws of Physics preclude light speed travel.

imo, they do it somehow, probably by switching dimensions. From this 3D perspective to the next, instead of right here and now, think everywhere and everywhen.

The Belgian wave photo, showing the 'ripple' effect of the "Time Engines", the Iranian fighter pilot that reported an instantaneous 'jump' of an object out his canopy, the JAL alaskan radar report...

"Japan Air ... intermittent primary target behind you in trail. In-trail, I say again.”

posted on Mar, 16 2017 @ 05:46 AM
link   

originally posted by: projectvxn
There will come a time when we are able to generate enough energy to warp space. Traveling at light speed or close to it would be insanely inefficient.

Everything that can happen, will happen and has already happened.
Time is not on a cycle, there's no way for us to know that the instance of time we are in now is actually the first instance or the 'edge' or reality. The future may already exist.

If traveling at the speed of light is possible, so would be the possibility to exceed the speed of light. And it would have already been possible.

We would have known by now, because it would have already happened.
Time is not a "line" that we're following along.

posted on Mar, 16 2017 @ 05:57 AM
link   
a reply to: Advantage

Well, if time is a wave that sweeps living things along with it perhaps.

If you have been surfing down the beach, time would be a wave that you catch for a ride. As the wave approaches shallow water the wave gathers hieght and also pulls the water in front of it. One can then think of future events as the ocean bottom being exposed as the wave passes. One would learn to create​ a future event or see one comming and be prepared.

As a surfer you leave a wake in your path. All the surfers would leave a wake in their paths. Consider the earth herself as a surfer through the cosmos, as too the stars. All riding the wave of time and leaving a permanent wake.

If one followed the earth's wake into the past one could stop at a point where another planetary or star wake is close enough to move to conventionally.

Then follow the wake forward untill one catches up with the wave of time..

In practice; disappear into the past and reappear somewhere totally different.

edit on 16-3-2017 by Whatsthisthen because: tshpelling mistack

posted on Mar, 16 2017 @ 06:32 AM
link   

originally posted by: projectvxn

Think having to have a controlled self-sustaining black hole. And the energy to control that much gravity

posted on Mar, 16 2017 @ 06:52 AM
link   
a reply to: Phage

You are cooking tonight, ain't ya?

posted on Mar, 16 2017 @ 06:58 AM
link   
a reply to: Phage

Cold hearted orb that rules the night,
Removes the colours from our sight,
Red is gray and yellow white,
But we decide which is right.
And which is an illusion?
Pinprick holes in a colourless sky,
Let insipid figures of light pass by,
The mighty light of ten thousand suns,
Challenges infinity and is soon gone.
Night time, to some a brief interlude,
To others the fear of solitude.
Brave Helios wake up your steads,
Bring the warmth the countryside needs.

posted on Mar, 16 2017 @ 07:42 AM
link   

I think we'll be either teleporting or wormhole-ing long before we travel at light speed, thus more or less negating the desire for lightspeed anyhow.

posted on Mar, 16 2017 @ 07:57 AM
link   

Reality always turns out to be much stranger than anything we could ever have imagined. I think FTL is possible. Nobody ever imagined the Universe is not only expanding but accelerating. I had a discussion with a physicist about dark energy one time. I said at some point more energy will go into the acceleration of Universe than exists in the Universe. Is this energy being created out of nothing. He replied saying the amount of energy that exists in the Universe is exactly the amount that is expressed. I could not argue with that line of reasoning.

My theory on how FTL travel will be possible is you must create a gravity well around the center of the ship. A gravity well will hopefully allow a proportionally less amount of energy to accelerate the ship. As you accelerate the ship you accelerate the strength of the gravity well. There will be a point in the curve where FTL is achieved. How you navigate in a gravity well dimension is hard to imagine. But maybe if you drag you toe along you can aim your final destination. This is all just speculation of course. You first have to accept the idea that gravity is a force that can be generated by a process and not just a simple property of matter.

The idea of an accelerating gravity well has some weird implications. Maybe as you increase your local gravity well it creates additional repulsion forces. It would be like a string between two weights spinning around each other. Angular momentum would cause the rotational velocity to increase as the tension on the string increases. Once gravity is not accelerating two gravity wells will start attracting to each other or just orbit each other. Maybe you could oscillate the gravity well accelerations and it would be like swimming against an opposing gravity well.

The problem is how to create a gravity well of accelerating force. If it is possible it would probably be some kind of toroidal magnetic field wrapped by a rotating sphere of liquid mercury. Creating an FTL drive probably requires molecular engineering with absolute tolerances and insanely complex part geometries. It will probably take 2 or 3 hundred years before we are capable of engineering what is needed.

edit on 16-3-2017 by dfnj2015 because: typos

posted on Mar, 16 2017 @ 08:16 AM
link   
Not exactly sure about when, but how....... ?

www.oreillyauto.com...

'search' .... 121 G you may find this unit helpful. It appears to be a backordered item..

posted on Mar, 16 2017 @ 08:24 AM
link   

originally posted by: Plotus
Not exactly sure about when, but how....... ?

www.oreillyauto.com...

'search' .... 121 G you may find this unit helpful. It appears to be a backordered item..

I could not get the search to work.

posted on Mar, 16 2017 @ 08:32 AM
link   
Never. It's impossible. It would take infinite energy to accelerate any particle(s) that has mass to the speed of light. Now can we manipulate the curvature of spacetime and go "faster" than light? I hope so..

posted on Mar, 16 2017 @ 09:17 AM
link   

If it will ever happen, I would suggest that the methodology will be rather like the theoretical method devised by Alcubierre.

His warp drive is very similar in terms of rough description, to that of the Star Trek universes many ships and spacecraft, in that it requires space to be expanded behind, contracted ahead of a craft, with an area of normal space in the middle. It would be in this bubble of normal space, that the craft would reside. For those in the craft, travel would feel normal, because the space immediately around the craft would not be stretched space. But it would effectively be moving very fast indeed. Its issue is that in order to produce the effect, a near infinite amount of energy is thought to be required.

Of course, these stumbling blocks have a tendency to evaporate with the passage of time and the acquisition of better knowledge, so that cannot be assumed to remain the case for long.

As to putting a time on it? Fifty, maybe a hundred and fifty years, depending on what war and chaos is caused between now and then. We could just as easily be wiped off the face of the world first, either by our own witlessness, or by a comet or other cosmic joke, which treats the solar system as its punchline.

top topics

<< 1  2  3    5 >>

join