It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Salmon Farming on the West Coast

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Mar, 15 2017 @ 11:26 PM
link   
So we have Atlantic Salmon being farmed on the West Coast of Canada on a commercial scale.
There's issues with keeping fish in such cramped living spaces, disease can develop and spread quickly.
So now we have every indicator that a Virus is being transferred from the farmed stock to the wild Pacific Salmon in the region, and it's decimating the wild salmon.
This is being covered up by the Government, collusion with the multinationals and their multimillion dollar industry.
Norwegian company over there, why aren't they in Norway doing this? Cause it was proven to be a disaster and many creeks and rivers had to be bleached clean of salmon and restocked.

I'd love to see the protestors out there doing some activism like cutting nets and making the farms unprofitable.

Link

New research shows that, despite industry and government denials, a deadly and durable virus has been causing disease in B.C. salmon farms.

A study supported by the Department of Fisheries and Ocean’s Strategic Salmon Health Initiative has confirmed that heart and skeletal muscle inflammation (HSMI), the third largest killer of farmed fish in Norway, occurs in B.C. and has caused disease at a fish farm in the Discovery Islands between 2011 and 2013 and possibly at three other farms between 2013 and 2014.

The study, with respected federal scientist Kristi Miller among the co-authors, also shed light on the links between piscine reovirus (PRV), common in farmed salmon in B.C., and HSMI.

“We showed that piscine reovirus (PRV) is statistically associated with the development of heart lesions, but also that some fish carry PRV without lesions, especially early in the disease, as has also been reported in Norway,” the study reports.

posted on Mar, 15 2017 @ 11:47 PM
link   
Interesting article. Thanks for posting.

There's a lot of folks out there that love to eat fish, but have no idea how it gets from the water to their plates.

David Suzuki has some very interesting papers he has written on this subject.

www.davidsuzuki.org...

edit on 15-3-2017 by crappiekat because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 16 2017 @ 12:01 AM
link   
a reply to: D8Tee

Hey man maybe check out the number of rivers that these fish spawn in; in Norway's entire Coast; and then check it again in Canada's entire west coast...
There is no argument from me that commercial fish farms are hot spots for chemical run off's, poison, and pollution. But many programs for rehabilitating fish into the network have been harvested from the farms...

posted on Mar, 16 2017 @ 12:07 AM
link   

I didn't need any further reason or evidence to 100% avoid farmed fish - but there are others who do. This industry should be boycotted out of existence. Farmed fish is quite possibly the worst idea in agriculture since RoundUp.

posted on Mar, 16 2017 @ 12:12 AM
link   

originally posted by: dogstar23

I didn't need any further reason or evidence to 100% avoid farmed fish - but there are others who do. This industry should be boycotted out of existence. Farmed fish is quite possibly the worst idea in agriculture since RoundUp.

Glyphosphate isn't even as bad as this, it actually breaks down in the soil fairly rapidly. Before we had Glyphosphate, there were other more worrisome herbicides in use.

posted on Mar, 16 2017 @ 12:15 AM
link   
Do they abuse the bears ??

Buck

posted on Mar, 16 2017 @ 12:54 AM
link   

originally posted by: BeneGesseritWitch

Hey man maybe check out the number of rivers that these fish spawn in; in Norway's entire Coast; and then check it again in Canada's entire west coast...
There is no argument from me that commercial fish farms are hot spots for chemical run off's, poison, and pollution. But many programs for rehabilitating fish into the network have been harvested from the farms...

I'm not sure what you are getting at?
This isn't so much the pollution, it's a virus that the farmed fish are transferring to the wild stocks.
What happens when you overcrowd fish into holding nets?
It's a breeding ground for disease.
If you would like to do some further research, you can watch this.

posted on Mar, 16 2017 @ 01:23 AM
link   

originally posted by: D8Tee
There's issues with keeping fish in such cramped living spaces, disease can develop and spread quickly.

Salmon farming in Scotland is proving to be an environmental disaster due to the quantities of chemicals used to treat things like parasites that flourish in the salmon cages. Plus the practice of salmon farmers shooting seals who fancy a nibble, demonstrates a lack of tolerance that I dislike.

The environmental problem is covered up by the Scottish government, but no chance in hell that I will eat Scottish salmon having seen the "dead zones" around the cages.

posted on Mar, 16 2017 @ 01:26 AM
link   
There are still places on the planet that listen to what nature is saying. Who cares if some canadian scientist is saying whoa viruses in the fish on the west coast?
It's pretty easy to give it importance if you forget the facts of Fukushima, if you forget that the pacific ocean it shares opens up to a landmass that has 90% of the humanoid population in a 10% area of the planet, or if you forget that most of our planet is water..

"the government allows theses fish farms to keep their disease info confidential"

posted on Mar, 16 2017 @ 01:53 AM
link   

originally posted by: BeneGesseritWitch
There are still places on the planet that listen to what nature is saying. Who cares if some canadian scientist is saying whoa viruses in the fish on the west coast?
It's pretty easy to give it importance if you forget the facts of Fukushima, if you forget that the pacific ocean it shares opens up to a landmass that has 90% of the humanoid population in a 10% area of the planet, or if you forget that most of our planet is water..

"the government allows theses fish farms to keep their disease info confidential"

Sorry but you make no more sense in this thread than you do in the F18 thread.
90 % of the population in a 10% area of land? Thats just foolish talk, go troll another thread.

posted on Mar, 16 2017 @ 01:59 AM
link   

originally posted by: paraphi

originally posted by: D8Tee

Salmon farming in Scotland is proving to be an environmental disaster due to the quantities of chemicals used to treat things like parasites that flourish in the salmon cages. Plus the practice of salmon farmers shooting seals who fancy a nibble, demonstrates a lack of tolerance that I dislike.

The environmental problem is covered up by the Scottish government, but no chance in hell that I will eat Scottish salmon having seen the "dead zones" around the cages.

It's a win win for these multinationals. If the fish get a disease and need to be culled, our taxdollars pay the company for their losses. Do you know if you have the ISA virus over there? If that is found, it will shut the industry down from exporting, it's what they are covering up here in Canada. This virus is decimating the wild Pacific salmon stocks.

posted on Mar, 16 2017 @ 02:58 AM
link   
Anybody reading this thread this guy is suffering, from what I cannot tell, but it seems to be related to the industry of fish farming. Do not eat Fish captured from the pacific coast. We will find ourselves in a more disastrous situation than China and it's eastern sea fiasco because this guy is saying that apparently, no seriously; Regardless if the pacific ocean feeds CHINA, JAPAN, VIETNAm, a bunch of other country's in a 10% landmass of the earth,
This guy wants you to believe that the fish are not as good on the American side, not because of Fukushima, or Nagasaki; but because of fish farms which are super bad....
I would counter with any of the environmental issues the pacific ocean faces on the east... but hey coca cola is # 1 and fish farms on the west coast are way worse.

posted on Mar, 16 2017 @ 03:53 AM
link   

posted on Mar, 17 2017 @ 05:57 PM
link   

originally posted by: dogstar23

This sounds like unethical fish farming. It doesn't have to be done this way. I guess I agree with you though that if that's the way all of the farms are doing it then they should be shut down. It's sad to see them making a mess of this. Aquaculture done properly can solve the overfishing problems that we face as a planet. It's also the most efficient means of livestock production there is.
My OTEC thread: www.abovetopsecret.com...

posted on May, 9 2017 @ 03:05 AM
link   
a reply to: TheBadCabbie

It's corporate greed, destroying the ecosystem.

Capitalism at it's finest.

There's an election tommorow in British Columbia, and the corrupt will likely stay in power.

posted on May, 9 2017 @ 03:18 AM
link   

I'd love to see the protestors out there doing some activism like cutting nets and making the farms unprofitable.

Sure, by all means protest and advertise but why go to this depth. Why destroy property of perhaps some innocent participants. Why release contaminated or even uncontaminated salmon by cutting nets. Why trigger confrontation on the waters perhaps leading to violence.

Why not peacefully protest without going to this extent. If you feel that strongly then get out there, lead, and do it yourself. Take responsibility personally without inciting others.

Kind regards,

Bally

posted on May, 9 2017 @ 03:26 AM
link   
a reply to: bally001

They are foreign owned companies, Norwegian corporations and Mitsubishi from Japan.

It's not like these are individual farmers, it's multinationals wrecking the ecosystem.

They're even subsidized by the Canadian guv.

edit on 9-5-2017 by D8Tee because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 9 2017 @ 03:43 AM
link   

Yeah D8Tee, I understand that. Just don't understand why the destruction of the farms should be encouraged.

Truth is, personally, I'm tired of the destruction of property and ascending violence for causes such as this. I would support constructive activism as I mentioned in my post. Regardless of the topic there are those who will protect their property and income, and saying that, those maliciously destroying that or even attempting to do so will lead to a confrontation. It's to be expected from both sides.

Don't attack in this case. Verbalize, gather resources through advertising and peacefully and amicably project the point of view. Don't destroy stuff for a belief.

kind regards as always,

bally

new topics

top topics

join