It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

WAR: Islamist group claims to hold U.S. soldier

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 1 2005 @ 12:36 PM
link   
The Al Mujahedin Brigade in Iraq has posted a message and photo of what they say is a captured US soldier. The kidnappers are demanding the release of prisoners to spare his life. The US military has denied any missing personnel in Iraq.

edition.cnn.com
A group calling itself the Al Mujahedin Brigade claimed Tuesday it captured a U.S. soldier in Iraq and threatened to behead him unless prisoners are released.

The claim was posted on an Islamist Web site in a statement identifying the kidnap victim by name, although the U.S. military has not confirmed that any soldier is missing or captured.

A photograph showed a man dressed in military fatigues sitting on the ground against a black flag with white Arabic lettering saying "God is great, there is no god but Allah."

Please visit the link provided for the complete story.

If the execution of this soldier is carried out, how will the US react? If I remember correctly, the only other soldier that was supposedly kidnapped was freed, but the circumstances of his "kidnapping" were very suspect with the military even changing his status from Missing, to AWOL.

It will be very interesting to see how this plays out.

[edit on 1-2-2005 by Banshee]

posted on Feb, 1 2005 @ 01:07 PM
link   
I'd expect that the US-Coalition will have to act as its been acting, except with special focus on this particular group for a little bit.

Its intersting that they have the man's name, seems if they were just bragging and b/sing that they'd not give a specific name.

posted on Feb, 1 2005 @ 01:40 PM
link   
Its a hoax don't even worry about it -- does this plastic toy look familiar?

Clever though

posted on Feb, 1 2005 @ 01:43 PM
link   
Just realized something else.

If US soldiers all have microchip/tracking implants, then the army should be able to easily enough go straight to where this guy is, break up the cell and rescue him. I don't think that they are inserting chips into soldiers tho, so this might point to them not having it.

Of course, one could argue that the military wants this guy to be captured, so that people back home become war crazed nazis, or something, but I'd think that that'd be easy enough to do in the first place, and it would be more in the favour of the US to 'come to the rescue, against all odds' and what not.

posted on Feb, 1 2005 @ 02:44 PM
link   
The US Army denies any of its personel are missing:

BAGHDAD, Iraq - The U.S. military said Tuesday that no American soldiers have been reported missing in Iraq after a Web statement claimed that an American soldier had been taken hostage.

The authenticity of the statement and photo could not be verified, and Staff Sgt. Nick Minecci of the U.S. military's press office in Baghdad said "no units have reported anyone missing."

The posting, on a Web site that frequently carries militants' statements, included a photo of what that statement said was an American soldier, wearing desert fatigues and seated on a concrete floor with his hands tied behind his back.

U.S. Military: No Soldier Missing in Iraq

posted on Feb, 1 2005 @ 02:44 PM
link   
The problem with tracking devices is, if you can find your soldiers, so can your enemy. There's no transmission that can't be encrypted if one desires to. I seriously doubt the rank and file would be chipped in such a manner.

There is also the question of power. If it's self-powered, it'll be weak to sustain battery life, and therefore be easily blocked. If it's passive, then it needs to receive a sufficiently strong signal to reflect.

Pretty much a useless option to emply on soldiers, no matter how it's carried out. Governments are more concerned about where the *hardware* is at, not the troops.

Originally posted by Nygdan
Just realized something else.

If US soldiers all have microchip/tracking implants, then the army should be able to easily enough go straight to where this guy is, break up the cell and rescue him. I don't think that they are inserting chips into soldiers tho, so this might point to them not having it.

Of course, one could argue that the military wants this guy to be captured, so that people back home become war crazed nazis, or something, but I'd think that that'd be easy enough to do in the first place, and it would be more in the favour of the US to 'come to the res

cue, against all odds' and what not.

posted on Feb, 1 2005 @ 02:57 PM
link   
The picture is of an action figure. No one is holding the gun

Apnews picture linky

FAKE!

[edit on 1-2-2005 by Jehosephat]

posted on Feb, 1 2005 @ 03:33 PM
link   
this is rich....now they are desperate....they just exposed their desperation.

posted on Feb, 1 2005 @ 03:40 PM
link   
Does anybody else other than me think that real terrorists wouldn't do something this stupid looking?? Why would they do this? This whole story and the accompanying pictures stink to high heaven. There's got to be something else going on here. Just a thought.

Peace

posted on Feb, 1 2005 @ 03:54 PM
link   

yes, somebody is definetly desperate!
and, i agree with Dr Love, that "the real terrorists",
would not do something THAT stupid!

and he sure didnt know how to spell the Mujahedeen Brigades.

BAGHDAD, Iraq (AP) -- A Web site posted a photograph of what it claimed was a kidnapped U.S. soldier, but doubts were quickly raised about its authenticity and the U.S. military said no soldiers were missing.

A toy manufacturer said the figure in the photo resembled one of its military action figures, originally produced for sale at U.S. bases in Kuwait.

The statement appeared on a Web site often used for posting statements from militants, some of which have proven authentic in the past, and was in the name of a group that has claimed previous kidnappings, the Mujahedeen Brigades.

The Arabic text, however, contained several mispellings and repetitions.

Staff Sgt. Nick Minecci of the U.S. military's press office in Baghdad said "no units have reported anyone missing."

The photo in the posting showed a figure dressed in desert camouflage fatigues, wearing a vest and knee pads and with a gun pointed to its head. All the items are similar to ones that come in a box with the action figure, named "Cody."

The figure in the photo appeared stiff and expressionless, and the statement said he was named "John Adam."

Liam Cusack, of the toy manufacturer Dragon Models USA, inc., said the image of the soldier portrayed in the photo bore a striking resemblance to the African-American version of its "Cody" action figure.

"It is our doll ... to me it definitely looks like it is," Cusack told The Associated Press. "Everything the guy is wearing is exactly what comes with our figure."

He said the figures were ordered by the U.S. military in Kuwait for sale in their bases, "so they would have been in region."

source: kron4.com

[edit on 1-2-2005 by Souljah]

posted on Feb, 1 2005 @ 04:13 PM
link   
Actually, real terrorists, IMHO, would do something that stupid.

We're talking about people who think nothing of swallowing bombs to take out someone with a different political or religious affiliation.

We're talking about people who think nothing of bombing an electrical, fresh water, medical facility, or other public service area.

We're talking about people who think nothing of slaying innocent people who came over there to HELP the very people the terrorists are purporting to help.

Do you sense a common theme here?

We're talking about people who think nothing.

posted on Feb, 1 2005 @ 04:19 PM
link   

Originally posted by thelibra

That is a very dangerous stance to take. You claim that they are stupid, but the acts that you listed I see that they have determination. They will do whatever it takes to advance their agenda (including suicide) and that makes them the most hazardous in my eyes.

posted on Feb, 1 2005 @ 04:32 PM
link   

Originally posted by Jonna
That is a very dangerous stance to take. You claim that they are stupid, but the acts that you listed I see that they have determination. They will do whatever it takes to advance their agenda (including suicide) and that makes them the most hazardous in my eyes.

Oh, hazardous, to be sure. But determination and danger do not an intellect make. An angry bull is both determined, and dangerous, but bulls are very stupid animals who lack the foresight and planning neccesary for anything but further violence.

posted on Feb, 1 2005 @ 07:03 PM
link   
It sure would be nice if there was a legal way to get those kinds of sites shut down.

Yesterdays claim they shot down the C-130 was a hoax and now we have this.

They sure seem to be getting desperate if you ask me.

posted on Feb, 1 2005 @ 07:12 PM
link   
Wow. I am stunned. A toy? How'd this get found out?

posted on Feb, 1 2005 @ 07:19 PM
link   
the c-130 story was a hoax????
they have a video of it on ogrish.com!!!

posted on Feb, 1 2005 @ 07:48 PM
link   

Originally posted by Nygdan
Wow. I am stunned. A toy? How'd this get found out?

This might help, Nygdan.
US Soldier reported cought, threaten to behead him in 72 hours..
Check time dates on when the Dragon Models soldier doll kit was posted.

seekerof

posted on Feb, 1 2005 @ 07:54 PM
link   
Perhaps it is important as educated observers of these incidents, to assume nothing about who perpetrates such a hoax.

Desperation of "terrorist groups" may truly have little to do with them.

posted on Feb, 1 2005 @ 11:42 PM
link   

Originally posted by thelibra
Actually, real terrorists, IMHO, would do something that stupid.

We're talking about people who think nothing of swallowing bombs to take out someone with a different political or religious affiliation.

We're talking about people who think nothing of bombing an electrical, fresh water, medical facility, or other public service area.

We're talking about people who think nothing of slaying innocent people who came over there to HELP the very people the terrorists are purporting to help.

Do you sense a common theme here?

ALL resistance, including suicide bombing, is legitimate when occupied by a foreign army. I completely support the beheading of US soldiers and US contractors there to steal Iraqi oil, but not aid workers.

[edit on 1-2-2005 by General Zapata]

posted on Feb, 2 2005 @ 02:55 AM
link   
i am positive that this is a work of a
"western" mind,
and not any "terrorists" or "insurgetns" or "rebels".

its a hoax, but
a western hoax,
to provoke, and to put more "bad news" in the news.

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join