It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Federal Judge in Hawaii Has blocked Travel Ban Hours before it is to Take Effect

page: 10
<< 7  8  9    11  12  13 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 15 2017 @ 08:51 PM
link   

originally posted by: reldra

originally posted by: D8Tee

originally posted by: fleabit

originally posted by: TruMcCarthy
This judge was appointed by Obama, this is a purely political decision. This man should be held accountable if anyone from these countries comes in and commit crimes.

What crimes? There has been a grand total of 0 crimes by Muslim immigrants who are not citizens since 9/11 (that most think the U.S. did anyway). All the most heinous crimes are committed by American citizens. Maybe he should concentrate on like.. actual crime in the U.S., and not worry so much about fake crime.

So this part of the EO is all lies?

Recent history shows that some of those who have entered the United States through our immigration system have proved to be threats to our national security. Since 2001, hundreds of persons born abroad have been convicted of terrorism-related crimes in the United States. They have included not just persons who came here legally on visas but also individuals who first entered the country as refugees. For example, in January 2013, two Iraqi nationals admitted to the United States as refugees in 2009 were sentenced to 40 years and to life in prison, respectively, for multiple terrorism-related offenses. And in October 2014, a native of Somalia who had been brought to the United States as a child refugee and later became a naturalized United States citizen was sentenced to 30 years in prison for attempting to use a weapon of mass destruction as part of a plot to detonate a bomb at a crowded Christmas-tree-lighting ceremony in Portland, Oregon. The Attorney General has reported to me that more than 300 persons who entered the United States as refugees are currently the subjects of counterterrorism investigations by the Federal Bureau of Investigation.

Oddly, there is no source. But nothing happened. The one mentioned was someone brought here as a child, a citizen. Who is this 'ME', noted, as in 'said to ME'?

You expect the EO to have all the sources?
There's no way they are going to put that into the EO if it's not valid.

You gave no source in your post for these '300 people'.

Here's your source, the Executive order itself.
www.whiteh... ouse.gov/the-press-office/2017/03/06/executive-order-protecting-nation-foreign-terrorist-entry-united-states

Link doesn't work. But, that is not a source. That is made up stuff to support an EO.

Oh? So your claim is they just made up stuff and put it into the EO?
I don't agree with that.
At all.
By the way, the 'reported to ME' indicates President Trump, you know, the guy who signed at the bottom of the page?
Not sure why this would be hard for you to understand, gives me an idea of your comprehension level.

The Attorney General has reported to me that more than 300 persons who entered the United States as refugees are currently the subjects of counterterrorism investigations by the Federal Bureau of Investigation.

www.whitehouse.gov...

posted on Mar, 15 2017 @ 08:52 PM
link   
a reply to: LesMisanthrope

I'm fairly certain it doesn't protect everyone. As a non-American myself, I could only wish for such protection.

It does protect everyone. It is a limit on what the US government can do and they cannot limit your access to our country based on your religion.

I'm not sure attributing motives to the judge is a good idea, given the inherent bias in such a claim.

It has nothing to do with the judge's inherent bias, unless adhering to constitutional principles is considered bias.

It's about making a ruling based on Trump's publicly-announced intent.

link   

originally posted by: F4guy

originally posted by: yuppa
This judge needs to be blocked when his re certification comes up from practicing law. this one was properly written and reviwed. it was totally compliant.

Ok how about this. All immigration is shut down for 5 yrs. only green card holders and tourist allowwed. Its time to play dirty.

US District Judges don't have any "certifications" come up. They are appointed by a President with the consent of the Senate. And your plan would block Albert Einstein, Robert J. Oppenheimer (who designed the bomb that won WWII), Leo Szilard (who wrote the letter to FDR that started the Manhatten Project), half the guys at Microsoft, Google and Apple.

We're Jews, the persecuted people's around that time, afforded the same luxury as the fleeing Germans?

link   

originally posted by: introvert

originally posted by: Vector99

a reply to: introvert

Again, proving my point the judgement was based upon personal feelings and emotions, not the actual law itself.

What is written is not unconstitutional, and Trump's words on a campaign trail do not make it unconstitutional.

What IS relevant, is the text of the document itself, not a judges personal feelings on them.

Intent is a cornerstone of judicial decisions and laws. Many decisions are based on the concept of intent in the action.

Exactly.

Trump stated his specific intent many times.

He stated a complete and total shutdown of muslims entering the country.

Exactly how does this EO achieve that when SEVERAL muslim nations are not included in it?

Intent would HAVE to include ALL muslim nations.

Logical fallacy. Read what the judge had to say on that sort of horrible argument.

The notion that one can demonstrate animus toward any group of people only by targeting all of them at once is fundamentally flawed. The Court declines to relegate its Establishment Clause analysis to a purely mathematical exercise.

Trump's own words are used for intent here. Trump said ALL. So yes to use his words as intent would HAVE to include ALL. The judge made a decision based upon personal feelings plain and simple.

posted on Mar, 15 2017 @ 08:53 PM
link   

It does protect everyone. It is a limit on what the US government can do and they cannot limit your access to our country based on your religion.

That's why it is a good thing it is not based on religion.

posted on Mar, 15 2017 @ 08:53 PM
link   

originally posted by: proteus33
a reply to: allsee4eye

MY QUESTION IS THIS WHY THE HECK IF SAUDI ARABIA IS SO RICH AND A BASTION OF THE RELIGION OF PEACE NOT TAKING IN THE FIRST ONE OF THESE REFUGEES ?

Real question is, if Trump was truly concerned about terrorism, why is SA not on the list?

I suspect politics plays a huge roll and Trump thinks he can get away with banning others from others in the Middle East.

Ask Obama, Trump used his list.

posted on Mar, 15 2017 @ 08:54 PM
link   

This judge was appointed by Obama, this is a purely political decision. This man should be held accountable if anyone from these countries comes in and commit crimes.

What crimes? There has been a grand total of 0 crimes by Muslim immigrants who are not citizens since 9/11 (that most think the U.S. did anyway). All the most heinous crimes are committed by American citizens. Maybe he should concentrate on like.. actual crime in the U.S., and not worry so much about fake crime.

Recent history shows that some of those who have entered the United States through our immigration system have proved to be threats to our national security. Since 2001, hundreds of persons born abroad have been convicted of terrorism-related crimes in the United States. They have included not just persons who came here legally on visas but also individuals who first entered the country as refugees. For example, in January 2013, two Iraqi nationals admitted to the United States as refugees in 2009 were sentenced to 40 years and to life in prison, respectively, for multiple terrorism-related offenses. And in October 2014, a native of Somalia who had been brought to the United States as a child refugee and later became a naturalized United States citizen was sentenced to 30 years in prison for attempting to use a weapon of mass destruction as part of a plot to detonate a bomb at a crowded Christmas-tree-lighting ceremony in Portland, Oregon. The Attorney General has reported to me that more than 300 persons who entered the United States as refugees are currently the subjects of counterterrorism investigations by the Federal Bureau of Investigation.

Oddly, there is no source. But nothing happened. The one mentioned was someone brought here as a child, a citizen. Who is this 'ME', noted, as in 'said to ME'?

www.whiteh... ouse.gov/the-press-office/2017/03/06/executive-order-protecting-nation-foreign-terrorist-entry-united-states

Link doesn't work. But, that is not a source. That is made up stuff to support an EO.

I don't agree with that.
At all.
By the way, the 'reported to ME' indicates President Trump, you know, the guy who signed at the bottom of the page?
Not sure why this would be hard for you to understand, gives me an idea of your comprehension level.

The Attorney General has reported to me that more than 300 persons who entered the United States as refugees are currently the subjects of counterterrorism investigations by the Federal Bureau of Investigation.

www.whitehouse.gov...

Trump makes things up out of thin air daily and Sessions does not have the best rep at the moment for the truth. LOL

posted on Mar, 15 2017 @ 08:56 PM
link   
a reply to: reldra

Trump makes things up out of thin air daily

So does CNN

Sessions does not have the best rep at the moment for the truth

Neither does CNN

You have no problem with them though right?

posted on Mar, 15 2017 @ 08:56 PM
link   

Yell it all you want. Let me ask you. If this was truly about keeping terrorists out of the country, why was Saudi Arabia not included?

Because Saudi Arabia is not on the current top list of terrorist generating countries, and they have vetting procedures that assists the USA with their own vetting. Per the judgement of Congress and Obama Administration.

Politics.

Nope. That would be the judge's reason for his flawed ruling.

He wants to ban Muslims,

...that pose a threat to America.

but not terrorists

Wrong.

and not from countries that would have huge political ramifications.

Like Iraq and Afghanistan? (Yes I know the second EO excluded Iraq. Because a judge ruled against it in the first EO.)

He is cherry-picking which countries they can come from.

Yes. And he has the legal right to do so.
edit on 15-3-2017 by Teikiatsu because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 15 2017 @ 08:57 PM
link   
Wouldn't be the first salad of words to almost be enacted into law..

posted on Mar, 15 2017 @ 09:00 PM
link   

a reply to: reldra

A federal judge reviews a motion in regard to an EO or law and then decides if it is constitutional and legal or not. They can say it is or they can block it.

Except that's not what happened. It seems the judge blocked it out of personal feelings and opinions of it, not actual legality of it.

You don't know that. For some reason some want to keep saying it. As if to produce buzzwords like activist judge or political decision. But you do not know this.

Well, here is something you might like to read.

Liz Barney was in the courtroom in Honolulu earlier today. She has this dispatch from the chamber:

In the packed Hawaii federal courtroom on Wednesday morning, Judge Derrick Watson had given no indication of how he would rule. Lawyer Colleen Sinzdak, representing the state of Hawaii, had argued the plaintiffs had “ample evidence” the order was religiously motivated.

She cited Trump’s campaign call to prevent Muslim immigration, which has not been removed from his campaign website.

Watson propped his chin on folded hands as he expressed uncertainty over whether the court should “close our eyes to historical context”, pointing out that Judge Leonie Brinkema had used similar information to inform her decision in Virginia in February.

His decision blocking the ruling ultimately cited that context – statements from Trump’s campaign – to find that the order was likely unconstitutional.

Jeffrey Wall, a lawyer for the office of the solicitor general, argued that Judge Brinkema “did look beyond the law, but we now have before us a very different law”.

He argued there was no substantiated proof the ban would cause any immediate harm to citizens of Hawaii, but rather the opposite. “These claims are not just wrong, but dangerous” he said, asserting the complaint set a dangerous precedent that could restrict the president’s authority to act on intelligence and protect citizens from potential threats.

www.theguardian.com...

So yeah, buzzwords.

Listen to the end of Tuckers show.

posted on Mar, 15 2017 @ 09:01 PM
link   

I don't agree with that.
At all.

www.whitehouse.gov...

Trump makes things up out of thin air daily and Sessions does not have the best rep at the moment for the truth. LOL

Link

DHS says 300 refugees are being investigated by FBI for terror ties

It is true, according to senior Homeland Security and Justice Department officials, that about 300 refugees are currently being investigated by the FBI for terror ties.

link   

Again, proving my point the judgement was based upon personal feelings and emotions, not the actual law itself.

What is written is not unconstitutional, and Trump's words on a campaign trail do not make it unconstitutional.

What IS relevant, is the text of the document itself, not a judges personal feelings on them.

Intent is a cornerstone of judicial decisions and laws. Many decisions are based on the concept of intent in the action.

Exactly.

Trump stated his specific intent many times.

He stated a complete and total shutdown of muslims entering the country.

Exactly how does this EO achieve that when SEVERAL muslim nations are not included in it?

Intent would HAVE to include ALL muslim nations.

Logical fallacy. Read what the judge had to say on that sort of horrible argument.

The notion that one can demonstrate animus toward any group of people only by targeting all of them at once is fundamentally flawed. The Court declines to relegate its Establishment Clause analysis to a purely mathematical exercise.

Trump's own words are used for intent here. Trump said ALL. So yes to use his words as intent would HAVE to include ALL. The judge made a decision based upon personal feelings plain and simple.

Let me quote the judge again:

Doesn't matter if he said all. He explicitly stated his intent and his intent is to focus on Muslims. The 1st amendment applies to government actions, whether the intent is to target all, or just those from certain regions, or the individual.
edit on 15-3-2017 by introvert because: (no reason given)

link   

originally posted by: proteus33
a reply to: allsee4eye

MY QUESTION IS THIS WHY THE HECK IF SAUDI ARABIA IS SO RICH AND A BASTION OF THE RELIGION OF PEACE NOT TAKING IN THE FIRST ONE OF THESE REFUGEES ?

Real question is, if Trump was truly concerned about terrorism, why is SA not on the list?

I suspect politics plays a huge roll and Trump thinks he can get away with banning others from others in the Middle East.

Ask Obama, Trump used his list.

But Obama didn't do the same things with the list.

The Obama-signed law (2015) contains provisions that restrict travel to the United States for people who lived in or visited Iran, Iraq, Sudan, or Syria since March 2011. They must have a visa to enter the United States;

The list did not name the countries as the most dangerous, but made travel from them to here more difficult.

This is wholly different from Trump's failed plans.

since 9/11, no one in the United States has been killed in a terrorist attack by someone from the seven countries, though there have been at least three non-deadly cases in which the perpetrator was connected to Iran or Somalia.

politifact

posted on Mar, 15 2017 @ 09:02 PM
link   

originally posted by: LesMisanthrope

That's why it is a good thing it is not based on religion.

Then why did he say that was his intent?

Again, he made it very clear.

posted on Mar, 15 2017 @ 09:05 PM
link   

I don't agree with that.
At all.

www.whitehouse.gov...

Link

It is true, according to senior Homeland Security and Justice Department officials, that about 300 refugees are currently being investigated by the FBI for terror ties.

Are being investigated? Ok. That is a small number of people. I hope they get to the end of these investigations at some point. If they were a great danger, they would be in custody, not just under investigation, I would hope.

Snoop Dogg is 'under investigation' too. For a video with a gun that shoots out a flag that says 'bang' is aimed at a Trump look alike in clown makeup. First video I used an app to download a Youtube Vid. It's pretty good.

posted on Mar, 15 2017 @ 09:06 PM
link   

originally posted by: xuenchen
This "decision" is 100% political.

And everybody knows it.

You guys have a problem understanding something as simple as the 1st amendment.

So I don't think we should be concerned about your appeal to the majority, a logical fallacy.

First amendment applies to who, again?

Please tell me it applies to non US citizens or green card holders in another country because that's what the judge was saying.

posted on Mar, 15 2017 @ 09:08 PM
link   

And again, Trump said ALL. So if his words are to be used as intent, then his words must be used as intent. Trump's intent was to ban ALL muslims, not SOME.

The judge...sigh for the umpteenth time, made a decision based upon personal feelings. His exclusive judgement of using trump's words as intent was based upon his own interpretation of his words instead of his actual words.

I'll bet this doesn't get upheld in appeals court, then again who knows with that circus.

posted on Mar, 15 2017 @ 09:09 PM
link   

I don't agree with that.
At all.

www.whitehouse.gov...

Link

Are being investigated? Ok. That is a small number of people. I hope they get to the end of these investigations at some point. If they were a great danger, they would be in custody, not just under investigation, I would hope.

Snoop Dogg is 'under investigation' too. For a video with a gun that shoots out a flag that says 'bang' is aimed at a Trump look alike in clown makeup. First video I used an app to download a Youtube Vid. It's pretty good.

So now that I've done your research for you, you will not claim it's just 'made up out of thin air by Trump and Sessions"?

You could do your own research before making those kinda claims.

posted on Mar, 15 2017 @ 09:09 PM
link   
a reply to: Teikiatsu

...that pose a threat to America.

So you admit it.

It's about the Muslims.

new topics

top topics

<< 7  8  9    11  12  13 >>

join