It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

How can we stop a Tsunami ?

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 16 2017 @ 03:21 AM
link   
Attack it before landfall.. when its energy is lower.
Like with everything else I hate.. nuke the entire site from orbit... Its the only way to be sure.

By the way, Im only half joking. If the energy could be dispelled or widened so it doesnt gain momentum.. it wouldnt be as deadly and destructive.
edit on 16-3-2017 by Advantage because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 16 2017 @ 03:54 AM
link   

originally posted by: Advantage
Like with everything else I hate.. nuke the entire site from orbit... Its the only way to be sure.

By the way, Im only half joking. If the energy could be dispelled or widened so it doesnt gain momentum.. it wouldnt be as deadly and destructive.

The energy of a tsunami would be very very large.

posted on Mar, 16 2017 @ 04:19 AM
link   
a reply to: OlegK

Not sure if anything is going to stop this .
linky thing about a really big tsunami

posted on Mar, 16 2017 @ 04:58 AM
link   
a reply to: hutch622

Well with the right tools and minds I believe we can , at least in the coasts of populated areas something larger will be too expensive to do.

posted on Mar, 16 2017 @ 05:51 AM
link   

originally posted by: Bedlam

originally posted by: LABTECH767
it was a mealstrom...

Although I realize this was an innocent typo, it is the very image of what happens around my next younger brother's mouth at an all you can eat buffet.

I shall steal this from you, and await my next opportunity to toss it at him.

Unfortunately I eat like that as well, ha.

Yes it was a typo of sort's, although the definition of the word is whirlpool most of us in the world actually use it when rarely we use it to describe a calamitous event but I would have been far better served using the Shakespearean term Tempest (though that does make me think of three of my sisters).

posted on Mar, 16 2017 @ 06:44 AM
link   
a reply to: intrptr

The high wave is only manifested on shores, and it's hight is dependent on the force of the impact of what started it.
And in the videos you showed me that Tsunami hits harbours and bays.
edit on 16-3-2017 by OlegK because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 16 2017 @ 06:58 AM
link   
Walls and trenches will not stop a Tsunami. Quite simply, a large tsunami has a wavelength several hundred km's long (can be much larger). As we saw with Japan, tsunami walls simply cause the water to rise up against them and then overtop them.

However, there is hope....

Tsunami Prevention

in the form of sound waves.

posted on Mar, 16 2017 @ 07:06 AM
link   
a reply to: OlegK

That would involve a joke, and I don't want to ruin your thread.

ok that sounded callus, it wasn't meant to be so im adding this. I think its terrible. Terrible because they can use weather machines to create chaos, but they can't or don't seem to do anything to prevent it. They can make it snow using silver but what about all the disasters world wide, billions and no one can fix it? I don't believe it! I think we're being supressed.

Ok that's all. carry on.
edit on 16-3-2017 by Neith because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 16 2017 @ 07:18 AM
link   
Getting rid of all the water on Earth would stop Tsunamis from happening.

posted on Mar, 16 2017 @ 07:30 AM
link   
a reply to: Flavian
Hi.
Tsunami is a laminar flow.
The wall turns it into a turbulent one and then the tsunami loses its power.
It is necessary like I said to add a 30 degree tilt to send a stream to the wall directly.
What you said will happen if the wall will only be 90 degrees without the tilt(like it is in tsunami walls).

posted on Mar, 16 2017 @ 07:41 AM
link   
a reply to: Junkheap

lol

posted on Mar, 16 2017 @ 10:42 AM
link   

originally posted by: OlegK

Tsunami Out Flow example video -

Sand dredge at work -

Rock dredge at work -

30 thousand dead from the recent tsunami in Japan .

your videos weren't embedding, you didnt input the code properly,

humans cant stop tsunamis without some ill advised large scale terraforming, it wouldnt be good for the environment, better would be we stop living in the danger areas, move residential districts to safer locations, as great a task as thatd be itd be even less difficult then trying to stop tsunamis all together,
edit on 16-3-2017 by NobodiesNormal because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 16 2017 @ 11:19 AM
link   
a reply to: NobodiesNormal

Thank you !
I can't edit it now but I will keep it in my mind for my next threads .

posted on Mar, 16 2017 @ 12:25 PM
link   

The high wave is only manifested on shores, and it's height is dependent on the force of the impact of what started it.
And in the videos you showed me that Tsunami hits harbors and bays.

They stood on the beach in countless videos from Indonesian islands staring at the outgoing and inrushing water, too.

More to your point, there are two maybe three types of tsunamis, those generated by undersea earthquakes and the other type generated by Undersea landslides, or the most extreme, asteroid impacts.

In the first type the tsunamis are more a flood type of event, inundation by flood rather than rolling breakers. In the undersea landslide or impactor event the waves are giant rollers, crashing ashore.

In the case of an asteroid impact the waves are a whole other class, they could be as high as a quarter mile, 600 feet deep in the bed rock, crashing thru mountains, destroying whole continents for hundreds, thousands of miles from the impact zone. And not just one but 6, ten, twelve in succession, all similar in height and destructive power.

Thats what they mean by 'slate wiper'.

Do an experiment, find a puddle and toss a rock in. See the initial back to back waves spread from the impact point...

...those kind of waves.

posted on Mar, 16 2017 @ 12:47 PM
link   

originally posted by: D8Tee

originally posted by: Advantage

The energy of a tsunami would be very very large.

The oceans are large. Hypothetically.. the focal energy can be spread out.. then its not focal.. and will be a milder surge.

Tsunamis are perfect storms of speed and intensity.. amplitude, potential and kinetic energy. As of tight now no we cant prevent them.. but we can do a hell of a lot more in preparedness and mitigation. I mean Japan didnt have an improved early warning system until 2013. Erosion and absence of mangroves and heavy vegetation cause the damage to reach far inland.. building reactors on coasts is a stupid move in anyones book, harbor authorities not having the authority to evacuate when they see the "suck" preceding a tsunami is idiotic, large populations in lowlands on a coast isnt the brightest in life loss prevention, not killing off reefs and other natural barriers, building up damaged natural barriers, blah blah. It goes on and on. There SHOULD have been a multipronged early warning system with the Indonesian tsunami..

posted on Mar, 16 2017 @ 04:09 PM
link   

Let's just hope that those thing wont happen during our very short lives here on this planet

posted on Mar, 16 2017 @ 05:56 PM
link   

Let's just hope that those thing wont happen during our very short lives here on this planet

Good read on it . Author sourced physicists to lend authenticity.

Lucifer's Hammer

posted on Mar, 17 2017 @ 03:09 AM
link   

Really nice thanks !

posted on Mar, 17 2017 @ 04:30 AM
link   
My idea to mitigate a tsunami is that our military develop directed nuclear weapons that can be deployed underwater to create overlapping counter waves to the tsunami. I mentioned this in another thread a long time ago. I didn't necessarily like the idea because if countries succeed in developing this as a counter measure to mitigate tsunamis, it could also be used as an offensive weapon to destroy coastal cities and navies without all the radioactive fallout because the weapons were used underwater. Cumulative blasts could be used to enhance waves if the nuclear force can be directed in one direction. That's my idea of how to mitigate a disaster.

posted on Mar, 17 2017 @ 04:47 AM
link   

originally posted by: orionthehunter
it could also be used as an offensive weapon to destroy coastal cities and navies without all the radioactive fallout because the weapons were used underwater.

Water bursts are actually some of the very worst in terms of secondary contamination. You get the MOST 'fallout' from surface oceanic or submerged nuclear detonations.

In fact, it's one of the classic tactical "amplifiers" of small, bulky or inefficient nuclear weapons. If you were NK, for example, the biggest bang for your fizzle-yielded nuclear buck would be to load one in some sort of nondescript small oceanic vessel, and sail up the Potomac to Alexandria, then set that puppy off.

A wall of green, glowing water would sweep up and down the Potomac, and either directly by submersion or indirectly by spray, irrevocably contaminate everything from Ft Belvoir to the White House, including the Pentagon, Foggy Bottom, Bolling/DIA, Quantico, Agency HQ, the list goes on and on. It's the money shot for a 5kT nuke.

top topics

<< 1    3 >>

join