It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

A Simple Two Part Question about Black Americans.

page: 3
<< 1  2   >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 15 2017 @ 08:10 PM
link   
a reply to: Antipathy17

I don't think it's that blacks detest whites - I think it's that blacks, whites, asians, hispanics, and everybody else distrusts everybody else, but then, I don't think that's wrong given the circumstances (how messed up we all are). I mean, if you can't identify with someone else, you're naturally going to be suspicious, so that's perfectly fine.

e,g. If two oddly dressed people come walking up to you, you're going to be suspicious, everyone is. But now extend their oddity, your inability to identify with them, to a group of people, find fault in that group, and there you go: racial bias, cultural bias, class bias, etc.

So that's fine, right? We're all racist, and hold every other prejudice because differences and faults do exist. And there's nothing wrong with that unless the fault you would act against is not actually there - that's when it's wrong. But being suspicious, or distrusting? That's fine as long as when you act on it you don't act unjustly by not giving others a chance.

So yeah, I don't see anything wrong with not being trusted if you're given a chance to be trusted. I mean, you said it yourself, that you were friends with black people, so obviously they don't detest all white people, not if they gave you a chance, right?

posted on Mar, 15 2017 @ 08:26 PM
link   

originally posted by: Bleeeeep

I don't think it's that blacks detest whites - I think it's that blacks, whites, asians, hispanics, and everybody else distrusts everybody else, but then, I don't think that's wrong given the circumstances (how messed up we all are). I mean, if you can't identify with someone else, you're naturally going to be suspicious, so that's perfectly fine.

e,g. If two oddly dressed people come walking up to you, you're going to be suspicious, everyone is. But now extend their oddity, your inability to identify with them, to a group of people, find fault in that group, and there you go: racial bias, cultural bias, class bias, etc.

So that's fine, right? We're all racist, and hold every other prejudice because differences and faults do exist. And there's nothing wrong with that unless the fault you would act against is not actually there - that's when it's wrong. But being suspicious, or distrusting? That's fine as long as when you act on it you don't act unjustly by not giving others a chance.

So yeah, I don't see anything wrong with not being trusted if you're given a chance to be trusted. I mean, you said it yourself, that you were friends with black people, so obviously they don't detest all white people, not if they gave you a chance, right?

I like your response.

posted on Mar, 15 2017 @ 09:30 PM
link   
I would say that if there is a case to be made for what you are saying, I would say it starts like this - we tend to resent people who have more then we do. It comes from coveting. Look at how many people resent the rich. Do they really resent them or are they really coveting what the rich have that they don't?

At any rate, it's a short step from resenting to hating.

Thing is that those how live in the middle of the inner city only see suburbanites who seem to be what they perceive as "rich" and suburbanites are mostly of a certain ethnicity. They don't see all the tiny little poor towns where you can make a good case that the people who live there are every bit as bad off as urbanites (maybe minus the gang violence which would exist if they were packed together).

It isn't as if they are the only ones who suffer and all the suffering accrues to one or two races and only those races.

posted on Mar, 15 2017 @ 09:33 PM
link   
You probably can't generalize a trait to all blacks, even all poor blacks... I guess the closest you can get is asking black people what their perspective is. Asking a white person with little experience of dealing with blacks probably means you won't get the right answer...

Still an interesting subject.
edit on 15pmWed, 15 Mar 2017 21:34:35 -0500kbpmkAmerica/Chicago by darkbake because: (no reason given)

edit on 15pmWed, 15 Mar 2017 21:35:03 -0500kbpmkAmerica/Chicago by darkbake because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 15 2017 @ 09:42 PM
link   

The story of the good Samaritan doesn't teach us that being prejudiced is wrong, it teaches us to do what is right regardless of what our prejudices are.

i.e. A culture may be, without question, just complete and utter garbage, but that doesn't mean that we should count someone out, or treat someone unjustly, simply because they're from said culture. People can go against the grain, people can change, people can surprise you, etc.

But with that said, and what I really want to point out is that: political correctness is out of hand. They want to highlight that one good Samaritan and say, "see, being prejudice is evil" because they don't want us questioning the wide-spreading immorality that is becoming culturally normal (because we're not allowed to talk about it and voice our dissent).

Being prejudice is not wrong unless it's an unjust prejudice.

Okay, that's all I wanted to say.

posted on Mar, 15 2017 @ 09:46 PM
link   
a reply to: EternalShadow

Really great point.

posted on Mar, 15 2017 @ 09:58 PM
link   
a reply to: Bleeeeep

That's right, if we're talking about a culture that sets kittens on fire and flays tiny puppies alive to wear their bloody skins and one of them shows kindness and heals a wounded bear cub at some point. It does not suddenly absolve everyone in that culture of the very real wrongs of cruelty to animals that they display every day when they set kittens on fire and flay alive tiny puppies.

posted on Mar, 15 2017 @ 10:51 PM
link   

Racism seems to me to be more of a poor or under educated person's niche. millions of people live in those conditions and dare I say the majority of black American's do. Wouldn't that make black American's more susceptible to being racist?

I dare say say the majority of black Americans are not, even if those who are middle class tend have less wealth accumulation than their white counterparts, Blacks that are racist stems from a reaction of whites who are racist, either overt or subvert, there is a tendency to mistrust white folks which can lead to racism.
edit on 15-3-2017 by Spider879 because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 16 2017 @ 06:24 AM
link   
a reply to: Antipathy17According to media,I've lived in So Calif all my life growing up in the 50's ,you really had to go black areas to see a black person,as I got in to teens in 60's 70's I started playing baseball where we would travel,and I think at that time neither knew much about each other because we were brought up only hearing story's,when in fact each of us was the same,just looked different,and the only ones who who say racial things.after of course,were the sub par players,I really think in my opinion that it's ones ignorance to be racist,and an inferiority complex,my friends are all different colors and origins,I call them all my "friends"

posted on Mar, 16 2017 @ 08:35 AM
link   

originally posted by: Oldtimer2
a reply to: Antipathy17According to media,I've lived in So Calif all my life growing up in the 50's ,you really had to go black areas to see a black person,as I got in to teens in 60's 70's I started playing baseball where we would travel,and I think at that time neither knew much about each other because we were brought up only hearing story's,when in fact each of us was the same,just looked different,and the only ones who who say racial things.after of course,were the sub par players,I really think in my opinion that it's ones ignorance to be racist,and an inferiority complex,my friends are all different colors and origins,I call them all my "friends"

Ah, but athletics has a great way of being an equalizer. I had that experience myself through track and field.

When you are a competitor, you care about winning and it doesn't matter who your teammates are so long as they're as committed to giving their all as you are.

Any racial trash talk I ever experienced in my own athletic career was always between teams and never on the team. You don't knock your own teammates whom you depend on and end up knowing quite well as a result.

posted on Mar, 16 2017 @ 09:49 AM
link   

Do black American's detest white American's and how do we scale it?

Yes, and does it matter? One to ten, ten being they hate us a lot, I'd put their vitriol at 12.

What is stunning is their insistence that whites cannot be prejudiced or victims of discrimination. That is the worst kind of self-serving hypocrisy.

posted on May, 20 2017 @ 03:34 AM
link   

originally posted by: Bleeeeep

The story of the good Samaritan doesn't teach us that being prejudiced is wrong, it teaches us to do what is right regardless of what our prejudices are.

i.e. A culture may be, without question, just complete and utter garbage, but that doesn't mean that we should count someone out, or treat someone unjustly, simply because they're from said culture. People can go against the grain, people can change, people can surprise you, etc.

But with that said, and what I really want to point out is that: political correctness is out of hand. They want to highlight that one good Samaritan and say, "see, being prejudice is evil" because they don't want us questioning the wide-spreading immorality that is becoming culturally normal (because we're not allowed to talk about it and voice our dissent).

Being prejudice is not wrong unless it's an unjust prejudice.

Okay, that's all I wanted to say.

That's what I am thinking.

top topics

<< 1  2   >>

join