It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Small drone 'shot with Patriot missile'

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Mar, 15 2017 @ 01:52 PM
link   
www.bbc.com...

A Patriot missile - usually priced at about $3m (£2.5m) - was used to shoot down a small quadcopter drone, according to a US general. The strike was made by a US ally, Gen David Perkins told a military symposium. "That quadcopter that cost 200 bucks from Amazon.com did not stand a chance against a Patriot," he said. Patriots are radar-targeted weapons more commonly used to shoot down enemy aircraft and ballistic missiles. "Now, that worked, they got it, OK, and we love Patriot missiles," the general said. Recently, there have been reports that some groups, for example in Iraq, have taken to attaching weapons to small, commercial drones and using them against security forces. However, Gen Perkins suggested deploying large surface-to-air missiles as a defence was probably not economically wise. "I'm not sure that's a good economic exchange ratio," he told an audience at the Association of the United States Army's Global Force symposium in Alabama. "In fact, if I'm the enemy, I'm thinking, 'Hey, I'm just gonna get on eBay and buy as many of these $300 quadcopters as I can and expend all the Patriot missiles out there'."

A waste on one hand, but a test to see if they can target something so small too I guess. Smaller drones are definitely going to change the battlefield in general.
edit on 15-3-2017 by iTruthSeeker because: (no reason given)

More at link.
edit on 15-3-2017 by iTruthSeeker because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 15 2017 @ 01:53 PM
link   

originally posted by: iTruthSeeker
NOTICE: AboveTopSecret.com management is now enforcing new standards for the opening posts of threads.

Opening posts that contain minimal content, links with little or no explanation, YouTube videos with no commentary, images with little or no commentary, and similar nominal content may be removed without warning or explanation. If your topic is important to you, make sure you explain why, with links and supporting material so that our members may offer more relevant contributions, and ultimately, better threads. In fact, if you have less to say than this simple notice, then you probably do not have enough to start a new thread. Thank you for your assistance in helping to create great threads on ATS.

When you click this form-field, this message will disappear.

Noob alert lol JK

posted on Mar, 15 2017 @ 01:55 PM
link   

originally posted by: PraetorianAZ

NOTICE: AboveTopSecret.com management is now enforcing new standards for the opening posts of threads.

Opening posts that contain minimal content, links with little or no explanation, YouTube videos with no commentary, images with little or no commentary, and similar nominal content may be removed without warning or explanation. If your topic is important to you, make sure you explain why, with links and supporting material so that our members may offer more relevant contributions, and ultimately, better threads. In fact, if you have less to say than this simple notice, then you probably do not have enough to start a new thread. Thank you for your assistance in helping to create great threads on ATS.

When you click this form-field, this message will disappear.

Noob alert lol JK

Haha I don't know what happend there.

posted on Mar, 15 2017 @ 02:05 PM
link   
a reply to: iTruthSeeker

Talk about overkill to the max. Thats like dropping a bunker buster on an ant hill. Like the General said at least they know they work and can hit something so small.

Drones are the future of warfare. Soon wars wont be won by who runs out of bodies first but instead who runs out of money first.

S+F

posted on Mar, 15 2017 @ 02:14 PM
link   
That's like using a bazooka to kill cockroaches.

Way too much overkill.

posted on Mar, 15 2017 @ 03:04 PM
link   
So, when will we have anti-small drone drones or do we already?

Begun, the drone wars have.

posted on Mar, 15 2017 @ 11:45 PM
link   
the Israel's iron dome system would be much better at taking out small drones.

Israel's iron dome system was built to take down small rockets and UAVs.
en.wikipedia.org...-UAV

And since iron dome is a joint US and Israeli project the US has it to deploy if needed.
www.defensenews.com...

I know the US navy has looked at Israel's David Sling Weapon System for small ship protection

posted on Mar, 15 2017 @ 11:54 PM
link   
Good to see if it can zone in the small targets for sure.

But.. boys and their toys. My husband would use a hellfire missile to cut the grass if he had one handy.

posted on Mar, 15 2017 @ 11:58 PM
link   
a reply to: Advantage

And exactly what is wrong with that? There's some pretty dangerous grass out there.

posted on Mar, 15 2017 @ 11:59 PM
link   

originally posted by: Zaphod58
a reply to: Advantage

And exactly what is wrong with that? There's some pretty dangerous grass out there.

LOL! Reading your replies in threads I already knew you were one of "THEM".. LOL!!

posted on Mar, 16 2017 @ 12:01 AM
link   
I can see them standing around high fiving each other whooping it up when they hit it

posted on Mar, 16 2017 @ 03:13 AM
link   

originally posted by: Advantage
Good to see if it can zone in the small targets for sure.

But.. boys and their toys. My husband would use a hellfire missile to cut the grass if he had one handy.

Urm, when I was a yoot I actually sat down with a calculator, some optics catalogs, and my tongue poking out of the corner of my mouth to see if it was impossible or just impractical to cut the yard with a CO2 laser.

As time went by, irony befell me as I learned the hard way not to stick my tongue in the corner of my mouth when concentrating, and before my military stint as a teen, I got to work on an ill-conceived test to see if you could manage water hyacinths with a big CO2 laser on a barge.

Answer: no.

Longer answer: you can shoot down birds, and you can do a fine job on glass windows in cars at quite a distance.

Side observation: a lot of people can jump off a barge into the water in the very twinkling of an eye if the laser hits little ripples on the water just right. It reminds me of a VMADS.

posted on Mar, 16 2017 @ 03:15 AM
link   

A waste on one hand, but a test to see if they can target something so small too I guess.

I'm amazed the directing radar didn't cull the drone out as too small/too slow.

Someone's been fooling around with the software parameters.

posted on Mar, 16 2017 @ 06:05 AM
link   

and Ill just leave this here..

posted on Aug, 29 2017 @ 01:48 AM
link   
There will soon be commercial drones which look exactly the same as drones produced by the west, and work exactly the same, but will have different non-jammable electronics, and they will be flying around Euopean cities.

posted on Aug, 29 2017 @ 04:38 AM
link   
a reply to: Flanker86

Jesus you like to make crap up don't you.

posted on Aug, 29 2017 @ 05:15 AM
link   
Give me a few hours on the computer and a few more on the 3D printer and i can make a drone.I can take down nukes with it cant I?

posted on Aug, 29 2017 @ 06:12 AM
link   
Weapon nerds. They're just the best. Gotta love em!

posted on Aug, 29 2017 @ 11:25 AM
link   
This looks like a job for ...............CIWS !

top topics

join