It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

A Sad Tale of Social Disconnection.

page: 1

join
share:
+8 more 
posted on Mar, 15 2017 @ 01:49 PM
link   
The other night I was out dining alone, and happen to notice a mother and her daughter together at a table very close to mine. Her daughter seemed to be beaming at the fact she was eating out with her mother alone, then came the proverbial text on mom's phone.

For the rest of the entire meal, the mother had her eyes glued to her phone 95% of the meal. Her daughter was about 9 maybe 10, and looking to engage her mother in a meaningful conversation, and with all of her sweet quietness she was trying to tell her mother "Hey, I'm here and I love you, and I want to connect with you." There were multiple times her daughter politely tried to get her mother's attention, only to be brushed off.

My heart was actually hurting for this kid, and I wanted to tell this woman "Do you know how fast time goes by, and you are missing the most precious moments right in front of you", but it wasn't my place.

I've been seeing this more and more lately, this particular situation has stuck in my mind, and I thought I'd share it with everyone.

This situation isn't synonymous to women and daughters, but people in general. I believe the answer is simple, but awareness sometimes isn't so easy to achieve.

edit on 15-3-2017 by Realtruth because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 15 2017 @ 01:57 PM
link   
a reply to: Realtruth

A while back my son came by for a visit with his girlfriend. I invited them to watch a movie. At some point in the movie I looked over at them and both of them were fixated on their phones. Chatting with pals I suppose. I asked them what was so important they couldn't wait to respond. Both of them admitted that the conversations were trivial. I asked if they were afraid to say they could get back with the people they were chatting with later. They both said that might be rude. I then asked how they weren't being rude to me.

posted on Mar, 15 2017 @ 02:04 PM
link   

Its a shocking sign of the times.... Personally I wont go for a meal with

anyone unless the phone is out of sight.... and if it comes out I threaten

to leave the restaurant.

posted on Mar, 15 2017 @ 02:05 PM
link   

I've seen this so many times, and it's heartbreaking.

There is still goodness in the world though, got to see a group of dads with the daughters all dressed up for a father and daughter dance. The dads actually spoke with their daughters and it was so nice to see

posted on Mar, 15 2017 @ 02:41 PM
link   

Why don’t you "take control" of the situation?

The stealthy, passive approach...

A cellphone jammer is a little box that instantly cuts off any cellphone activity in its general vicinity -- here's one in action. Chances are we've all wished we had something like this at some point (and by "at some point" we mean "at the movies"), but you know what's even worse (and more dangerous) than an obnoxious asshole talking loudly on a cellphone? An obnoxious asshole deciding when everyone else gets to talk.

The Hidden Cellphone Jammer (Cigarette Pack) seems designed for the latter group. Its inconspicuous cigarette pack camouflage allows the stealth dick to take it out or leave it behind without raising suspicion. At only $49, it kills all cellphones within a 32-foot radius, which should be enough to clear a restaurant. Or you could buy the fancier $950 version, walk into Wall Street and crash the stock market. Our point being, this is a thing that can cause real damage.

Got a light?

edit on 15-3-2017 by eisegesis because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 15 2017 @ 04:25 PM
link   
a reply to: eisegesis
You have answered the question that Verizon wouldn't even answer.

I have been without cell phone service in the area where I live for over 17 years. I have asked repeatedly why it is that people in the jungles and deserts can get cell phone service, yet I live in the USA, in a small rural area, 5 miles from a tower and I can't get cell phone service.

Now I know. Someone has planted a jammer in our area. I wonder....terrestrial or .....?

posted on Mar, 15 2017 @ 05:40 PM
link   

Thanks for bringing this up.

There's a neighborhood restaurant we go to weekly.
And, we often see this middle-aged couple sitting at a table in the corner.
They don't talk to each other for the most part.
Both have their mobile devices in front of them, busily texting.

Just soooooo weird to us.

posted on Mar, 15 2017 @ 06:23 PM
link   
a reply to: Fools

My teenager has a great circle of friends who have made a deal to put their cell phones in a pile off the side side when they get together. Occasionally one of them will want to share a goofy video or something and will ask permission of the group before grabbing the phone.
Now, mind you, my child is happy to be a geek and so are this circle of friends - in fact many of them (mine included) have opted out of Facebook/Snapchat/social media as sort of their way of being radical nonconformists (!).
Can't tell you how proud I am of my uncool kid.

posted on Mar, 16 2017 @ 06:44 AM
link   
Thank you for sharing your experience. Sadly I see this all too often. Or someone walking around with an iPad stuck in front on their face.

I think the best thing we can do is be the change!. But down your cell phone or tablet when you are with someone. Engage the person in front of you, not the one dinging in your pocket. Make eye contact, ask how someone is doing – and then listen to them answer. If we make these changes and demand the people that interact with us make these changes then maybe slowly you will see the change evolve.

a reply to: NightSkyeB4Dawn
You aren’t in WV are you? We have a quiet zone that doesn’t allow wifi and cell signal.

Last radio quiet zone?

posted on Mar, 16 2017 @ 07:05 AM
link   
Sad story...it is just not being rude to those who are decent enough to spend time with one but it has actually gotten dangerous when walking... Natural selection ? youtu.be...

posted on Mar, 16 2017 @ 07:10 AM
link   
I have a friend that when in a group of people keep texting and texting and barely says something. One day I asked her what was that so important that she couldn't wait and participate. Turned out that she kept texting her mom about what we were doing and talking. Weird.
(She keeps on doing that untill that day)

new topics

top topics

join