It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Spiral Universe?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Feb, 1 2005 @ 11:29 AM
link   
I was wondering if it is possible that our universe if you could see it all could look like a Galaxy?

Do solar systems move away from each other and in different directions and speeds withen a galaxy?

If so could that be a model for galaxies moving in and around a center of our universe?

Would that eliminate expansion?

Would the center be were all the dark matter went? Super humongous massive dark matter black hole?

If our univers is not modeled like a galaxy then it is nearly the only thing that does not behave in this manner. Planets, moons, asteroids and solar systems all behave like this.

The universe could also be like this in my opinion but the center and the rest of it are so far apart that we can not see it all to prove or disprove it.

posted on Feb, 1 2005 @ 12:49 PM
link   
I don't think it works that way. My understanding is that it looks more like a giant balll of soap foam. Here's a link that shows what it looks like:

images.google.com...://cfcp.uchicago.edu/lss/images/bnr0112.gif&imgrefurl=http://cfcp.uchicago.edu/lss/filaments.h tml&h=480&w=640&sz=104&tbnid=2ZMjI70C7XAJ:&tbnh=101&tbnw=135&start=12&prev=/images%3Fq%3Dstructure%2B%2Buniverse%26hl%3Den%26lr%3D%26safe%3Doff%26sa%3 DN

E_T

posted on Feb, 1 2005 @ 12:51 PM
link   

Originally posted by Xeven
Do solar systems move away from each other and in different directions and speeds withen a galaxy?
No, it's space between galaxies which is expanding, in galaxies gravity prevents scattering of matter.

And there isn't such thing as center of universe, it looks same from every spot, closer galaxies moving away slower and farther ones faster.

Large scale distribution of galaxy groups/clusters is like huge bubbles with galaxies in edges of those bubbles. (and inside of bubbles are empty)

posted on Feb, 1 2005 @ 01:17 PM
link   
Sorry,...the link messed up! Here it is again:
cosmicweb.uchicago.edu...

Sorry, and it seems only to work as a cut-and-paste.

[edit on 1-2-2005 by spike]

posted on Feb, 1 2005 @ 07:18 PM
link   

I was wondering if it is possible that our universe if you could see it all could look like a Galaxy?

Yes, an active galaxy with polar jets is a good model. The Universe tends to be fractal.

Yes.

If so could that be a model for galaxies moving in and around a center of our universe?

Yes.

Would that eliminate expansion?

No, if the chaotic expansion is occurring locally in a polar jet (think really big here).

Would the center be were all the dark matter went? Super humongous massive dark matter black hole?

Black hole yes, 'dark matter' = 'fudge factor'.

If our univers is not modeled like a galaxy then it is nearly the only thing that does not behave in this manner. Planets, moons, asteroids and solar systems all behave like this.

Two things that can induce spin are spin (!) and Lorentz forces (see Hannes Alfven).

The universe could also be like this in my opinion but the center and the rest of it are so far apart that we can not see it all to prove or disprove it.

!Carramba! You've got it! Very well done!!

E_T

posted on Feb, 2 2005 @ 04:49 AM
link   

Originally posted by Chakotay

Yes.
No, they don't move away from each others, they all just orbit center of Milky Way. And because orbital movement varies depending from distance to center it causes "apparent" movement that some of them would be going away while it's just temporary movement caused by orbits.

And about distribution of galaxies.
encarta.msn.com...
astro.uchicago.edu...

top topics

join