It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

bio-fuels, hemp, solar wind geothermal hydro, grey-water recycling, compost toilets, rainwater colle

page: 3
<< 1  2   >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 9 2005 @ 06:39 PM
link   
There are also Hay-Bale houses with R values in the low 50s. Some of the houses constructed with Hay-Bales have lasted over a century. The tech has been around that long. Last time I looked Hay was fairly abundant as well.

Ambient Sound, neat idea, got any links? I wanna read up on it some more as Me and my Father are planning to build a high effiency cottage this spring/summer/fall. We haven't even started to drill the piers or well yet so our options are still wide open.

posted on Mar, 12 2005 @ 10:48 PM
link   
I'll see if I can dig up a picture of our land partners 'Earthship" house. It is a comfortable house and it's 'solar powered' She designed it to be built into a hill with a good south exposure for passive heating energy as well. My favorite features are the natural stone steps into the kitchen, and the south side windows.
We built are house of wood- and it's still standing after 20 years.

And our other land partner made his castle outta 2 ft walls of concrete-

I guess we are the 3 pigs- straw, sticks and bricks.

img60.exs.cx...

[edit on 12-3-2005 by accountability]

posted on Mar, 12 2005 @ 11:04 PM
link   
I see you guys used alot of recycled tires!
What type of solar are you using? Heating or Panels?

posted on Mar, 15 2005 @ 01:33 PM
link   
Solar Panels for the 'well'
Passive for the houses-
the brick house has hot water pipes under the floor, solar, and passive, propane 'point of use' water heater
the straw house has wood and propane and batteries
the sticks house has a 12V battery, wood, and propane

It is Arizona- at 7000 elevation tho-

posted on Mar, 17 2005 @ 04:09 PM
link   
You are definately practicing what you are preaching.

What is a sticks house??

[edit on 17-3-2005 by sardion2000]

posted on Mar, 24 2005 @ 02:43 PM
link   
sticks = wood

We used a lot of recycled wood and continue to do so - (for the addition)

We used cheap recycled plywood, then covered it and with natural looking siding- 2*4 were new, but beams were recycled- not only are they pre-seasoned- but they are 1/2 the cost as well!

Our solar well is powered by a 80 watt panel that tracks the sun- The excess solar energy powers the brick house

posted on Mar, 24 2005 @ 03:10 PM
link   
Aah, I thought that was what you meant Just wanted to be sure is all. Well I am impressed to say the least

What do you think of the new "Spray On" Solar Panels? They just had a bit of a breakthrough in the cost(not effiency) of the product. It's around half the cost I believe at 2/3rds the effiency of regular panels(don't quote me on that)

posted on Mar, 24 2005 @ 08:46 PM
link   
How many folks here are using bio-fuels in their diesel vehicles. I've been considering it, especially with the gas prices rising so much.

Who here is successfully using alternative fuels in their vehicles? I am at least am looking to up my fuel efficiency in my vehicle.

Troy

posted on Mar, 27 2005 @ 11:40 AM
link   
Well I know of no one as of yet, but there IS a Biofuel pump just down the street so if my dad were to do such a thing it would not be that hard. It might be a bit pricey but not difficult at all. Only bad thing is when you drive around your car smells like a Fast Food joint
(outside that is not inside)

[edit on 27-3-2005 by sardion2000]

posted on Mar, 28 2005 @ 10:23 PM
link   
I guess smelling McDonalds fries is better than gagging on normal diesel. Of course you might be hungry all the time for fast food.

Damn, you could have the problem of getting fat from fast food visits.

Troy

posted on Mar, 29 2005 @ 10:22 PM
link   
Thats whats great about the west, you can build whatever kind of earthship you want and no one bitches about it. Here in the east, they would show up with court orders and bulldozers to level them. I'm hoping to at least bring in some solar voltics and water along with a graywater filter for ornimental gardens. I'm also considering a hybrid, but the availablity is still a little price and slim pickings.

posted on Mar, 29 2005 @ 10:25 PM
link   
Well if you don't mind a small ride... no make that micro ride from Zap Automotive Technologies. Here is the web site

www.zapworld.com...

They are an up and coming company, if thier current offerings are not to your liking they are coming out with many more models within the next 24 months.

[edit on 29-3-2005 by sardion2000]

posted on Mar, 30 2005 @ 09:50 PM
link   
That's a pretty cool site. Got me wanting an electric car, and an electric ATV.

Troy

posted on Mar, 30 2005 @ 10:17 PM
link   
Another link of interest, with more links within.

www.eaaev.org...

Troy

top topics

<< 1  2   >>

join