It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Scientists say: "Earth Axis Unstable"

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 15 2017 @ 08:00 AM
link   
advances.sciencemag.org...

en.wikipedia.org...

www.isciencetimes.com...

Before the year 2000 axis moved a little back and forth at random with an amplitude of 1 to 2 cm a year, now there is trend of 21 cm a year in the direction of Greenland (some say is going East along the Greenwich line, so to London). So there is a trend. In 15 years axis has moved along this direction about 2 meter. Well at first I thought they handed me the wrong dossier, but OK: "London wants to be the center of the world, right?"

First article is bit confusing however, for me as a layman, because it says that the axis tilted already 75 degrees and the North Pole is already in Africa
where it would be now severe cold and have the "pole night". However same article also says a shift of only about 2 meter in 15 years or so.

Nonetheless every thing could mean that the poles are indeed on drift, and that after passing a threshold, we get a cataclysmic rapid pole shift (when you Google pole shift can also mean the magnetic poles by the way, but I mean the earth axis)

Major axis shifts would lead to tectonic instability and gargantuan earthquakes and tsunamis, because of the wobble (I mean here egg like, tangerine like) of the earth and the on the magma floating continents (Wegner)

edit on 2017-3-15 by galien8 because: extra info

posted on Mar, 15 2017 @ 08:02 AM
link   
Nice! I hope it doesn't take too long. We need a reset.
edit on 15/3/2017 by vinifalou because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 15 2017 @ 08:06 AM
link   
a reply to: galien8

Fascinating subject - thanks for sharing this.

This might be of interest to you:

Melting ice is causing the Earth's axis to shift direction

Some great illustrations in it as well.

posted on Mar, 15 2017 @ 08:08 AM
link   
Uhhhh , the Earth's axis has wobbled since the start....never been stable. Ever.
Deny Ignorance.

posted on Mar, 15 2017 @ 08:09 AM
link   
"Major axis shifts would lead to tectonic instability and gargantuan earthquakes and tsunamis, because of the wobble of the earth and the on the magma floating continents (Wegner)"

That's exactly what came to mind reading this. It's likely that if there was ever pole shifts, they would correspond with seismic movement as the continents did in past pole reversals. Continents rising, sinking, moving great distances. All of pre-histories past dynamic movements.

posted on Mar, 15 2017 @ 08:15 AM
link   

Strong deviation in linear drift since about 2000 is likely related to climate-induced mass redistribution, including the melting of polar ice sheets...

I knew they were going to go all climate when I saw the title of the first linked article.

The Wiki linked below it reminds us...

There is evidence of precession and changes in axial tilt, but this change is on much longer time-scales and does not involve relative motion of the spin axis with respect to the planet. However, in what is known as true polar wander, the solid Earth can rotate with respect to a fixed spin axis. Research shows that during the last 200 million years a total true polar wander of some 30° has occurred, but that no super-rapid shifts in the Earth's pole were found during this period. A characteristic rate of true polar wander is 1° or less per million years

As an aside, the next sentence is interesting...

Between approximately 790 and 810 million years ago, when the supercontinent Rodinia existed, two geologically rapid phases of true polar wander may have occurred. In each of these, the magnetic poles of the Earth shifted by approximately 55°.

Probably due to a giant impact event. (Smashing)

Spin a gyroscope and we see the wander of the axis as it begins to slow down. The earth isn't 'slowing down', it does wander slightly (Dance of the Spheres) about its axis, this is well understood and slightly... ordinary.

But let me know when polaris shifts out of its position suddenly, thats going to take one hella god smack.

posted on Mar, 15 2017 @ 08:18 AM
link   

originally posted by: vinifalou
Nice! I hope it doesn't take too long. We need a reset.

THE RESET...SET, SET, SET (AHA)

posted on Mar, 15 2017 @ 08:19 AM
link   

originally posted by: FamCore

Thanks

posted on Mar, 15 2017 @ 08:22 AM
link   

now there is trend of 21 cm a year in the direction of Greenland

Does that mean I'll get to Europe from Australia without flying...sounds good to me

posted on Mar, 15 2017 @ 08:26 AM
link   

originally posted by: Plotus
"Major axis shifts would lead to tectonic instability and gargantuan earthquakes and tsunamis, because of the wobble of the earth and the on the magma floating continents (Wegner)"

That's exactly what came to mind reading this. It's likely that if there was ever pole shifts, they would correspond with seismic movement as the continents did in past pole reversals. Continents rising, sinking, moving great distances. All of pre-histories past dynamic movements.

OK! I'm not native English, I thought wobble meant egg like earth, tangerine like earth etc. because of centrifugal forces, get it?, thats how I meant it anyways, but now I think wobble means random movement of the axis.

posted on Mar, 15 2017 @ 08:28 AM
link   
I actually did some studying on this a while back and we may have an impending shift coming. I tried to find if it would be better or worse for us here by reading possible quarter rotational turn which is what some of the articles stated. Well, I guess no matter which way things go, our Yooper weather will be the same. Lots of snow in the winter and mostly cool summers, just like it is now. Oh well, I suppose it could be worse, we could have weather like Texas or like Siberia.

There are many articles on this, a quarter shift is possible. There is evidence of this in some geological records that relate to the magnetic alignment of rock formations.

posted on Mar, 15 2017 @ 08:32 AM
link   
Picture an elliptical orbit..... only slightly less pronounced, much less pronounced. Your picture of an Egg approximates the condition trying to visualize the phenomenon.

posted on Mar, 15 2017 @ 09:03 AM
link   

Tis making me wonder if it's got something to do with the Shuman Resonance. Interesting times.

posted on Mar, 15 2017 @ 09:38 AM
link   

originally posted by: intrptr
But let me know when polaris shifts out of its position suddenly, thats going to take one hella god smack.

Seeing ... is believing.

I love common sense. Next best thing since Science was invented. LOL

posted on Mar, 15 2017 @ 09:38 AM
link   

originally posted by: Gothmog
Uhhhh , the Earth's axis has wobbled since the start....never been stable. Ever.
Deny Ignorance.

Ugh, did you even READ the article...Probably a trump supporter....the trend is growing, it is becoming more unstable since 2000....anyway, of coarse clearly it did not mean anything to you to waste your time reading before commenting......the irony runs thick, Deny Ignorance!

edit on 15-3-2017 by kurthall because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 15 2017 @ 09:44 AM
link   
I could be majorly incorrect here, but from what I understand, a 75-degree shift in Earth's axis would take a MAJOR impact from an external source, otherwise our nice little blue-green ball, which is already in motion and influenced by the same forces that it always has been (at least for historical purposes) would stay in that same motion--it's pretty much a fundamental law of motion, is it not?

posted on Mar, 15 2017 @ 09:59 AM
link   

Didn't the Illuminati Card game featured Combined Disasters where it shows what happens when the poles shift?

posted on Mar, 15 2017 @ 10:01 AM
link   

originally posted by: FamCore

See, this is the problem with articles such as this--the double-speak of AGW proponents.

From your article:

The movement of the Earth’s axis has no practical effects on humans, because it is so small. “We suspect these changes are occurring at a meter [or] a meter-and-a-half, at the most, per year,” Ivins says. But tracking the shifts in the Earth's axis is crucial for other reasons, including GPS positioning and proper functioning of orbiting satellites.

Ah, so, no big deal, really, and there will be zero practical effects on humans because of this wobble that is possibly due to melting glaciers and ice caps and the like.

But wait, immediately following that comment, there's this:

Moreover, while these changes don’t “have a feedback that is necessarily important to life on Earth,” they are kind of a wake-up call for civilization — that anthropogenic, human-related climate disruption can cause such a profound change.

So which is it? I mean, are there no practical effects on humans and these changes don't a feedback important to life on Earth, or is it a disruption caused by man that has caused "such a profound change?"

I mean, I understand the definition of "profound," and something that isn't very important and has no practical effects on something isn't exactly "profound."

posted on Mar, 15 2017 @ 10:03 AM
link   
a reply to: starwarsisreal

That must be why I keep seeing alien ships in the sky.

posted on Mar, 15 2017 @ 10:09 AM
link   

originally posted by: kurthall

originally posted by: Gothmog
Deny Ignorance.

Ugh, did you even READ the article...Probably a trump supporter....the trend is growing, it is becoming more unstable since 2000....anyway, of coarse clearly it did not mean anything to you to waste your time reading before commenting......the irony runs thick, Deny Ignorance!

So You actually think We need to head to the bunkers if the north pole creeps south east by 15 centimeters per year? I hate to burst Your bubble but the poles are always moving and yet life still goes on as it has for billions of years. The only thing that is constant on this planet is change and their is no amount of regulations and taxes that is going to change this outcome.

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join