It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

CH-53K set to surpass F-35 unit cost

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Mar, 14 2017 @ 06:14 PM
link   
The Marine CH-53K King Stallion that is under development is set to cost more per aircraft than an F-35. The current cost is at $95M per CH-53K, and it appears it's going to grow. A recent report to Congress put the current cost growth at 14%, and they expect the final growth to be 22%, putting the per unit cost about $122M.

The latest batch of F-35Bs, also flown by the Marines, cost $122.8M per aircraft. That cost has been dropping with each buy.

The CH-53K is set to become the most expensive rotorcraft ever. The V-22 previously held that distinction, at $72M a copy.

www.dodbuzz.com...

posted on Mar, 14 2017 @ 06:25 PM
link   
a reply to: Zaphod58

I see the price tag of the F-35 lowering, and I'll be honest don't know too much in this area, but doesn't the government subsidize the R&D of these aircraft as well? Or is that on the manufacturer?

posted on Mar, 14 2017 @ 06:27 PM
link   
a reply to: Vector99

It's included in the program cost. That's one of the reasons the costs drop the more units you buy. They're able to spread the R&D costs more.

posted on Mar, 14 2017 @ 06:36 PM
link   

Hopefully we are selling it for more than what our price is to our allies, otherwise it seems we funded a kickass jet that others get for pennies on the dollar.

posted on Mar, 14 2017 @ 06:48 PM
link   

Helicopter. It's a kick ass helicopter, don't get me wrong, but it better be for that price.

posted on Mar, 14 2017 @ 06:52 PM
link   

I meant the lowering price of the f35 that we are selling to our allies not the CH-53K

posted on Mar, 14 2017 @ 06:54 PM
link   

Oh they're getting it for about the same price we are. The price will depend on the changes they make for their own additions.

posted on Mar, 14 2017 @ 06:55 PM
link   
Do not get me wrong I love the USMC but this is getting out of hand. They were quoted in the article that they were willing to shoulder the costs of such an elaborate rotary wing aircraft and are spending more on aircraft than ground forces. They have used their cachet time and time again to wring more $$$$ out of the budget

They are amphibious assault troops and yes they need an air component but they at this point forgetting their primary mission.

The Osprey, the F-35B (Which forced compromises on the whole program) and now the CH-53K. Three of the most expensive airplanes in the inventory (i'm excluding the B-21 because its a strategic not a tactical assest)Maybe its time clip some of the wings (both literally an figuratively)

posted on Mar, 14 2017 @ 07:05 PM
link   
a reply to: FredT

This is what happens when you have the godawful budget mismanagement, combined with the world's worst procurement process. The Marines have reached the point they HAVE to replace the current CH-53 fleet. Their maintenance to flight hours are almost out of control. They bought the Japanese -53s as they retired them, so they could strip them for parts.

Until we fix both the budget and procurement process, we'll keep seeing this crap, and will keep spending more and more to buy airframes that are more advanced versions of older ones, costing 4x as much.

posted on Mar, 14 2017 @ 07:35 PM
link   

I agree with you there but I'm losing sympathy for them. THEY insisted on the Osprey and used their formidable lobbing to keep the MV-22 afloat insisting it was essential to their needs. Now this.

We are getting to the point budget wise were we cannot do everything. Yes total reform in the procurement side would help, but a 100 million dollar chopper? Thats starting to get waaaaaaay out of hand.

Maybe they should look again at the Chinook

posted on Mar, 14 2017 @ 07:41 PM
link   
a reply to: FredT

I lost sympathy for them years ago. I guarantee you that if that was a fixed price contract it wouldn't have gone much over the cost of a new E model.

posted on Mar, 14 2017 @ 08:29 PM
link   

Well with that thinking won't 53k lower aswell with units sold?

posted on Mar, 14 2017 @ 09:15 PM
link   
a reply to: Crumbles

It may drop some, but they're only buying 200 of them. Unless an ally comes in with a huge buy, they won't buy enough of them to drop the cost significantly.

posted on Mar, 15 2017 @ 12:31 AM
link   
Why dont they invest in improving the standard armor for a soldier, and imporoving their primary weapon?

They skimp on the purchases that can really save lives

posted on Mar, 15 2017 @ 01:02 AM
link   
a reply to: Lucidparadox

The AR platform is so perfect compared to what has come after it, that there's a reason most/all NATO nations are slowly ditching their indigenous weapons systems for the AR family. It's accurate enough, and it's ridiculously simple to troubleshoot and clean.

This is coming from someone who almost exclusively shoots Russian Vepr AK-pattern stuff.

Until someone makes telescoped/caseless ammo work, the AR will remain the premier service weapon family for American troops.

All other attempts to replace the AR system will end up like the OICW: incredibly effective, and completely un-fieldable.

posted on Mar, 15 2017 @ 08:56 AM
link   

That makes sense. Not as in demand.

posted on Mar, 15 2017 @ 09:04 AM
link   

Germany and Israel have formally requested information on it, and Japan showed interest, but beyond that, they're pretty much tapped out.

posted on Mar, 15 2017 @ 09:07 AM
link   

originally posted by: Barnalby
a reply to: Lucidparadox

The AR platform is so perfect compared to what has come after it, that there's a reason most/all NATO nations are slowly ditching their indigenous weapons systems for the AR family. It's accurate enough, and it's ridiculously simple to troubleshoot and clean.

This is coming from someone who almost exclusively shoots Russian Vepr AK-pattern stuff.

Until someone makes telescoped/caseless ammo work, the AR will remain the premier service weapon family for American troops.

All other attempts to replace the AR system will end up like the OICW: incredibly effective, and completely un-fieldable.

The AR suffers from the 5.56. Necking up to 6.5mm while keeping the same brass would allow use of existing magazines and rifles with only a barrel and bolt change. An old but still active link: www.defensereview.com...

posted on Mar, 15 2017 @ 12:28 PM
link   

originally posted by: Zaphod58

Germany and Israel have formally requested information on it, and Japan showed interest, but beyond that, they're pretty much tapped out.

At that unit cost you could almost by Chinooks 3 to 1 so I'm not surprised.

new topics

top topics

join