It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Of Interest to Smart Members

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 14 2017 @ 12:07 PM
link   
a reply to: soficrow

Motivated Reasoning:
"I must vote for Hillary at all costs and despite her dodgy past because the TV interpreted Trump as saying bad things which the TV said hurts my feelings"

Motivated Reasoning:
"I must vote for Trump at all costs because the proof is overwhelming that Hillary is the dodgiest bitch that God has ever pumped breath into"

Correct, the article didn't change my mind.

posted on Mar, 14 2017 @ 12:09 PM
link   

I call it GLP logic. It states that the more opposition to a stupid idea that exists, the more that stupid idea is "proven" true.

Like when the slow leaks say something like "with this many shills showing up here, I can see I am onto something big".
Some folks, you just can't reach.....

posted on Mar, 14 2017 @ 12:10 PM
link   
Leftists and rightists are ate up with it. A Centrist or moderate can't even talk to them. It's a waste of time. You can't reason with the unreasonable.

posted on Mar, 14 2017 @ 12:30 PM
link   
Now what are us 40 IQ people supposed to think ?

posted on Mar, 14 2017 @ 12:36 PM
link   
a reply to: DBCowboy

I tried. They were all illegal immigrants, so no charges, no convictions....

All I heard was "I'm not from here, send me home"
edit on 3142017 by Natas0114 because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 14 2017 @ 12:49 PM
link   

originally posted by: network dude

I call it GLP logic. It states that the more opposition to a stupid idea that exists, the more that stupid idea is "proven" true.

Like when the slow leaks say something like "with this many shills showing up here, I can see I am onto something big".
Some folks, you just can't reach.....

Geesh, there you go again, shilling it up in here.

posted on Mar, 14 2017 @ 12:58 PM
link   

originally posted by: xuenchen
Now what are us 40 IQ people supposed to think ?

Ask congress.

posted on Mar, 14 2017 @ 02:12 PM
link   
The article is about convictions, cognitive dissonance and motivated reasoning - but the thread was a kind of a reverse psychology experiment. I wanted to wait a while longer but I have to go now. Thanks to everyone who had the balls to click and respond. I want you to know I starred every single post.

posted on Mar, 14 2017 @ 02:40 PM
link   

All of my paranoid spider senses about being the subject of a great social experiment have just been confirmed.

posted on Mar, 14 2017 @ 04:38 PM
link   
a reply to: Ksihkehe

Brother gots to get paid.

posted on Mar, 14 2017 @ 05:43 PM
link   

It's true.

I believe galaxies and atoms are the same thing on different scales and I really don't care what anybody else thinks, or what evidence they put forth.

I'm right dammit, and that's all there is to it.

Isn't being human fun?

edit on 14-3-2017 by Bone75 because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 14 2017 @ 06:24 PM
link   

Or we could approach the subject this way. We all see this photo. Clearly, it is a glass half full, but I'll bet some contrarian will come along and tell me it is a glass half empty soon enough.

We can spend time all day making arguments to support our differing viewpoints in this photo and the simple fact of the glass and the liquid does not change.

posted on Mar, 14 2017 @ 06:30 PM
link   
a reply to: ketsuko

There's a third choice. I know it.

But I forget what it was.

posted on Mar, 14 2017 @ 06:37 PM
link   

originally posted by: soficrow

There's a third choice. I know it.

But I forget what it was.

I've heard it too but I'm not coming up with it off the top of my head. Everyone knows the old half empty/half full paradigm though and it makes the point well enough.

I also used to describe it as trying to sort out what happens after a fight in a school. You can hear what one person says about it and then the other and then question the witnesses, but the only real way to see what actually happened is if you get a video camera on it. Otherwise, you're only getting versions of it.

That's why our court system relies more on evidence than it does on testimony, or at least, it's supposed to.

posted on Mar, 14 2017 @ 07:03 PM
link   

Yes, you made the point alright. But I still wanna share the meme.

posted on Mar, 15 2017 @ 11:04 AM
link   
Politics is religion to our brain.

And religion is self identity.

This is why political bickering does nothing more than take up server space. And why "identity politics" works so well. We process political belief as part of our sense of self, and anytime the ego is attacked you get violent response.

"Cognitive dissonance" is a symptom of this.

posted on Mar, 15 2017 @ 01:19 PM
link   
a reply to: bigfatfurrytexan

Uh huh. But some of us are spiritual, not religious - and identifiably "different" on both fronts, subjected to the assaults Kosinski documented in the story of "The Painted Bird." Plus ca change... lol

"Spirituality is about one's relationship with the divine - religion is crowd control."

edit on 15-3-2017 by soficrow because: (no reason given)

edit on 15-3-2017 by soficrow because: clarity

posted on Mar, 15 2017 @ 01:28 PM
link   

originally posted by: soficrow

Uh huh. But some of us are spiritual, not religious - and identifiably "different" on both fronts, subjected to the assaults Kosinski documented in the story of "The Painted Bird." Plus ca change... lol

"Spirituality is about one's relationship with the divine - religion is crowd control."

That may be true, but you are biologically human and process information in the way that humans do.

Im anything but religious. I was raised around it, and chose differently. But even if i weren't things like "thank God" are cultural utterances that speak to a different true state of mind among the masses who profess agnostism. Or, to put it differently, even atheists pray to God while dying. And Lord knows I can relate to that. When your child is unconcious and you don't know why, you start calling to whoever will listen in the spirit world. God, the devil, Aunt Edith....i don't even have an Aunt Edith, but if there is one and she'll help ill pray my ass off.

Everyone (who isn't pathological) utilizes that part of the brain to process information related to how one idenfies themselves If you identify as spiritual, then that is where your cognitive dissonance will lie. I bet the prior paragraph was a fair bit uncomfortable to read, right?

posted on Mar, 15 2017 @ 03:00 PM
link   

...I bet the prior paragraph was a fair bit uncomfortable to read, right?

Not at all. ...I agree with and relate to what you wrote (in my own spiritual and unique way). Been in that tunnel a few times, often called on my "protectors" for help.

But in the spirit of disclosure - Grew up in the 'country' with Catholic parents, went to the fundamentalist (Baptist?) church 'in town' instead of the Anglican one, got confirmed Lutheran 'cuz parents thought confirmation was essential and that was the closest option, spent time with Jewish relatives, and FN ones too. Most of what's "stuck and stayed" comes from my time alone in the bush - with trees, rocks, animals. I call my stints in university and the corporate world "the dark time in the middle of my life." [Because it was spiritually 'empty,' and wrongly focused.]

PS. Have you read "The Painted Bird"? ...It's the story of how people in a small town in Europe would capture birds, paint them exquisitely, then release them for the fun of watching them try to rejoin the flock and be pecked to death because they're different. ...Pretty gruesome, like all the other folktales in that book.

edit on 15-3-2017 by soficrow because: add bracket

edit on 15-3-2017 by soficrow because: add ps

top topics

<< 1   >>

join