It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

RQ-170 - Vandenburg - Some quality underside photos

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 14 2017 @ 10:48 AM
link   
a reply to: Barnalby

The Ethiopian aircraft in London showed just how far they've come with composites. The fact that they were able to repair that much damage, on a largely composite airframe, and return it to service, faster than expected would be amazing enough. Add that to your points, and it sure looks like they're a lot farther with them than anyone is comfortable admitting to.

posted on Mar, 14 2017 @ 11:01 AM
link   
a reply to: Zaphod58

I'm sure that was one of those of "start by laying twice as many layers of bonding glass as you think you should need, then lay twice as much as that" sorts of composite repairs. The replaced section is probably the strongest part of that aircraft by a considerable margin now.

posted on Mar, 14 2017 @ 11:19 AM
link   
a reply to: Zaphod58

I'd still do that in a heart beat.

posted on Mar, 14 2017 @ 11:24 AM
link   
a reply to: Sammamishman

I think any of us would, haha. It would be like a return to my art school days...

posted on Mar, 14 2017 @ 03:22 PM
link   
a reply to: stratsys-sws

Cool! Thanks for the info. Much appreciated.
The dielectric panel would make sense.

posted on Mar, 15 2017 @ 01:36 AM
link   
I heard rumors, and speculation about this thing before I retired from the AF several years ago. Sweet looking airframe.

Probably a pain in the arse for the wrench turners... newer designs usually are.

posted on Mar, 15 2017 @ 10:33 PM
link   
a reply to: Sammamishman

I'd also imagine something to do with the Pacific range right out there. Lot's of airspace and water to interface with other missions. SEALs is a good guess but it could be anything PACOM related. Did anyone notice FOAL EAGLE this year had some new intelligence players??

posted on Mar, 15 2017 @ 10:34 PM
link   
a reply to: aholic

There are interesting things going on with Foal Eagle this year. The F-35s from Iwakuni are there too, along with a SEAL unit for the first time.
edit on 3/15/2017 by Zaphod58 because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 16 2017 @ 06:14 AM
link   

along with a SEAL unit for the first time.

Oooohhh Raider time?

new topics

top topics

<< 1   >>

join