It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

CBO says 14 mil Will Lose Coverage Next Year Under GOP Health Care Plan

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 13 2017 @ 03:50 PM
link   
The CBO ( Congressional Budget Office) has issued a report today with its findings concerning the GOP's Obamacare replacement known as the the AHCA or the American Health Care Act. Despite Trump's promises to have a better health system in which everyone will be covered, the CBO says that 24million will be without insurance by 2026. Even worse is the fact that older people will have to pay more under this plan, according to the article.

The Congressional Budget Office’s report on the American Health Care Act estimates that 14 million people would be without health insurance in 2018 versus under the plan, while 24 million people would be uninsured in 2026 than under the current plan. The 28-page report released Monday afternoon was bad news for Republicans who had been preemptively attacking the office in anticipation of a scoring critical of their proposed Obamacare replacement plan. The report also said that while the AHCA would substantially decrease premiums for younger policy holders, it would substantially raise them for older Americans.

Healthcare....I don't know what to say. Will the GOP bring us true, affordable healthcare? What says ATS?

www.yahoo.com... eport-184603210.html

+10 more 
posted on Mar, 13 2017 @ 03:53 PM
link   
With no Federal Mandate requiring Americans to purchase health insurance, or be fined, of course you'll have people choosing to go without. It's called FREEDOM.

posted on Mar, 13 2017 @ 03:54 PM
link   
Imagine that. It's almost like everyone said this was a terrible plan.

posted on Mar, 13 2017 @ 03:54 PM
link   
Not like Republicans ever cared whether anyone (besides themselves) had healthcare or not before... why change now?

posted on Mar, 13 2017 @ 03:57 PM
link   
The number of people insured is a bit of a red herring, for the reasons Carewemust points out.

The more important information is:

The good : $336bn deficit reduction over a decade.
The bad : Increasing premiums by c15%.

The report was also based on stage 1 only, which is all the CBO have to work with, and does not include future stages of opening up insurance across state lines to increase competition.
edit on 13/3/2017 by UKTruth because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 13 2017 @ 03:57 PM
link   
a reply to: carewemust

The CBO can't determine who will drop their insurance based on choice. What they can determine is the number of people that will lose insurance because they can no longer pay for it. But feel free to keep deflecting from how terrible this plan actually is.

posted on Mar, 13 2017 @ 03:59 PM
link   

originally posted by: Xcalibur254

The CBO can't determine who will drop their insurance based on choice. What they can determine is the number of people that will lose insurance because they can no longer pay for it. But feel free to keep deflecting from how terrible this plan actually is.

Can you post their methodology? I thought they did estimate the effect of people opting out based on the report I just watched, but you seem to have more info...

Here is one of their reports in 2010...

Under current law, CBO and JCT have estimated that about 23 million nonelderly residents will be uninsured in 2019. By eliminating the individual mandate to obtain coverage, the proposal would increase the number of uninsured by about 16 million people, resulting in an estimated 39 million uninsured in 2019.

www.cbo.gov...

Have they dropped this element of their method then? Based on the 2010 numbers it would appear that nearly all of the latest CBO estimate would be people dropping out due to the removal of the mandate.

I have been trying to delve into more detail, and would appreciate if you could pass on the new methodology you have access to...

posted on Mar, 13 2017 @ 04:01 PM
link   

Imagine that. It's almost like everyone said this was a terrible plan.

It's a GREAT PLAN for those who choose to go without Health Insurance. No more Penalty to pay! They can just wait until they need medical care and sign-up with their I-Phone en-route to the hospital. Get the treatment and cancel the plan!

posted on Mar, 13 2017 @ 04:03 PM
link   

posted on Mar, 13 2017 @ 04:04 PM
link   
Why don't we just go to socialized health care and be done with it. Many of the doctors I know would love to have that. It would be a lot less stressful. I actually asked doctors I know, I do not assume they would not like it. Ask your doctor.

No malpractice insurance costs to worry about, no worries about billing insurance companies, no employees to worry about paying wages too, lots less stress and actually bonuses if you get someone fixed right away.

I would also prefer getting a yearly salary over a hundred grand if I was a doctor. Most would probably make more than working for a hospital. Government pension too.

posted on Mar, 13 2017 @ 04:08 PM
link   
a reply to: UKTruth

I'm just basing it off the fact that they're a budgetary office. They can look at the numbers and say that under these new guidelines these people can't afford insurance. They can't look and the numbers and say these people will voluntary choose to forgo insurance. They base their analyses off math. Not psychology.

I also find it funny how Trump's supporters have suddenly turned on the CBO. They cheered it all through Obama's tenure. They even have a Republican heading the thing. But as soon as they say something that contradicts Trump they are a partisan organization with the purpose to destroy America. It's almost like there are a bunch of hypocrites among Trump's supporters.

posted on Mar, 13 2017 @ 04:09 PM
link   
I lost My healthcare when Obama pushed that crap through so I guess they are going to have to suffer like the rest of us.

posted on Mar, 13 2017 @ 04:10 PM
link   

It must be nice to have the money to not only be able to pay for insurance but also be able to cover the fine when you actually need it.

posted on Mar, 13 2017 @ 04:11 PM
link   

originally posted by: rickymouse
Why don't we just go to socialized health care and be done with it.

I would also prefer getting a yearly salary over a hundred grand if I was a doctor. Most would probably make more than working for a hospital. Government pension too.

It seems to me that Republicans are using a back-door method to get us to Single-Payer/Socialized Medicare-4-All. They can't just come out and ask for it, for obvious reasons.

But under current rules, I can't think of any health insurer who would subject themselves to such abuse.

link   
a reply to: rickymouse

Because socialized medicine takes money from the ultra rich and uses that to help afford the cost of treating the poor and destitute. Now what god fearing christian in their right mind would want their hard earned and god given money to go to those who god clearly despises (he made them poor for a reason right - so they can suffer, and if you stop their suffering you are offending god)?

In all seriousness though the rich don't want to pay for the poor, because the poor are destitute from their loose morals, bad choices, unworthiness in general. I mean, when you think about it, really we should be figured out how to get rid of the poor people so there isn't a population that needs supporting. Best way would probably be just to cut off their ability to get medical care, and let the ravages of poor nutrition and disease take care of the problems for us, the Republican TM way!

link   

I would certainly o back to the days of no insurance. In fact, I welcome it. Forcing everyone to buy health insurance like a true fascist dictator is what caused the skyrocketing prices IMO. I mean, the industry has no motivation to improve prices because no matter what, you are forced at GUNPOINT to buy it from somewhere. Thats right, the individual mandate is extortion at gunpoint.

When there was actually a threat of a customer having the choice of not being insured at all, the competing industry players had to find ways to entice customers by offering lower prices.

You can add me to the list of people who will lose coverage, by choice, and be excited about it.

posted on Mar, 13 2017 @ 04:13 PM
link   

I'm just basing it off the fact that they're a budgetary office. They can look at the numbers and say that under these new guidelines these people can't afford insurance. They can't look and the numbers and say these people will voluntary choose to forgo insurance. They base their analyses off math. Not psychology.

I also find it funny how Trump's supporters have suddenly turned on the CBO. They cheered it all through Obama's tenure. They even have a Republican heading the thing. But as soon as they say something that contradicts Trump they are a partisan organization with the purpose to destroy America. It's almost like there are a bunch of hypocrites among Trump's supporters.

Oh I see, so you made it up. It sounds like you know absolutely nothing at all about how they estimate. Even after I posted you their 2010 estimate with the summary of their model, you still insist they don't estimate the effect of people dropping out due to no mandate.

Well now you know, the CBO do indeed estimate the number of people who will opt out because there is no mandate.
Incidentally, this is also the reason that they estimate prices will go up... the people who drop out will be more healthy and thus change the profile of the risk pool (more risky for the insurers), hence prices go up.

IN 2010, the effect of the mandate was estimated to account for 16m more uninsured people (due to dropping out).
The vast majority of the new estimate of uninsured increase will be those that drop out too.

posted on Mar, 13 2017 @ 04:16 PM
link   

And guess what happened pre-ACA? The people that couldn't afford insurance and didn't qualify for Medicaid went to the ER for every little thing. Who covered the bill? In most cases the taxpayers. What do you think costs more? Covering those people's Medicaid costs or covering their monthly trips to the hospital?

The Right is really left with a decision. Either they can abandon the belief that we're a Christian nation and just let poor people die because they can't afford basic healthcare. Or they can actually contribute to helping the poor. The current GOP members in office have clearly chosen the former. Let's see if there's enough dissent to get them to abandon their un-Christian ways.

posted on Mar, 13 2017 @ 04:18 PM
link   

originally posted by: Blazemore2000
Not like Republicans ever cared whether anyone (besides themselves) had healthcare or not before... why change now?

What about the 30 million currently w/o insurance?

The whole thing is a failure.

posted on Mar, 13 2017 @ 04:18 PM
link   

Incidentally, this is also the reason that they estimate prices will go up... the people who drop out will be more healthy and thus change the profile of the risk pool (more risky for the insurers), hence prices go up.

So then you agree that it's a terrible plan.

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join