It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

-it's 'Digital Heroin': how screens turn kids into psychotic junkies-

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 13 2017 @ 02:28 PM
link   

originally posted by: worldstarcountry
Too bad all the addicted adults are going to counter the claim with some nonsense
I started limited my two older sons computer time

You countered it nicely.
Parents need to parent better. control access, set times and routine. the story going on here is some mother who didn't bother controlling anything letting the young child be babysat with the games..same happens with lazy parents and TV. I guess TV does have timeslots though so there are ending points to their programs, but still..just stepping up and having a carrot/stick approach would be best.

posted on Mar, 13 2017 @ 02:47 PM
link   
The difference is not the addiction. It's how easy it is to get it.

No need to work for that big boat, that vacation, the cabin.

All these materialist criticizing these new consumerist.

Pretty hypocritical.

Let alone food.

posted on Mar, 13 2017 @ 03:13 PM
link   

originally posted by: worldstarcountry
I personally believe that there is a correlation to my children's behavior now that this activity is a rationed and reward based activity, instead of one where they is entitled to have access to it regardless.

The correlation is that you followed through on your plan to limit your sons' time on the computer. It's reflected in their behavior because they know you will follow through and no amount of bad behavior will get you to give in.

I don't think it has anything to do with something a computer or screen time does....it has to do with being a committed and effective parent.

posted on Mar, 13 2017 @ 03:39 PM
link   
I think some computer technology shouldn't be for kids. We invented something really brilliant and people bought it and suddenly kids wanted it too and we let them.
It's comparable to cigarettes or other things that really should only be for adults and after many years we realised that we shouldn't have let kids us them. In Victorian times or even in the 1920s, you could see little kids smoking and it was just like internet access: why not? Until years of experience and consequences opened our eyes.

I really don't think the internet should be accessed by kids, full stop. There is no way kids should be let lose on there on their own.
Computers yes, absolutely, but only with guidance and for educational purposes. Games on consoles only for short times and supervised.
I bet kids were allowed to drive too when the first cars came out.
Brainless technology including social networks are poison for developing brains. They biologically/physically can't handle it.
To be able to become a functioning member in society, you have to be able to read other humans face to face, their movements, intonations, facial expressions.

posted on Mar, 13 2017 @ 05:32 PM
link   
Been playing computer games for the last 25 years and not noticed any behaviour issues with myself, that being said i did spend more time outside playing as a kid, these days i only play Xbox once or twice a week, unlike when I'd spend all day playing games and missed work, guess that was a huge problem and sorted that out quickly, with today's technology more people will get stuck in the tec bubble than the likes of us born in the 80's or early 90's.

posted on Mar, 13 2017 @ 05:47 PM
link   
I think a couple of my old threads may be very relevant in light of this new information
Hendricus G Loos
Manipulation through monitor patent

posted on Mar, 14 2017 @ 04:35 AM
link   
First, it's common sense not to give your kid an unlimited amount of time to play with "screens" at least until he/she's 16 +. A child shouldn't even have a phone until about 17+.
Second, the Author of the article apparently hasn't sniffed coke. And it's a damn shame they shine it in such negative light. It's not even in the same ballpark as electronics. Everyone knows it's too expensive to get addicted.
edit on fTuesdayAmerica/Chicago5004699 by Flesh699 because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 14 2017 @ 07:35 AM
link   
a reply to: Flesh699

The effect is the same on the brain scans apparently.

And what's the deal with your edit line?

posted on Mar, 14 2017 @ 08:34 AM
link   
Oh no computer games are bad....
No they are not, they teach complex problem solving skills.
I'm sure I wouldn't have become a scientific programmer if it wasn't for exposure to computer games when I was young.
But like anything, it should be in moderation.

posted on Mar, 14 2017 @ 09:51 AM
link   
a reply to: Flesh699

Everyone knows it's too expensive to get addicted.

If any addiction was too expensive, we wouldn't have any addicts.

Addicts always find a way to get the money to pay for their addiction. It is society that always has trouble fitting the bill.

posted on Mar, 14 2017 @ 10:00 AM
link   
a reply to: SaturnFX
I raised my nephew. His son asked me during the holidays when they came to visit, why his father loved history so much.

He said his Dad is always reading a book about history, and he only watches movies about history. I told him I didn't know, why didn't he ask his Dad. He said I did, he told me to ask you.

My nephew said, " you know we were only allowed to watch TV 2 hours a day, and then it had to be TLC or the History Channel". He said I got hooked on History.

Their brains are like sponges and they constantly crave more of what they are being fed. Feed them healthy stuff.

posted on Mar, 14 2017 @ 11:33 AM
link   
a reply to: Dr X

how do you feel about the results of the childrens brain scans?

new topics

top topics

<< 1   >>

join