It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Opera and CCleaner Issues

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Mar, 12 2017 @ 11:31 AM
link   
Hello, ATS!

I'm back with another little PITA computer issue.
Running Win 7, 64-bit pro.
Firefox and Waterfox run fine.
Not interested in using Chrome.

We run a few browsers, but the only one having issues is the most current version of Opera.
Also the most current version on CCleaner.

Both are very slow to open, very slow to close....or both.
Opera has slow page loads, and it seems to get worse the longer the session.
Runs normally when the laptop first starts up.

This only happens on the laptop, not the desktop.

We've cleaned cache, made sure things like Shockwave are current, run MalwareBytes, our anti-virus [Avast] and CCleaner.
Also defragged.
Looked on DSL reports, to see if the ISP is having issues.

Next step is to uninstall and reinstall both apps....any other ideas?

posted on Mar, 12 2017 @ 11:35 AM
link   
I haven't been able to use Opera in ages.

posted on Mar, 12 2017 @ 11:37 AM
link   
I use Opera Beta 44.0.2510.433 without any clear problems, except that some Facebook games are slower than they were.

I only notice load problems when other programs are working and Opera has little memory or CPU available, as it looks like Opera is too polite and gives priority to the other programs.

I don't use CCleaner but I use Avast.

posted on Mar, 12 2017 @ 11:38 AM
link   

originally posted by: kosmicjack
I haven't been able to use Opera in ages.

What version?

posted on Mar, 12 2017 @ 11:40 AM
link   
a reply to: DontTreadOnMe

My computer has been doing the same thing.
Since I don't have a lot of patience,instead of waiting for things to load...I just restart it.
Like yours,mine is fine at first...when I restart it,it goes back to running fast.

After doing all the things you mentioned...all I can do is keep restarting it and poking it with a stick.

Also,I use chrome and firefox.
edit on 12-3-2017 by DrumsRfun because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 12 2017 @ 11:40 AM
link   
a reply to: kosmicjack

Performance issues?

I know in all the years I've been surfing, browsers seem to wax and wane as to usability.
Otherwise we'd still all be using IE LOL

I'm puzzled as to why Opera works great on one computer...and all of a sudden like crap on the other.
Granted, the laptop bounces off the modem, but the signal shows as being good and strong. No other devices are competing ATM.

posted on Mar, 12 2017 @ 11:43 AM
link   
a reply to: ArMaP

Another thing that seems to be happening, looking at the Task Manager.
We see an Opera autoupdate.exe running at times...and we are wondering if this is hanging up the opening and closing of the browser.
We're running 43.0.2442.1144 (PGO)

posted on Mar, 12 2017 @ 12:05 PM
link   

Not sure. I can't get the old one off and I can't load a new one on.

posted on Mar, 12 2017 @ 12:06 PM
link   
Set Ccleaner so it erases everything, including stuff in the last twenty four hours. You have to uncheck the box saying only over 24 hours. It used to be seventy two hours but now it is 24. If you turn off a lot of the apps you never use in Windows, things go a lot faster.

posted on Mar, 12 2017 @ 12:07 PM
link   
Wouldn't be a heat issue, would it? I know I had the same problems with chrome and ccleaner on my laptop, opened it up, had an absolutely filthy heat sink and fan.......gave it a good clean and no more problems.

posted on Mar, 12 2017 @ 12:19 PM
link   
If you have a spinny drive i'd give it a good defrag as it can help as a lot of browsers like to cache stuff and thus all the preamble can take time.

posted on Mar, 12 2017 @ 12:32 PM
link   
Using Opera, that's your problem right there.

Other than that, if everything else is ok, well..

ccleaner is slow? it's always slow, if you have a million thing it detects.. same as spybot search & destroy, it takes ages by default, just looking.

I think opera is one of those browsers that just .. imo .. doesn't cut the mustard..

Just an opinion, and a jab at opera... have you tried turning it off and on again? *hangs up phone*

posted on Mar, 12 2017 @ 12:36 PM
link   
a reply to: Flatcoat

Did other apps work OK?
Recently did clean out the spaces for RAM and the battery....not sure what else should be opened on a laptop.

originally posted by: Maxatoria
If you have a spinny drive i'd give it a good defrag as it can help as a lot of browsers like to cache stuff and thus all the preamble can take time.

We defragged yesterday....did not help.

posted on Mar, 12 2017 @ 01:11 PM
link   

TBH Everything slowed down a bit, but the browser and ccleaner were all but unusable....the overheating seemed to affect them much more than anything else.

posted on Mar, 12 2017 @ 01:55 PM
link   

originally posted by: savemebarry
Using Opera, that's your problem right there.

I have been using Opera for several years (the new Chromium based version and the Presto based version before that) without any problems.

posted on Mar, 13 2017 @ 06:13 AM
link   
I use Opera CCleaner for android and it's also slow, think i might uninstall, use Du speed booster, Clean master they get rid of useless junk and speed up your device.

posted on Mar, 13 2017 @ 12:49 PM
link   
There was a memory leak with one of the more recent versions of Opera.
Supposedly fixed....I'm not so sure.
Still seems to be on 43.0.2442.1144

The laptop only has 4G of RAM.....the desktop has 8G....could be why one has issues, and the other not.

posted on Mar, 13 2017 @ 05:12 PM
link   

My computer has 4 GB of memory and no memory leaks from Opera, and I never close it or shutdown the computer.

posted on Mar, 14 2017 @ 12:38 PM
link   

hmmmmm....then I am confused.

top topics

join