It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Scott Pruitt Says No to CO2 and Social Justice at EPA

page: 4
<< 1  2  3    5  6  7 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 11 2017 @ 06:33 PM
link   

originally posted by: TiredofControlFreaks
a reply to: Phage

And I repeat -......what happened to California's permanent drought?

Hahaha... whoever said California had a permanent drought must be a real loser idiot. Could you tell us who claimed that?

posted on Mar, 11 2017 @ 06:38 PM
link   

originally posted by: Gothmog

originally posted by: Swills
a reply to: UKTruth

Good thing Trump put a lawyer in charge of the EPA because who would know more about science than a lawyer?

Trump continues to dumb down America with his ridiculous administration picks.

Thats ok, tge IPCC but as their "head" an Eastern Indian Railroad Engineer. No , not a degree in engineering but an actual engineer .

They have a new guy now, he is professor in the economics of climate change, energy and sustainable development

posted on Mar, 11 2017 @ 06:39 PM
link   
a reply to: rickymouse

How can anyone celebrate a complete shrug being given to even the possibility of human influence over the climate? Can we not agree that we are polluting the planet in multitude of ways all so a few rich men can get even richer?

ALL of us are being played, folks - Democrat, Republican environmentalist, conservative, free trade (?!) ...pshaw...played and played... go ahead, keep arguing and squabbling, that is exactly what the TPTB want.

The Environmemtal Protection Agency - www.epa.gov...
Mission Statement of the EPA: "The mission of EPA is to protect human health and the environment."
Ever since Citizens United ruled that corporations are people, the definition of people (American citizens), has been stretched.

Did someone say FRACKING? How about Oklahoma? Pruit was Oklahoma State Senator and Attorney General while fracking took over the economic engine of that state. Talk to someone who lives there.

www.usgs.gov...
"Wastewater Disposal Likely Induced February 2016 Magnitude 5.1 Oklahoma Earthquake"

earthquakes.ok.gov... "We know that Oklahoma experienced 623 magnitude 3+ earthquakes in 2016, 903 in 2015, 579 in 2014 and 109 in 2013."

Sad. Our grandkids are not going to understand how we could be so stupid.

posted on Mar, 11 2017 @ 06:48 PM
link   
a reply to: Grimpachi

phys.org...

The American Southwest has seen naturally induced dry spells throughout the past, but now human-induced global warming could push the region into a permanent drought in the coming decades, according to Lamont-Doherty scientist Richard Seager and others who have been studying the area’s climate.

EPA www.epa.gov...

Many areas in the West have experienced less rain over the past 50 years, as well as increases in the severity and length of droughts; this has been especially of concern in the Southwest.[1][3] In the western part of the United States, less total annual rainfall, less snowpack in the mountains, and earlier snowmelt mean that less water will likely be available during the summer months when demand is highest. This will make it more difficult for water managers to satisfy water demands throughout the course of the year.[2][5]

Govenor Jerry Brown

www.nytimes.com...

Despite winter rains that replenished reservoirs and eased dry conditions in parts of Northern California, Mr. Brown suggested that the drought may never entirely end, and that the state needed to adapt to life with less water. “Californians stepped up during this drought and saved more water than ever before,” Mr. Brown said in a statement. “But now we know that drought is becoming a regular occurrence and water conservation must be a part of our everyday life.”

posted on Mar, 11 2017 @ 06:51 PM
link   

originally posted by: Grimpachi

Hahaha... whoever said California had a permanent drought must be a real loser idiot. Could you tell us who claimed that?

It's the media.

Wired
Thanks El Niño, But California’s Drought Is Probably Forever

Wired
A Wet Year Won’t Beat California’s Never-Ending Drought

NewYork Times
California Braces for Unending Drought

And Governor Brown
"But now we know that drought is becoming a regular occurrence and water conservation must be a part of our everyday life."

posted on Mar, 11 2017 @ 06:53 PM
link   
a reply to: TiredofControlFreaks

a reply to: D8Tee

I didn't ask who said that it "could" become a permanent drought.

I want to know which idiot claimed it was permanent drought.
edit on 11-3-2017 by Grimpachi because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 11 2017 @ 06:59 PM
link   

Richard Seagar - look at my first link

ocp.ldeo.columbia.edu...

Also the EPA on their web site.

posted on Mar, 11 2017 @ 07:04 PM
link   

This is a study by Richard Seager

ocp.ldeo.columbia.edu...

This is the summary of the study that directly speaks to drought in south west US

Global average precipitation increases with global warming induced by rising greenhouse gases. This occurs because increased infrared radiation from the atmosphere to the surface has to be balanced by increased surface heat loss, which occurs primarily by increased evaporation. For the global average increased evaporation must be balanced by increased precipitation. However, regionally, precipitation can be reduced as a consequence of greenhouse climate change. This occurs because rising atmospheric humidity causes the atmospheric hydrological cycle to intensify, increasing water vapor transports and making wet areas wetter and dry areas drier. This mechanism has been discussed by Held and Soden (J. Climate 2006). Further a poleward expansion of the Hadley Cell and a poleward shift of the mid-latitude storm tracks expands the subtropical dry zones poleward. These processes cause the subtropics in general to dry and expand poleward as a consequence of global warming. Southwestern North America is one region projected to dry, beginning now (see An imminent transition to a more arid climate in southwestern North America). For the American West there is the additional question of whether rising greenhouse gases will induce an El Niño-like or La Niña-like response in the tropical Pacific. The former will mean increased precipitation and the latter decreased precipitation in addition to the drying induced by changes in the hydrological cycle and circulation responses as a response to overall warming. Currently climate models are all over the map in how the tropical Pacific Ocean responds to rising greenhouse gases. The climate modeling group at Lamont has argued that rising greenhouse gases will warm the western tropical Pacific Ocean by more than the eastern ocean because, in the west, the increased downward infrared radiation has to be balanced by increased evaporative heat loss but in the east, where there is active upwelling of cold ocean waters from below, it is partially balanced by an increase in the divergence of heat by ocean currents. As such, the east to west temperature gradient increases and a La Niña-like response in induced. This is the same argument for why, during Medieval times, increased solar irradiance and reduced volcanism could have caused a La Niña-like SST response, as seen in coral based SST reconstructions. If the Medieval period is any guide as to how the tropical Pacific Ocean and the global atmosphere circulation respond to positive radiative forcing then an induced La Niña could regionally intensify the general projected subtropical drying and the American West could be in for a future in which the climate is more arid than at any time since the advent of European settlement.

posted on Mar, 11 2017 @ 07:06 PM
link   

The CA coast is 840 miles north to south. A lot of terrain and mountains, plus a big fertile valley.

Southern CA has desert areas. Los Angeles water system is separate.

Yes, there are drought conditions in some areas of CA.

Its a BIG state. It's very diverse. You can't lump CA into one pot.

edit on 11-3-2017 by Annee because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 11 2017 @ 07:08 PM
link   

You mean the one that says

could push the region into a permanent drought in the coming decades

That doesn't say it is permanent and your link says it is persistent which I can understand.

If I only water my grass once a month it will die. If they only get a good rain once every few months vegetation will die. I lived in NM for a while and every once in a while we got some hellish storms, but that didn't make it to where crops could grow in those areas. Note NM does have some areas agriculture is doing well.

posted on Mar, 11 2017 @ 07:16 PM
link   

You mean the one that says

could push the region into a permanent drought in the coming decades

That doesn't say it is permanent and your link says it is persistent which I can understand.

If I only water my grass once a month it will die. If they only get a good rain once every few months vegetation will die. I lived in NM for a while and every once in a while we got some hellish storms, but that didn't make it to where crops could grow in those areas. Note NM does have some areas agriculture is doing well.

Right. The SW is desert, of course there are persistent drought conditions.

However through canal irrigation, built by the Army Corp Engineers - - - SW AZ supplies most of the winter vegetables.

posted on Mar, 11 2017 @ 07:28 PM
link   

originally posted by: Annee

The CA coast is 840 miles north to south. A lot of terrain and mountains, plus a big fertile valley.

And yet the global warming co2 crowd lumps the whole world into one pot.

posted on Mar, 11 2017 @ 07:38 PM
link   

originally posted by: xuenchen

False comparison.

California is delineated by man made lines, but the state itself contains many environments, each not dependent on the state itself.

The Earth is a complete body, but also containing many environments, yet all environments are dependent on the Earth as it functions as whole.

posted on Mar, 11 2017 @ 07:49 PM
link   
a reply to: D8Tee

It could alter the way energy flows through the earths crust.

posted on Mar, 11 2017 @ 07:51 PM
link   

originally posted by: Pyle

originally posted by: rickymouse
If the head of the EPA does not think that CO2 levels are the major cause of climate change, then we should listen to him. He does state that it does need more research but that it is not even close to conclusive. I believe we should not be wasting all of the resources we have and that we must make a moderate progression to lessening our impact on the environment. I do think unnatural chemistry and even concentrated natural chemistry is a problem that needs to be addressed. I also believe that doing too much fracking, something Obama seems to have rubber stamped, is not good for our environment and our changing weather patterns.

We have to get rid of polarization on these issues and meet a little above half way with environmental responsibility. We do not need to go crazy but we do need to start taking better care of this planet and upsetting the chemistry of everything by our actions. You are either with us or against us should not be allowed, everyone just needs to get more conscious about this and we NEED to start making things to last longer. Make death dating or planned obsolescence illegal and fine those who push this kind of thing. There is no reason why a furnace shouldn't last thirty years or a refrigerator should not last fifteen years or more. It is getting rediculous living in a consumer based society where sales numbers dictate what is good.

Wait why the hell would we trust a lawyer about climate science over scientists?

Because we are sheep?

posted on Mar, 11 2017 @ 07:52 PM
link   

Climate change is not the same as saying CA is in a permanent drought.

posted on Mar, 11 2017 @ 07:55 PM
link   
a reply to: rickymouse

It could alter the way energy flows through the earths crust.

O.K. so you are against fracking and North American energy independence because you think that the climate may be affected because it alters the way energy flows through the earths crust?
Do you have any proof of this?

posted on Mar, 11 2017 @ 07:58 PM
link   
a reply to: Liquesence

So does all of California

posted on Mar, 11 2017 @ 07:59 PM
link   

Climate change is not the same as saying CA is in a permanent drought.

Neither is Earth.

posted on Mar, 11 2017 @ 08:05 PM
link   

a reply to: Liquesence

So does all of California

As my previous reply mentioned, California is not a self-contained ecosystem/environment like the Earth.

False comparison.

top topics

<< 1  2  3    5  6  7 >>

join