It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Young Buck, A Pixies Road Show, and Other Concert Talk

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 11 2017 @ 11:35 AM
link   
Hi all, here wishing you a wonderful Sunday morning. I thought I'd make a thread to discuss shows, concerts, both upcoming and past.
A dear friend is in town for a nice long visit, and last night we scanned through the upcoming music to see what we could see. I live in Denver, and the music scene here is popping. We have one of the most beautiful venues in the world (Red Rocks) and also some little gritty bars which I love as well.

I've seen a lot of great shows, how about you?
As for rap, my favorite shows were GZA one of the aforementioned gritty bars.. Redman/Method was good.. Cormega was great.. Snoop was dope.. Andre Nickatina was really fun.. Common was righteous..loved Cunninglinguists..
The Roots came out with a full marching band and paraded through the crowd. Jill Scott was there that night, too..there's lots more but don't want to make you read my life story

I saw Ghostface two nights in a row and he performed the exact same set, banter and all.. that was funny and disappointing.

I saw AZ and he was terrible! He dropped the mic (accidentally) and tried to make it seem like he meant to by waving his hands back and forth and saying "I love it when you call me Big AZ" lol, lame. Also he invited Cormega up on stage and then just kept rapping while Mega looked kind of confused, just standing there. Didn't give Cormega the mic, nothing. Cormega ended up sitting down on a step and pulling out his phone. Ha ha AZ sucks. Except for one song Paradise:

As for other genres, I've seen many amazing artists. Too many to name. There is something about live music, a crowd, an atmospheric venue that can satisfy our beings at such a deep level. As we are but vibrations ourselves, certain audible vibrations must resonate with our spirit and material beings.

My friend and I bought tickets today to go see Young Buck at a gritty venue. I'm sure it will be great, can't wait!

We're also planning a mini road trip to follow the Pixies around next October and see several concerts in different cities.
BTW- the Pixies are still so good.

How about you, my ATS friends? Any upcoming shows you're excited about? Any best of/worst of past concert experiences you'd like to share? How does live music affect you? Also, please make sure you check out that Young Buck track. It is so so good.

edit on 11-3-2017 by zosimov because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 11 2017 @ 11:41 AM
link   
a reply to: zosimov

Hi zosi!

I love how you can go from young buck to the pixies

Great divers taste and you dont discriminate. Great qualities.

Personally I've never been to a concert. I almost went to a Justin Bieber one, but last minute I had to cancel. Let's just say the crowd was like 95 percent teeny boppers and I would've felt really out of place.

ETA: it's Sunday morning where you are? I think that's a typo :p
edit on 11-3-2017 by knowledgehunter0986 because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 11 2017 @ 11:45 AM
link   
a reply to: knowledgehunter0986

Oh crap, what day is it?? LOL, been having a really great time! Two great friends visiting and staying with me, took a bit of time off work, so who cares what day it is?

Hi knowledge, hope all is great with ya! You really should see a concert. Even if it is the Beebs

posted on Mar, 11 2017 @ 11:54 AM
link   

originally posted by: zosimov
a reply to: knowledgehunter0986

Oh crap, what day is it?? LOL, been having a really great time! Two great friends visiting and staying with me, took a bit of time off work, so who cares what day it is?

Agreed. When people ask what day it is, I tell them today. If they ask the time, day time.

Where are we, right here,

When is now, where is here?

OMG, who cares lets have a good time, right now.

Lets wait till dinner time for that and bed time for that. But in-between its all about right now, right here.

Party on Bro. Glad you're having a good time with you and yours, wherever you are.

(PS) If I could go back to any time it would be to the place they erected the first clock tower, kill the inventor and burn the damn thing to the ground.

posted on Mar, 11 2017 @ 11:58 AM
link   
a reply to: intrptr

Oh my, I just love this post! Still laughing over here.. party on yourself, in that great limitless out there!

posted on Mar, 11 2017 @ 12:00 PM
link   
Whoops, there I go again, sorry for the off topic.

Done my time in concerts back in the day when parking was free, tix cost 8-15 USD, and you could bring your own flavored beverages, coolers full and nobody cared what kind of smoke or flames were extinguished by inhaling.

Bill Grahams Days on the Green in the Oakland Coliseum Amphitheater, New Years all nighters in the now gone Winterland concert hall and the Brisbane Cow Palace, police riots and all.

Rock on...

posted on Mar, 11 2017 @ 12:09 PM
link   

Sounds like you did it right, my friend!
Not that you should stop now

posted on Mar, 11 2017 @ 12:17 PM
link   
Alright, since you're from the future I will participate..

Last concert was Al Di Meola. Pretty awesome for a bunch of old dudes lol.

Next few lined up.. Adrien Belew, Ween, Coheed..

I'm going to Charlotte for a festival... i am not a fan of festivals, but my good friend lives 5 minutes away.. Sound garden, A perfect circle, the cult, Opeth, Mastodon.. all in the same day should be pretty rad.

I too go to far too many shows.. been lucky to see some great acts, sometimes up close and personal ... I'm actually trying to make an attempt to see LESS shows this year..

I would love to catch a show at Red Rocks some day.

posted on Mar, 11 2017 @ 12:19 PM
link   

originally posted by: zosimov

Sounds like you did it right, my friend!
Not that you should stop now

Took its toll, I was so much younger then, I'm older than that now.

Sweet memories, what adventures.

posted on Mar, 11 2017 @ 12:26 PM
link   

originally posted by: SteamyJeans
Alright, since you're from the future I will participate..

Oh my gosh you guys are cracking me up over here! BTW: The future is indeed bright

Hope you do make it out to Red Rocks for a show! The sound/view/artists are phenominal.

posted on Mar, 11 2017 @ 12:55 PM
link   

Yep, live your life right and you'll have plenty to fuel your latter years..
I'm glad you did it right.

posted on Mar, 11 2017 @ 01:05 PM
link   
Great Thread!

Going to see The Flaming Lips tonight on Long Island. Couldn't be more excited! I heard it's more of an experience as opposed to just a music concert.

Saw the Pixies tooooo many times to count when they went on their reunion tour in the mid 2000's then again a few years ago.

2 shows that changed my perspective on modern performance- Radiohead MSG 2003 and Daft Punk Coachella 2006. Felt like I was being hypnotized the entire time.

Another great concert was Gorillaz at MSG after they released Plastic Beach. Damon Albarn behind an orchestra was really really something special.

No shows directly lined up in the near future but I'm spontaneous when I see a bands in town.

posted on Mar, 11 2017 @ 01:15 PM
link   
a reply to: kngfc

Looks like you enjoy some real great music there! All incredible bands you mentioned. I agree that certain sets can have something of a hypnotic effect.. there's just all kinds of atmopheres that can be had when a band and the crowd/place etc come together just right.

Thanks for the comment!

posted on Mar, 11 2017 @ 01:28 PM
link   
Im hear to 2nd the Radiohead comment. Saw them in 07 and 2011(? Maybe 10)... both easily the up there with best shows I have ever seen.

Would love to catch the Gorillaz.

Have fun at flaming lips tonight . Never been but hear great things... they will be in Detroit soon I am still on the fence..

a reply to: kngfc

posted on Mar, 11 2017 @ 01:42 PM
link   
Seen/worked over 500+ shows...Some of my favorites (some not even genres that I like) were:
Van Halen's reunion tour
Snoop Dogg
Slipknot
Keith Urban (I shot the confetti cannon and this lady wouldn't move when warned...So she got blasted...Biggest mess I've ever made I didn't have to clean up!
Billy F#&kin Idol
Billy Joel
Trans Siberian Orchestra
Nine Inch Nails
Bruce Springsteen
The Eagles (guitar guy tours with over 100 guitars each tuned for specific songs)
Many many electronic music producers...Too many to name (this is what I pay to see usually)
Last big one I attended was Freak Night in Tacoma...That was awesome and I got to see Armin van Burren there and man he still kills it.

Sooo many shows I really couldn't name all the good ones...But that is the perk of working in the industry. Now with my current company there is a very likely prospect I will be going on tours this summer as a lighting technician.

posted on Mar, 11 2017 @ 02:12 PM
link   
If you don't mind me asking, what do you do (other than light tech) and how did you fall into it?

a reply to: RickyD

posted on Mar, 11 2017 @ 02:36 PM
link   
a reply to: SteamyJeans

I started off as a stagehand for a company that had contracts to most of the major venues in Virginia...I lucked into the gig as a friend of mine was unable to work a call he was booked on and asked if I would fill in. Once I did the initial paperwork at that first gig I would get called in from time to time. That time to time started becoming more frequent and conflicted with my current job...So I quit my job to continue working gigs. After about 6 months I was invited to a union meeting (local 285). A few weeks later I was asked if I would like to join...Which I did. That's around the time between the company I worked shows for and the union work picked up to the point of full time. I did that for around 3 years but then stopped when I moved to New Mexico. I still did that type of work just not paid...We had a lot of weekend raves out there and small festivals thrown by friends which I helped. A few years later I moved to Florida and eventually talked my folks into cosigning my loans to go to Fullsail University which I attained a bachelors in live show production. Straight out of school I went to work for LMG in the shop mostly but I do go out and work on site some. Now 2 years later I have earned the respect to be considered for show tech with them. I do freelance gigs from time to time as a lighting technician too...Which pays way better than my hourly rate but I don't get enough to quit working at LMG though. At this point in my career having the big company safety net is more preferable however I am looking into starting my own LLC now.

That's basically how it went. It's not the type of job/career you find advertised for...Usually you either have to do the research and find these production companies yourself...Some do not even have a place to submit a resume you just email the contact on the website and ask where to send a resume...They do respond in my experience.

Something to remember about this industry...It usually all about who you know and not always what you know. Also many times guys are picked because they don't annoy/get along with the crew rather than how much you know. Still knowing more is usually beneficial it's just not the only thing looked at.

posted on Mar, 11 2017 @ 02:36 PM
link   
a reply to: RickyD

Fun! What an experience

I saw Rezner at Red Rocks and it was incredible-- puts on a great show, and is an artist visually and audibly.

Keep living the good life man!

posted on Mar, 11 2017 @ 02:45 PM
link   
a reply to: SteamyJeans

I basically do anything lighting...But I can also handle most audio related tasks (just not as well as someone who specializes in it) I also know enough to be dangerous in video and LED technology too. In the shop I pull orders and maintain gear. On show site I do the setup, sometimes working during the show as well...Operating gear or being on call in case something happens, then I read down and pack up the show.

Forgot to answer that part.
edit on 11-3-2017 by RickyD because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 11 2017 @ 02:54 PM
link   

Yea he really is lol. I think 2 of the cooler bands I dealt with on a personal level were slipknot and Billy idol. Slipknot came out to the loading dock before the show, where all us stagehands were getting ready to setup, and put on hard hats with us and ran around headbutting people in full costume...They were very laid back with their came unlike some others...Like Dave Matthews...He is a douch. We had Billy idols drummer pushing gear during load out with us...Super drunk in flip-flops like he was one of the guys...That was pretty cool too. In my experience famous people are way cooler and enjoy when someone doesn't treat them as if they are famous. Most of the celebrity types I've spoken with I had no clue who they were until after the conversation.

Oh... Totally forgot to mention Kid Rock...Seen him 3 times now and he is an amazing artist and pretty damn intelligent too. During the interlude where one would usually go around introducing the band members he, instead, went around and played every instrument on stage...Including scratching like a pro on the turntables. Such talent...Even if I'm not into his music.

top topics

<<   2 >>

join