It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Suppose you were immortal... What do you do with eternity?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Feb, 1 2005 @ 06:46 AM
link   
I had an interesting conversation earlier this evening. I'm sure almost everyone has had this conversation or at least the thought... what would you spend your eternity on if you were immortal?
First answer, obviously enough, is make sure you won't have to spend the rest of forever working the 9 to 5. So you have to find a way into a fun job that pays well, right?

I'd be a hoaxer. I'd dream up insane scenarios for current events, a few years later I'd plant fake evidence, and then in like 200 years I'd come out with this radical new theory and then just "stumble onto" the evidence I'd planted.
For example, after Michael Jackson died I'd have his body secretly exumed and would place the cadaver of a small boy in the coffin with him then rebury him. In 50 years or so I'd claim that somebody had told me about this on their deathbed. We'd dig him up and find that there was a small boy burried with Jackson, and people would throw money at me to come on the news and drag Jacko through the mud for the entertainment of a whole new generation.

I'd also collect really old stuff. In 500 years I'd be running around in suits that are retro today.... like 1930s high class stuff complete with hat, driving late 60s muscle cars, and threatening people with an ancient crossbow.

posted on Feb, 1 2005 @ 08:37 AM
link   
Well, the very first thing I would do is invest in ultra safe, long term funds. Buy everything in the world that increases in value over time. After all, you got plenty of time, may as well use time to become rich. Savings bonds that double in value guaranteed at maturity would be a great place to invest. I think its like 12 years or so. Eventually, you would easily be the richest man in the world.

I would start slow as far as experiences are concerned. You don’t want to do all the exciting stuff right away. I think I would start by reading the entire library of congress. Of course, books would be added faster than you could complete them, so you would have to set a “end” point. Then maybe every few generations do it again with the “new” stuff. Not only would this be a great way to spend time, it would enhance your intelligence and aptitude. Also by doing this first, the knowledge may effect any experiences and desires on going. You may find new interests that you didn’t know about before to spend your time!!

I would visit every country and city in the world!!! Except Newark NJ and Canada of course. Maybe if I got EXTREMLY BORED I would go to Newark

But then eventually I would get to about everything. Dive every ocean, ski every slope, collect everything to collect, see every movie, etc. I suspect after time you would only get a kick out of the most extreme things.

The sad part is relationships. You would have to have mostly short term involvement. I think sometimes that could be fun as heck, but over time I think it would become daunting. Creating a family would be impossible. You would also need to detach yourself from your existing family. Imagine outliving your kids!!!

You would also need to figure out a way to “recreate” yourself from time to time while retaining your wealth. The government simply couldn’t know that you never die. I suspect you would need to move a lot as well.

posted on Feb, 1 2005 @ 02:44 PM
link   
I would commit a crime where the judge gives you a joke sentence, like 250 years, and then I would freak everyone out by living that long and eventually getting out of prison. Then I guess I would form a band or something and tour forever.

posted on Feb, 1 2005 @ 09:00 PM
link   
Recreating yourself wouldn't be too hard. If I was wealthy and wanted a new identity I'd seek out the terminally ill and arrange to have them privately cared for and well cared for and such in exchange for their agreement not to be formally hospitalized. They would never legally die, so you could carry on their identity for several decades until your failure to age became a problem.

I think I'd want to carry out some experiments too. Since I'd have so much time on my hands, I'd try to see how far I could evolve a species by selective breeding, training, etc etc. Maybe I could develop a super-intelligent line of pet monkies or dogs to keep me company.

[edit on 1-2-2005 by The Vagabond]

posted on Feb, 1 2005 @ 09:31 PM
link   
If you mean complete immortality as in not having to eat to sustain oneself, and cannot die. I would probly first need money. I would probly go someplace like the french quarter in new orleans or other shady place and start betting people that they couldn't kill me with thier gun, or knife. Probly do something like have a safty deposit box with the money in it at a bank. I have key or code that opens it before noon, and the other has a differant key or code to open it after noon.

After I get a few hundred thousand I would invest it in some high yield long term funds with maybe a 12-18% interest. within 20 years I would be a millionaire and could live off the interest. while I was waiting I would travel the world.

Then I would start investing my money in long term projects, like space colonization asteroid mining, etc. Become a sort of Bill gates for space expansion, only a lot less concerned about profit and more on quality (really hate to see peoples space ships crashing every day)

As far as relationships, I probly pic up a hot supermodel girl every year and give he a nice going away present afterwards

but i would allways make sure to tithe 10%

posted on Feb, 1 2005 @ 09:59 PM
link   
Ah, such an interesting question and oddly enough one I've pondered many a time while sitting around high as a kite with my friends. I actually think I would do exactly what I'm doing now just on a much different scale and plan. Reading and learning would be my only goals. Read all the interesting books I wont have time for in this mortal life, learn all the different languages, arts, etc. But my main goal would be to work towards some momentus work of literature or a revolutionary computer-related project that would leave my name on the tongues of scholars for millenia...then figure out how to terminate my own existance and move on to whatever is next on the cosmic schedule; after all all proper legacies are paired with the death of thier proprietor.

Of course then theres the idea of a balanced immortality such as Vampires, where you get life etrnal in exchange for giving up certain things like food and daylight. Oddly enough either balanced or unbalanced immortality would be just fine to me, maybe I should put down the Anne Rice books.

posted on Feb, 2 2005 @ 12:17 AM
link   
I'd spend some considerable time seeing if I could have any kids who carried the same trait.....breed it about 6 generations out, and then allow inbreeding, lol...

top topics

join