It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The American Health Care Act replaces the ACA-Obamacare.

page: 2
<< 1    3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 11 2017 @ 02:00 AM
link   

originally posted by: burdman30ott6
As someone who wanted the ACA repealed and had zero interest in seeing it replaced, reissued, or left in place in any manner, I'm not happy with this.

I'm not happy with this 3-Bill package. How can you "score" the cost of an ObamaCare replacement, when only the 1st of 3 bills is even written? Yet, the AHCA is being scored by the CBO, as we speak. I understand WHY they had to use this method, but not thrilled about it.

What happens if Part-1 is signed by the President..is implemented.. and then the country faces some kind of emergency/catastrophe/war, that takes all of Congress's time for months on end? If Part-2 is not implemented soon after the first part, will it screw everyone up who has individual health insurance? (Part 2 is meant remove ObamaCare restrictions on Free-Market health plans.)

posted on Mar, 11 2017 @ 03:18 AM
link   

originally posted by: Ameilia
a reply to: carewemust

I'm creeped out by the 30% "fee" on top of the premium due for those that haven't had insurance.

Yup, they've re-packaged the hated "mandate" as an "incentive" to throw people off the scent.

Estimates are that Trumpcare will result in about 20 million Americans losing medical coverage as well, so we've still got a long way to go before we see productive healthcare reform.

posted on Mar, 11 2017 @ 04:28 AM
link   
Um. Not yet.

The Senate must approve it too.

Or am I missing something?

posted on Mar, 11 2017 @ 06:57 AM
link   

It removes the mandate and keeps the pre-existing clause. I care little about the rest to be honest. I'm young and healthy, I don't need medical insurance. One less tax for me. If you are sick, I'm sorry, I really am, but it's not my responsibility to pay YOUR medical bills.

posted on Mar, 11 2017 @ 07:20 AM
link   
lets see how fast trump speed is when the CBO gives it a grade

don't forget, if it's a bad grade, its obama's fault, it its a good grade trump is the best!

posted on Mar, 11 2017 @ 08:05 AM
link   

originally posted by: carewemust
a reply to: 727Sky

That was a wonderful post, 727Sky. My condolences on the loss of your dear wife. I know that was tough, but you seem to be resilient and forward-thinking. You should give yourself a pat on the back for having the strength and intelligence to keep moving forward.

In the country where you're living, I bet the Doctors and Hospital Administrators don't live in gated communities, drive $80,000 Mercedes, and vacation at $1,000 @ night resorts. A few miles from my house is an upscale Chicago suburb, where I estimate, 3 of every 4 residents are in the medical field, and live that opulent lifestyle.

Thank you... When she died it almost killed me honestly

Much of the same is here. Gated communities and usually a BMW or Mercedes driven to work daily with a VAT tax that really makes them expensive to purchase.. But there is no income tax

Most of the Doctors I knew in the states worked their butts off for what they made... It is the same here.... only you can go and have a wonderful high class meal for 6 and not spend 150usd and that includes wine. Last time I did that in the states it was 1400usd which all six of us split...but still ..... Even Popacitos (2 years ago) had a fish meal for over 33usd and I would not consider that a high class place. The only reason I bring this up is the cost of living is much cheaper and the quality of life in many cases is on par or better except for the crazy drivers and some of the roads..

A golfing friend of mine drove his one year old pickup off into a huge ditch. It knocked the front end of his Toyota Highlander off and even damaged the radiator. It cost him less than 600usa to replace the whole front end .. I had some brush scratches on one quarter panel side of a car.. I got it repainted for for 45usd and it was a first class job.

Now all I am trying to say is there are simple and better ways of doing things besides getting some government program to run it into the ground..behind schedule, over cost, and heavily laden with bureaucratic BS..

Very few if any government program could survive in the real world based on cost effectiveness..In my humble opinion.... so why keep trying the same thing over and over with the same screwed up results. Einstein had something to say about that I do believe.

posted on Mar, 11 2017 @ 08:06 AM
link   

originally posted by: burdman30ott6
As someone who wanted the ACA repealed and had zero interest in seeing it replaced, reissued, or left in place in any manner, I'm not happy with this.

I said to many when Obamacare came out, that it is not going away since it was already paid for by lobbyists and noone believed me. It has nothing to do with Obama but everything to do with bribery by the Pharma and Insurance Industry.

When you are in an industry that donates the most to politicians, the paid for politicians are going to be working for them and not for the average American.

Democrats or Republicans, it does not matter and is a smoke screen
What matters is this $$$$

www.opensecrets.org...

Top Lobbying Industries

Pharmaceuticals/Health Products $3,146,090,212
Insurance $2,190,651,832

posted on Mar, 11 2017 @ 08:13 AM
link   

originally posted by: 727Sky

As far as I am concerned anything the government has a hand in will cost the citizens double or triple the cost it would if they just let the market take care of itself..

I'll never understand this line of thinking.

The Government did not go into the insurance industry or the Pharma Industry and start mucking things up, the Pharma and Insurance Industry went to them to rig the markets to their benefit.

Many of the same industries $$sponsor$$ political candidates to go into politics to work for them, hence the revolving door.
I look at Washington DC and what do I see? Former Heads of Corporations and Banks working for their previous companies.

The direction of meddling is not government messing with the private sector but the private sector messing with the government.

When Fast Food Companies lobby to be allowed to use Food Stamps, that is not the government messing with the fast food industry, that is the fast food industry going to the government

www.opensecrets.org...

Top Lobbying Industries

Pharmaceuticals/Health Products $3,146,090,212
Insurance $2,190,651,832

The solution is to get the private sector business out of our government, not the other way around

posted on Mar, 11 2017 @ 08:13 AM
link   

Aetna gets 48% of it's revenue from the Government's MEDICAID and MEDICARE programs

See, big government is good for business. Once the republicans eviscerate it our economy will be hurting.

posted on Mar, 11 2017 @ 08:14 AM
link   
a reply to: 727Sky

I live in a poor third world country where at least 95% of the residents do not have medical insurance. You can walk into a pharmacy and talk to a pharmacist and tell them what kind of medical problems your are having and buy the pills direct at probably 1/10th the cost of stateside. A scheduled doctor's appoint at a pay as you go hospital can cost as little as ten bucks.. A two night stay (three days) in a pay as you go hospital for a private room cost me 500usd and that also consisted of many test (possible mosquito born type illness) to include a cat scan.... I had gotten food poisoning and was given some little white pills that had me wanting to play golf the next day..

I knew I had left something out.... That charge was also for an ambulance ride to the hospital..

posted on Mar, 11 2017 @ 08:53 AM
link   
a reply to: jacobe001

I'll never understand this line of thinking.

Simple line of thinking really... You are the government and want a product I make. You want so many delivered on such and such date but you have all kinds of rules who can make the product and where and who I can buy the parts for said product from.. OHSA and EPA will be by to green light my operation and no I have not had any EEOC complaints..... if I will just do a few minor things such as be sure my workforce is 30% minorities and women..

The price every time you open your mouth for my product goes up not to mention the people I have to hire just to keep up with your governmental demands. By the time our little pow wow is finished the product that cost me less than a dollar to manufacture now has a price tag of 500usd because you are the government and money flows from your hands. Maybe that is a little high because you are a nice guy and since there were no overt threats I will give each product to you for 75usd like an ash tray for an arm rest of an airliner as long as you order one million just in case there is a rainy day. People dream about government contracts... Without them the military complex would be S.O.L.

Can't blame the insurance companies for getting every last dime they can... Nor Lockheed, Northrup, and many others... As long as someone is stupid enough to pay then why change stuff.

Trump opened his mouth and dropped the price of the F-35 which was over priced and delayed for glitches that have still not all been worked out.. Even though they drug their feet until they knew a firestorm was coming so now things have gotten better as aircraft that supposedly work are finally being delivered.

The remedy is simple, quit paying them and allowing them in collusion with big farma and the hospitals to rip everyone off.. The insurance companies pay the amount of debt demanded during an accident or for a hospital stay. If they are good they get the total bill reduced because they also know many of the charges are outlandish.

Any kind of big government program becomes like a shark feeding frenzy for those with lobbyist and contacts while the final congressional bill ends up being written by the very lobbyist who want and need a certain outcome... Unless it is a no bid contract ...those go to the crony capitalist... IMO..... Look at the software to run Obama care that didn't work and cost right at one billion dollars paid to school buds.. who didn't know what to heck they were doing...

You say you work for the government and maybe your section does not operate that way... If so good for you..
edit on 727thk17 by 727Sky because: ..

posted on Mar, 11 2017 @ 10:39 AM
link   

originally posted by: Vector99

It removes the mandate and keeps the pre-existing clause. I care little about the rest to be honest. I'm young and healthy, I don't need medical insurance. One less tax for me. If you are sick, I'm sorry, I really am, but it's not my responsibility to pay YOUR medical bills.

No, it doesn't remove the "mandate". Trumpcare repackages the mandate and calls it an "incentive". Call it whatever you want, it's still a financial penalty for not maintaining coverage.

As for the rest, that type of thinking can make you the target of your own flawed mentality.

When I was younger, I had a friend who was 2 weeks away from his health insurance kicking in. He didn't care. He was 19, "young and healthy", and wanted to join some friends on a vacation canoeing down in Kentucky.

While hiking on that trip he ended up slipping on a trail, and falling off a 35 foot high "cliff" down to the rocky riverfront.

Now he has serious brain damage, and is 7 figures deep in medical debt. Who do you think is paying for his "young and healthy" medical bills?

You may not believe something could ever happen to you, but "young and healthy" doesn't mean squat. There's a real world out there where [snip] happens.

Trumpcare and Obamacare both favor corporate interests over the health and well being of American citizens. We're still in need of REAL healthcare reform.
edit on 3/11/17 by redmage because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 11 2017 @ 11:07 AM
link   
Trumpcare is garbage on so many levels. The fact that the GOP is already out in front trashing the CBO numbers that haven't come out yet should tell you exactly how bad they expect the analysis to be.

It took Obama's staff a long time to come up with Obamacare. Although it's not perfect, they had something that would reduce the national deficit and expand insurance to millions of Americans. This garbage was slapped together over night...which once again shows that the GOP had absolutely nothing and did nothing to plan over the last several years while they were denouncing Obamacare. Useless!

Trumpcare is a heaping pile of dung that will greatly increase the national deficit, put hospitals out of business, and worst of all, cut out millions of Americans who need coverage.

Again, you have to remember, Obamacare helps the people that are hurting the most in the poor red states. There will be hell to pay if many of these people are left in the cold to die should Trumpcare pass.

I will be surprised if this makes it past senate. If it does, the republican congress is done. Many are already going to be voted out come 2018, it will be a greater blood bath if this thing goes through.

edit on 11-3-2017 by SeekingAlpha because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 12 2017 @ 12:17 AM
link   
March 11, 2017

It's "interesting" that Rand Paul is so against including subsidies/tax-credits in the American Health Care Act, to help citizens better afford their health insurance premiums. Look at his history of proposals and positions...

""Except that Paul, Amash and company aren’t campaigning to repeal Medicare, which provides hundreds of billions of dollars annually to subsidize health insurance for wealthy Americans, such as Warren Buffett, who are older than 65.

Indeed, in 2012, Paul introduced a bill that sought to offer seniors generously subsidized private coverage, with richer benefits and lower premiums than Medicare. Like Obamacare, Paul’s program would require insurers to charge seniors the same premiums regardless of health status or preexisting conditions and cap total out-of-pocket costs. Paul, apparently, is fine with Obamacare Lite proposals if they benefit older people who vote for him.

Furthermore, Paul and those who agree with him don’t want to curb the $400 billion annual federal subsidy for employer-based coverage, which disproportionately benefits high earners. Indeed, Paul has been outspoken about preserving that subsidy.""

Full Article: www.washingtonpost.com... _term=.00f767126c1b

Even though insurance premiums will be lower, after the ObamaCare repeal/replace law is implemented, middle income Americans will still need assistance with paying those premiums.

-cwm

posted on Mar, 12 2017 @ 03:43 AM
link   
a reply to: SeekingAlpha

Really, if we are going to insist on health care being part of the free market then Obamacare is the way to go. Just repeal the mandate. Chumpcare is being slammed on all fronts, it's time for the administration and Paul Ryan to open their ears. No one is buying their "this is our only shot to repeal 'the disaster' Obamacare!".

posted on Mar, 12 2017 @ 03:50 AM
link   
a reply to: redmage

Now he has serious brain damage, and is 7 figures deep in medical debt. Who do you think is paying for his "young and healthy" medical bills? 

That's sad about your friend but to answer the question because a lot of people don't realize... tax payers foot those unpaid medical bills. So people can cry all they like about not paying for others health insurance... but they're going to pay one way or another. Why not the front end rather than the rear?

Healthier population or more in debt and sicker population?

Should be an easy choice.

posted on Mar, 12 2017 @ 03:50 AM
link   
a reply to: SeekingAlpha

It took Obama's staff a long time to come up with Obamacare. Although it's not perfect, they had something that would reduce the national deficit and expand insurance to millions of Americans.

Obamacare was supposed to reduce the national deficit? Are you serious?

posted on Mar, 12 2017 @ 04:02 AM
link   
a reply to: ColdWisdom

It did.

posted on Mar, 12 2017 @ 04:08 AM
link   
a reply to: Kali74

Ok.

But what good is bringing down the annual deficits if the national debt becomes nearly doubled?

posted on Mar, 12 2017 @ 04:49 AM
link   
a reply to: ColdWisdom

The reason the national debt soared is because Obama put the wars on the books.

<< 1    3  4 >>

join