It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Stephen Hawking: Greed and Stupidity Will End Humanity Earlier than Expected

page: 3
<< 1  2    4 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 10 2017 @ 11:13 PM
link   

originally posted by: Mictain
a reply to: Gryphon66

I think the Earth is a living creature that will in time turn on us. It will send out a sort of anti-bodies to disinfect itself from the cause of it's illness and that is us.

I think we are beginning to see this.

Essentially, then, humans are a parasite that the Earth, as an organism, will eventually fight against.

Valid metaphor, especially considering our seemingly willful neglect of the planet, in many ways. Add to that that the current head of the EPA doesn't believe CO2 as a major contributor to climate change is one nail in that coffin.

posted on Mar, 10 2017 @ 11:14 PM
link   
a reply to: Willtell

So do your part.

Be the change you want to see in the world.

Beat the rush to what you are so convinced is inevitable anyway.

posted on Mar, 10 2017 @ 11:23 PM
link   
The same hypocrites whining about greedy westerners fully support relocating tens of millions of people from the third world, where they had a tiny carbon footprint, into the developed nations, giving them homes, appliances and cars.

Europeans and American were convinced in the eighties to lower their birthrate for the environment. We did. And now the globalists are moving in millions of third worlders who breed like rabbits and consume all they can.
edit on 10-3-2017 by Deny Arrogance because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 10 2017 @ 11:28 PM
link   

originally posted by: DickBrisket
a reply to: Mictain

I foresee a horrible Battery Fire in his future. Likely to be drool activated... So sad.

Is it really sad to you? I don't think so. Otherwise you wouldn't be so "cavalier" about it.

posted on Mar, 10 2017 @ 11:43 PM
link   

Logic will not be our downfall, nor will climate change. Man's stupidity will be, though.
Climate change is a farce. AI is very real. I only hope the real God won't let it escalate beyond what it is today.
Has anyone but me noticed how the jump in technology occurred right after 1947? Can anyone name a significant occurrence that happened in 1947?
I believe it wasn't but a few months afterwards that the US had it's first "super computer". Of course, it took up a whole room then. ( I homeschool, so this fact was in a history book I had).
Anyhoo, go from 1947 to today. Wow. Now, everyone is hooked on a pocket sized device that is able to call others AND do a myriad of other things.
Huh....interesting, don't ya think? Wonder how we garnered all that technology so quickly? That's some serious leaps and bounds in the area of technology.
Richard Dawkins is a man with incredible intellect, who's basically pissed off at the cards he was dealt. Like I said in another post on here. Trade places with the man for a week, then see how cavalier your responses would be to others.

posted on Mar, 10 2017 @ 11:46 PM
link   
For over a decade I felt the end was inevitable for humanity on this planet, but not so much now. A "perhaps" rather then a "definitely".

Look to Japan, something is very quietly developing there. Perhaps in four to five years it will emerge complete. If humanity takes an interest in Japan's inner nature and feels what is growing there . . .

posted on Mar, 10 2017 @ 11:50 PM
link   

No one has quite swallowed the fact that Earth is a living entity just like you--and a whole lot older
I mean you all sound good with the proper sentence structuring and pontifications academia has taught you but you are still very selfish self centered and fear driven. I have hypocritical tendencies like the guy in the wheel chair---and you-and you and you and you---
edit on 10-3-2017 by superluminal11 because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 11 2017 @ 12:32 AM
link   
In relation to that,

www.theguardian.com...

posted on Mar, 11 2017 @ 12:51 AM
link   
Hawking is a brilliant man ...

However ...

Greed, stupidity, jealousy, selfishness are part of our DNA and we survived thousands of years with those handicaps.

posted on Mar, 11 2017 @ 06:58 AM
link   
a reply to: WUNK22

That idea is from a mark Wahlberg movie

posted on Mar, 11 2017 @ 07:10 AM
link   

One of the major problems that will end us prematurely, is global warming.

Ignorance in its truest form.

posted on Mar, 11 2017 @ 08:30 AM
link   
oh ffs...

there are people here who have a problem with Stephen Hawking? Really??

How can anyone hate Hawking?
good gawd this place is going downhill so fast....

posted on Mar, 11 2017 @ 09:10 AM
link   
a reply to: Gryphon66

With the massive leaps we have come in the field of quantum physics we will soon be the ones controlling the planet, not the planet controlling us.
We are on the verge of finding out exactly how atoms and gravity works. Down to the smaller bits of energy.

posted on Mar, 11 2017 @ 09:12 AM
link   

originally posted by: BuzzyWigs
oh ffs...

there are people here who have a problem with Stephen Hawking? Really??

How can anyone hate Hawking?
good gawd this place is going downhill so fast....

I don't have an issue with him.
But I do have an issue of his using his status and people taking his words as if he is a demigod.
He's a theoretical physicist , it's his job to think of all sorts of extraordinary claims and try to back them up with using math and scientific data, thing is, he comes up with a lot of 'theories' and publishes them. The man has nothing but time to do so.
He flip flops theories all the time.

posted on Mar, 11 2017 @ 09:31 AM
link   
a reply to: strongfp

I think he is a genius, and we would all do well to listen to him.
Intelligent people flip-flop their thinking without feeling bad about it. The more one learns, the better one can tweak their understanding of the world.

There is NOTHING WRONG with switching opinions.

posted on Mar, 11 2017 @ 10:19 AM
link   
a reply to: Whatsthisthen

Very interesting. Please elaborate.

posted on Mar, 11 2017 @ 10:21 AM
link   
a reply to: strongfp

Careful there... Pride goeth before a fall and all that.

posted on Mar, 11 2017 @ 10:33 AM
link   

Hawking is but another scapegoat for the elite. Everything he says now is like water.

posted on Mar, 11 2017 @ 02:42 PM
link   

originally posted by: IcyPatriot
Hawking is a brilliant man ...

However ...

Greed, stupidity, jealousy, selfishness are part of our DNA and we survived thousands of years with those handicaps.

The one thing that kept us from annihilating ourselves so far was the fact that our population was hovering around 2 billion until the 1950's. That meant that no matter how greedy we were, mother earth always had more in reserve. And that no matter how stupid we were (until the invention of the nuclear bomb that is) there would always be some isolated pocket of humans unaffected by war.

The above graph should terrify everyone that sees it. We are talking a quadrupling of the population in a century. It is why that we are already seeing wars, mass migration and cultural invasions. And the worst part of all, is that it is the developing nations who usually have terrible standards of education often combined with that most nasty of religions (Islam) that are driving this growth.

Post WW2 technological development combined with exponential population growth is a ticking time bomb.
edit on 11-3-2017 by markosity1973 because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 11 2017 @ 04:39 PM
link   
a reply to: Matrixsurvivor

Roswell... 1947

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2    4 >>

join