It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Stephen Hawking: Greed and Stupidity Will End Humanity Earlier than Expected

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 10 2017 @ 07:06 PM
link   
Stephen Hawking: Greed and Stupidity Will End Humanity Earlier than Expected

One of the major problems that will end us prematurely, is global warming. Call it willful ignorance or plain stupidity but the more we continue to ignore the effect that humans are having on the climate, the faster our extinction comes.

The one thing driving this ignorance about our climate is greed for the planet's resources.

AI and logic will also be our downfall. An intelligence full of logic will come to realize that humans are parasitic and in order for this world to survive, they must be eliminated.

I feel we are living in our last days, does anyone else?

posted on Mar, 10 2017 @ 07:11 PM
link   
a reply to: Mictain

There's a saying that it won't be long before mother nature decides to bomb humanity back to stone age.

posted on Mar, 10 2017 @ 07:17 PM
link   
"" Earlier than Expected ""

When was he "expecting" humanity to end before this major shift in "thinking" ?

posted on Mar, 10 2017 @ 07:21 PM
link   
No, I don't think we will go extinct because of stupidity or greed (or global warming) but I do BELIEVE that the planetary ecosystem has safeguards that have evolved alongside all species. If we become more of a toxic influence than a productive one, I think we will see a "reaction" from that ecosystem to correct the balance.

I think the sustainable level of population and technology is probably somewhere around the world at the time of the Roman Empire with the addition of exchanges included North and South America with Europe, Asia and Africa and maybe steam technology ... but i don't think, unless something changes radically for humanity, we will "make it to the stars."

But who can say. We've lived through bottlenecks before and we are a wily bunch of monkeys.

Perhaps we will learn to use solar or geothermal as the basis of a new technology.

But no ... I don't think we're going away completely barring some planetary-level catastrophe.
edit on 10-3-2017 by Gryphon66 because: Noted

posted on Mar, 10 2017 @ 07:23 PM
link   
A world that gives power to people like Trump, and the North Korean lunatic...

As well, sit by and watch genocides repeatedly and do nothing...

Won’t do a thing about global warming because the gas and oil powers in America elect a dunce like Trump...

…Probably doesn’t have long to go

+1 more 
posted on Mar, 10 2017 @ 07:25 PM
link   
Stephen Hawking might do better to stick to mathematics and cosmology. His hand wringing is getting a bit tedious. Aliens are going to get us. Artificial Intelligence is going to get us. Global warming is going to get us. It's one thing after another with him. I'm optimistic that humanity is on the verge of a tremendous renaissance that will increase the standard of living across the board and usher in a scientific and technological revolution like nothing we've seen before. Wallow in pessimism if you want but the Eeyores of the world will not prevail. I pity them because they must be very unhappy campers.

posted on Mar, 10 2017 @ 07:26 PM
link   
a reply to: Gryphon66

I think the Earth is a living creature that will in time turn on us. It will send out a sort of anti-bodies to disinfect itself from the cause of it's illness and that is us.

I think we are beginning to see this.

posted on Mar, 10 2017 @ 07:28 PM
link   
a reply to: schuyler

Can you share some of these qualities that you feel will lead us into the renaissance you've described?

posted on Mar, 10 2017 @ 07:28 PM
link   
I realize that nobody wants to hear it, but humanity is very near the top of the bell curve when it comes to sustainable population numbers.

Even if starvation or climate change doesn't kill us, replacing ourselves with AI will. When you've got a rapidly growing populace, you need jobs for everyone to keep them busy, engaged and able to support themselves. Robots and AI taking jobs will see poverty rise and then discontent will grow until war breaks out.

And then there is the very real threat that AI will simply out learn and out pace us, then decide to go rogue.
edit on 10-3-2017 by markosity1973 because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 10 2017 @ 07:30 PM
link   

originally posted by: Mictain

I think the Earth is a living creature that will in time turn on us. It will send out a sort of anti-bodies to disinfect itself from the cause of it's illness and that is us.

Hmmm. I suppose that could work as a metaphor ... but, how does that explain that humans have evolved as we have with the technologies that we have created ... did the World Being make a mistake?

I'm not being snide (I just picked a name for the Earth as living creature).

posted on Mar, 10 2017 @ 07:32 PM
link   
a reply to: schuyler

The what of the world will not prevail?

link   

originally posted by: schuyler
Artificial Intelligence is going to get us. Global warming is going to get us.

Global warming is becoming an issue for humans as we speak and at the rate humans are creating better AI, it will also become an issue for us.

Aliens, well if they do come here, they may turn out to be peace loving creatures who just want to engage in sharing ideas and tech with us but the past has proven that is rarely the case.

link   

originally posted by: markosity1973
I realize that nobody wants to hear it, but humanity is very near the top of the bell curve when it comes to sustainable population numbers.

Even if starvation or climate change doesn't kill us, replacing ourselves with AI will. When you've got a rapidly growing populace, you need jobs for everyone to keep them busy, engaged and able to support themselves. Robots and AI taking jobs will see poverty rise and then discontent will grow until war breaks out.

Also, issues like clean water, dealing effectively with epidemics, dwindling resources for our technology (like the rare earth metals in cell phones, etc.)

Many of us have grown up in an insulated world in the West in the last century.

posted on Mar, 10 2017 @ 07:35 PM
link   

originally posted by: Mictain

The world is like a woman

If you treat her badly, she will pour boiling hominy grits on your ass while you’re taking a bath

And you will go screaming into the night like Richard Pryor did

posted on Mar, 10 2017 @ 07:36 PM
link   

Yep.....

Generation X is the transitional generation. We'll see the end of the good times enjoyed by the baby boomers and see it all turn to crap. It's already started.

I really do worry about what the future holds for the babies of today.

posted on Mar, 10 2017 @ 07:37 PM
link   

edit on 10-3-2017 by Rikku because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 10 2017 @ 07:42 PM
link   

I don't think Stephen Hawking has ever publicly had a kind, hopeful, or optimistic word about anything in this world has he?

posted on Mar, 10 2017 @ 07:47 PM
link   
I’m not a prophet but with literally 10’s of thousands of nuclear weapons around, still the average human lives on a few dollars a day, global warming( getting worst everyday) is now denied as a reality by the greatest country in the world, and wars and genocides are still rampant, the future isn’t bright. We need more SJW not less

"The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing." - Edmund Burke

People have to start making changes and trying to make a better world or it will get worse.

Truly fighting ignorance and poverty and fight for a better future or were going up in flames

posted on Mar, 10 2017 @ 07:47 PM
link   
A general thought that crosses our minds every once in a while, shouldnt be needed for Hawking to speak about it.

Same as us being a virus on this Earth and Mother Nature finding a cure very soon, sometimes a good reset is needed.

posted on Mar, 10 2017 @ 08:01 PM
link   

I always find it fascinating when people with great wealth tell me about greed and how horrible it is.

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join