It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

We Must Stop Referring ourselves as "Black people/ White people"!

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 11 2017 @ 06:57 AM
link   
Americans are taught as children that their ancestors were either slaves, which creates resentment of whites, who owned slaves, who feel shame and fear possible actions of the blacks in reprisal.

A divide is created, as children, and is fueled more and more, ever after.

Slavery was much more prevalent, and longer lasting, in Brazil. Is it treated the way it is in America? I didn't even know about Brazil's massive slave trade - until last year!

posted on Mar, 11 2017 @ 07:41 AM
link   

originally posted by: sekerofknowlege
Umm, read the last paragraph of that link you posted!
"Meaning "fierce, terrible, wicked" is late 14c. The color of sin and sorrow since at least c. 1300; sense of "with dark purposes, malignant" emerged 1580s (as in black magic). Black face in reference to a performance style originated in U.S., is from 1868. Black flag, flown (especially by pirates) as a signal of "no mercy,"

Lol! when you post a link next time, read past the first sentence before you call someone a liar.
a reply to: TarzanBeta

First of all, "the sense of" should clue you in that there came a distorted meaning. The page tells you the actual origin and then its corrupted meanings. You did not say in your OP that those meanings were merely corruptions, but the actual literal meanings.

In your mind, when society corrupts a word, then it should be stricken.

In your world, we would be back to grunting and groaning. And then you would try to destroy the distinction between the two!

Get real.

ETA - What is the color of charcoal? Be careful not to offend anyone while coming up with the answer.
edit on 3/11/2017 by TarzanBeta because: Shaking head.

posted on Mar, 11 2017 @ 08:28 AM
link   
What about the yellows, browns and oranges?
a reply to: sekerofknowlege

posted on Mar, 11 2017 @ 09:00 AM
link   
Some interesting perspectives on this thread!

For my part, I don't see color. I only see deeds.

That said, I fault the 'black' community the most for maintaining the distinction between 'black' and 'white' while in the same breath demanding equality between the two. In many cases the distinction is offered not as a negative connotation, but rather as an excuse or even perhaps a sense of entitlement. Were it not for this I wouldn't even be able to frame the difference between the 'words'.

Perhaps this was the OP's point, and if so I tend to agree. However, if it was not the OP's intent, then I disagree.

So, there it is for whatever it's worth.

posted on Mar, 11 2017 @ 09:09 AM
link   
a reply to: Flyingclaydisk

That's not the OP's intent. When one spreads ignorance in order to fight ignorance, they're throwing gasoline on the fire while claiming they're putting it out.

The OP's intent is to sound mystic while manipulating words to fashion the illusion of logic.

People of my personality type are known to do that if they don't develop their thinking abilities. That's how I can see it a mile away.

posted on Mar, 11 2017 @ 09:38 AM
link   

Nice idea, but its never going to happen. The Black/White divide is all about money and political power. What would happen to the NAACP? What about the Black Congressional Caucus? What about affirmtive action?

All the participants and power brokers and special interests groups get big money for their causes. How would the BLM get Soros funding if it were just LM? What about the Black Professors teaching Black Studies Programs in the Colleges and Universities?

Think about it like that and you will see the divide is highly profitable. Look at it this way. As soon as it looked like most of the greivances had been addressed, they had to come up with a new definition of discrimination, i.e., White Privilege! Another profitable program. What would those people do if suddenly there were no more white people?

posted on Mar, 11 2017 @ 10:55 AM
link   
a reply to: SaturnFX
Well we'll have to agree to disagree on that; words are vibrations that shape the physical reality around us. Nothing in fact is actually physical, everything is vibration, and certain "curse" words (like black, bless, etc.) shape the external reality in a malignant, negative way, while other certain words, ( like Hashem the Hebrew word for God, OM mantra, and love and thank you) shape and mold the physical reality in a positive, creative, sacred geometric way.

Peace out

posted on Mar, 11 2017 @ 10:58 AM
link   
This message is clearly not for you man, and that's Ok, I didn't expect everybody to immediately overstand this message. Maybe one day it will click for you. If not, we can simply agree to disagree.

Peace & love

edit on 11-3-2017 by sekerofknowlege because: (no reason given)

edit on 11-3-2017 by sekerofknowlege because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 11 2017 @ 11:13 AM
link   
"I'm too old to change" Sorry to hear that pal.

a reply to: mikell

posted on Mar, 11 2017 @ 11:13 AM
link   

This message is clearly not for you, only a fool debates with another fool, so I'm not even going to waste my time with an elaborate response.

Peace & love

Peace and love?

etymology of fool

You've called me something worse than your version of "black".

Peace and love?

I simply referred to you as ignorant, which is only Latin for "unknowing".

But you know full well your intentions are revealed when you call me a fool and then claim peace and love; while also conveniently dismissing all the truth I have presented to you.

I can forgive personal insults. But you're trying to make black people feel as if their skin color is somehow a curse to them.

That's absolutely wrong. Black people everywhere should know that being black is no more or less an issue than being any other color. Anyone who cares about color is wrong.

You're wrong.

posted on Mar, 11 2017 @ 11:15 AM
link   

This message is clearly not for you man, and that's Ok, I didn't expect everybody to immediately overstand this message. Maybe one day it will click for you. If not, we can simply agree to disagree.

Peace & love

Convenient change of your statement in the middle of my response.

Kudos to recognizing that you were wrong.

ETA the response function simply reissued your unedited statement again. I had to copy and paste that into these quotes.
edit on 3/11/2017 by TarzanBeta because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 11 2017 @ 06:29 PM
link   
This is probably a dead thread by now, but I'll still give it a shot: I think your missing the whole point of this thread, and I can see how you would actually be a bit offended by what you think I'm saying. I am NOT saying that "black" people are cursed because of their skin color, I am saying that the color black isnt even their skin color to begin with! Nor is a "white" persons skin color white for that matter. If your "black", put a black colored piece of paper next to your skin; you will realize that they are not the same color. So why call your self something your not, especially when the word has multiple meaning, in which the other meanings mean something wicked and evil. Brown would be a more appropriate "color" to call yourself.
Also, the point of this thread was to bring awareness of the backwards nature of the English language, and how many words (like black, white, & bless, for example) have multiple meanings that we're not even aware of, and how these meanings can actually affect us in negative ways.
I apologize if my original post made it seem as I was claiming that "black" people are cursed because their skin is black, which its not.

Anyways, sorry for any misunderstanding, and have a good day.

reply to: TarzanBeta

posted on Mar, 11 2017 @ 07:44 PM
link   
I'd just like to hear people say, "I'm an American" without the hyphenations.

posted on Mar, 12 2017 @ 01:14 AM
link   

originally posted by: burgerbuddy

Well said, burgerbuddy.

It's good that people are proud of their heritage, but nearly every American had ancestors who immigrated from elsewhere. Most of them now refer to themselves as Americans. No hyphens required.

posted on Mar, 12 2017 @ 01:35 AM
link   

originally posted by: burgerbuddy

I think most people do.
When it suits them.

posted on Mar, 12 2017 @ 09:21 AM
link   

How you stop the "black people" and "white people" dynamic: remove the subculture and completely integrate. There shouldn't be 2 people born and raised in the same city, going to the same schools, speaking the same language with 2 different accents and dialects. It is the most glaring symptom of the problem.

How do you do this? Quit building project rows, which become nothing more than deserts that strand poor people in isolated communities. A good example is that you can literally live your entire life in, say, a Chinatown and never have to speak English.

"Black people" and "white people" are an American version of "have" and "have not". And its all because of the isolation The lack of networking and opportunity. Its impossible to network and move upwards socially when you are stranded in an inner city project, a few miles from opportunity and light years from a culturalization that lets you transition into the fruits gained from opportunity.

For what its worth, it happens with other races elsewhere in the US. Cultural isolation makes for a nice wall between you and your neighbors.

ETA: shoulda closed my thoughts.....

Its all about social mobility. If you create social mobility you create the boil that allows our society to mix. This is how you remove race identity....by making all people behave similarly enough that we define our culture together, as a nation, and not based on social stratification and geography.
edit on 3/12/2017 by bigfatfurrytexan because: (no reason given)

new topics

top topics

<< 1   >>

join