It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

How the USA's healthcare system outperform's Norway.

page: 3
<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 10 2017 @ 12:10 PM
link   
a reply to: Edumakated

UK has population of 65 million and manages universal healthcare.

What difference does diversity make?

posted on Mar, 10 2017 @ 12:11 PM
link   

originally posted by: ScepticScot
a reply to: Dfairlite

The bloomberg health care index puts the US 50 out of 55.

Do you have evidence that the US has the best doctors?

www.bloomberg.com...

Canada at number 16, life expectancy almost 82
US at number 50, life expectancy almost 79

That answers that question.

posted on Mar, 10 2017 @ 12:12 PM
link   

originally posted by: snowspirit

It does?

posted on Mar, 10 2017 @ 12:14 PM
link   
a reply to: Shamrock6

Not really. The parameters of your study determine the final rankings. If I'm looking for the most coverage, my parameters reflect that. If I'm looking for the best outcomes, my parameters reflect that. If I'm looking for the quickest care, my parameters reflect that.

Maybe you misunderstood what I was saying.

posted on Mar, 10 2017 @ 12:18 PM
link   

originally posted by: daskakik

originally posted by: snowspirit

It does?

One of them.

posted on Mar, 10 2017 @ 12:19 PM
link   
a reply to: ScepticScot

When it comes to life expectancy, a lot. look up the studies of life expectancy by race.

posted on Mar, 10 2017 @ 12:19 PM
link   
a reply to: snowspirit

Not really, it's common knowledge that the US gets the top doctors around the world.

www.reference.com...#

posted on Mar, 10 2017 @ 12:20 PM
link   

originally posted by: Dfairlite
That's the exact point I'm trying to make. Despite the poor health (from lifestyle choices) of American's, the outcomes in our system is gaining ground on Norway.

As people have already, and repeatedly, pointed out to you, that is not a like-for-like comparison.

The obesity rate shows a similar trend; Norway 10%, America 35%. In the 1960 the US was 13.5%. So while we've gotten fatter we've extended our lives.

Well...so what? That doesn't, in any way, suggest or imply the US healthcare system outperforms Norway's.

You're making assumptions that health and one's quality of health is directly linked to the health care service provided by that country.

And no where have you actually demonstrated that.

I have several good friends from Norway who live here in the UK. One of the complaints they have frequently made was how much better the Norwegian health care service was to the UK's NHS. While I've never been to Norway, pretty much everything I have read suggests the same.

I have never, ever read a report saying the US health care system was on par with *any* of the Scandinavian countries.

posted on Mar, 10 2017 @ 12:20 PM
link   

UK has population of 65 million and manages universal healthcare.

What difference does diversity make?

Last time I checked 65 Million is less than 325 million. It is also arguable if your healthcare outcomes are any better. There is a difference between receiving healthcare and being insured for healthcare. In the US, people by in large receive excellent healthcare even though they may not necessarily be insured.

edit on 10-3-2017 by Edumakated because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 10 2017 @ 12:22 PM
link   

Not really, it's common knowledge that the US gets the top doctors around the world.

www.reference.com...#

Ok. That is terrible. It isn't 'common' knowledge. It's the opinion of one newspaper :

According to "The New York Times," the United States has the best doctors in the world. This is mainly because doctors in the United States earn more money than anywhere else

I would hardly say that designates 'common' knowledge

posted on Mar, 10 2017 @ 12:23 PM
link   

Sorry, knee-jerked.

posted on Mar, 10 2017 @ 12:23 PM
link   

www.reference.com...#

That article suggests that the US gets the best doctors, not by producing them, but by hiring the best from other countries systems. Not quite the same thing.

posted on Mar, 10 2017 @ 12:24 PM
link   

That BS strawman doesn't fly no matter what numbers you plug in.

posted on Mar, 10 2017 @ 12:24 PM
link   
The United States life expectancy is near the top of the heap, even though we do a lot of nasty, horrible things to ourselves. That's a testament to how good our healthcare system is.

Reminds me of Trump winning, even though he faced incredible headwinds.

posted on Mar, 10 2017 @ 12:25 PM
link   

www.reference.com...#

www.statista.com...

USA also has many more MRI machines than Canada. You guys should have better life expectancy with both top doctors and so many MRI machines.

posted on Mar, 10 2017 @ 12:25 PM
link   
a reply to: noonebutme

This is why I used norway. It's one of the best systems in the world. Yet it hasn't been able to keep pace with the advances the US system has made in outcomes.

I have never, ever read a report saying the US health care system was on par with *any* of the Scandinavian countries.

And you likely never will.

You're making assumptions that health and one's quality of health is directly linked to the health care service provided by that country.

I'm actually making the exact opposite claim. America's health outcomes are bad, not because of the system, but because of the lifestyle of Americans. Universal healthcare won't fix those outcomes and will actually make them worse. I don't expect those outside of the US to understand this.

posted on Mar, 10 2017 @ 12:26 PM
link   

www.reference.com...#

That article suggests that the US gets the best doctors, not by producing them, but by hiring the best from other countries systems. Not quite the same thing.

The best medical schools for the most part are in the US... not only does the US produce the best doctors, but generally attracts the best doctors from other countries as well.

The United States functions as a "talent vacuum" within the context of the world economy. Simply stated, the United States funnels the best and brightest from around the world because it can offer the highest paying jobs and best living conditions. This ensures that the quality of the U.S. health care system is the highest in the world.

posted on Mar, 10 2017 @ 12:26 PM
link   

lol

posted on Mar, 10 2017 @ 12:27 PM
link   

The OP was arguing the US was better.

Yet to see a study that backs that up.

The ones I have seen consistently rank the US with poor outcomes and the highest cost.

At what point does population get to big for universal healthcare and why?

posted on Mar, 10 2017 @ 12:27 PM
link   
a reply to: carewemust

People all over the world do not take care of themselves and still worldwide life expectancy has been going up. There is nothing special about you being gouged for minimally better healthcare.

edit on 10-3-2017 by daskakik because: (no reason given)

top topics

<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join