It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

DEVELOPING: Trump Considers Sending B-52 Nuclear Bombers to Korean Peninsula

page: 2
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 9 2017 @ 09:29 PM
link   
It's is only a matter of time until the nut job to the north does something stupid.
Unfortunately innocent people will suffer as a result.
But it will happen.

posted on Mar, 9 2017 @ 09:46 PM
link   
a reply to: D8Tee

What does the US have in the area right now if the conflict were to suddenly escalate?

Pretty much the largest military assembly in peace time ever - this is the time of year where the joint South Korean/U.S. wargames takes place, and it is set to be the largest ever.

posted on Mar, 9 2017 @ 09:49 PM
link   
No matter who is the cause of x.... Can we all take a breath and at least agree we live in some pretty chaotic times. This script would have been rejected by the studio heads as 'implausible, too much going on'.

posted on Mar, 9 2017 @ 09:50 PM
link   
so when the obama admin sent a B-52 bomber over South Korea to show force... it was all good

but since trump is gonna show force now its the start of ww3?

lol k
edit on 9-3-2017 by Jiggly because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 9 2017 @ 09:52 PM
link   

originally posted by: DupontDeux

What does the US have in the area right now if the conflict were to suddenly escalate?

Pretty much the largest military assembly in peace time ever - this is the time of year where the joint South Korean/U.S. wargames takes place, and it is set to be the largest ever.

I was reading N. Korea has 70 submarines.
Approximately 20 Romeo class submarines (1,800 tons), 40 Sang-O-class submarines (300 tons) and 10 midget submarines including the Yono-class submarine (130 tons)I would think that the USA has some subs in the area as well?
Anyone have a good link that would list whats in the area?
edit on 9-3-2017 by D8Tee because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 9 2017 @ 09:52 PM
link   

Operation "Korean Barbeque?"

Well that was inappropriate, but I couldn't resist. I tried!

On a serious note - I'm curious how the Korean situation differs from any other potential war theatre - in that, the Korean War never ended. Does this give the president an easier path to military action? To think, my grandfather fought in the Korean War, and while it's been a long cease fire, it still has never come to a close.

I hope to hell it never pops off, but if shots are ever fired either way, it's going to be a bloody mess, with tens of thousands dead in the opening minutes, likely hundreds of thousands in the first days when civilian targets start being hit, and megadeaths should nukes ever land.

I wonder too, if ever there was a coup, with the indoctrination of decades, how much of a mess of factions would there be, and for how long? There's so many possible ways a turnover in power could go - it almost seems as though status quo and containment is, sadly, the best scenario of all.

posted on Mar, 9 2017 @ 09:53 PM
link   
A few minor points here before people continue freaking out about WWIIII.

The B-52s in question have been more or less permanently deployed to Guam for almost 20 years. They will fly from Guam, to Korea, and back to Guam.

Second, they participate in Foal Eagle every year. There are great pictures of them from just about each one flying with US and Korean fighters.

Third, even against North Korea, a B-52 isn't going to be on the front lines. They're too old and valuable to risk. .

Now if they were sending a couple CSGs, and a bunch more tactical air and command and control platforms it would be a different story. But a couple B-52s? Nothing but a chance for the idiots in the media to fear monger.

posted on Mar, 9 2017 @ 09:54 PM
link   

Over 90% of those subs can't operate beyond coastal waters.

posted on Mar, 9 2017 @ 09:55 PM
link   
a reply to: dogstar23

The difference here is that there's still a technical state of war between the US, South Korea, and North Korea. They only signed an armistice, never a formal treaty.

posted on Mar, 9 2017 @ 09:55 PM
link   

originally posted by: Zaphod58
A few minor points here before people continue freaking out about WWIIII.

The B-52s in question have been more or less permanently deployed to Guam for almost 20 years. They will fly from Guam, to Korea, and back to Guam.

Second, they participate in Foal Eagle every year. There are great pictures of them from just about each one flying with US and Korean fighters.

Third, even against North Korea, a B-52 isn't going to be on the front lines. They're too old and valuable to risk. .

Now if they were sending a couple CSGs, and a bunch more tactical air and command and control platforms it would be a different story. But a couple B-52s? Nothing but a chance for the idiots in the media to fear monger.

Edit- Jiggly already said it.
edit on 2017-03-09T22:03:00-06:002201709America/Chicago3 by c2oden because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 9 2017 @ 09:57 PM
link   

it almost seems as though status quo and containment is, sadly, the best scenario of all.
I don't agree. They can't be allowed to develop an ICBM. From what I can glean from the net, they are testing the engines for one now. Missile defence systems aren't that good at shooting down ICBM's. Kim Jung and his regime need to be taken out.

posted on Mar, 9 2017 @ 10:04 PM
link   
a reply to: Zaphod58

Carl Vinson is on it's way to the area, but that was planned as part of the wargames I think?

posted on Mar, 9 2017 @ 10:06 PM
link   
Trespassers will be violated.
It is legally posted on my property.

posted on Mar, 9 2017 @ 10:07 PM
link   
Probably showing off a bit to remind NK not to do something stupid during a South Korean impeachment.

posted on Mar, 9 2017 @ 10:14 PM
link   

I'll see if I can find it. It was a reaction shown briefly in a FoxNews report this past Saturday, after the 4 missile launches.. There were 6 or 7 top generals, wearing those wide/flat hats, jumping and hugging each other like they had hit the Powerball jackpot. Maybe they were relieved...because they'll live to see another day now, LOL.

posted on Mar, 9 2017 @ 10:18 PM
link   
a reply to: carewemust

Off camera was some anti aircraft aimed at them if it didnt work

posted on Mar, 9 2017 @ 10:26 PM
link   

originally posted by: Zaphod58

The difference here is that there's still a technical state of war between the US, South Korea, and North Korea. They only signed an armistice, never a formal treaty.

That's what I'm referring to - with no approval of congress needed to "declare war", I'm sure measures would still be taken, but it would seem a much easier (less bureaucratic) path to initiation of military action

posted on Mar, 9 2017 @ 10:28 PM
link   

originally posted by: reldra

Some? other than the weird ones you picked?

And all the conservatives said Hillary would start WWIII.

She would have sold Kim Un our technology banned from export first. But what conservatives knew all along as well as the rest of the world was that Kim would actually be the one to provoke WWIII.

posted on Mar, 9 2017 @ 10:28 PM
link   

She's participated in Foal Eagle the last couple of years.

Trust me, if something was being planned in Korea, you would know it. We used to do paper exercises about the response to an attack on South Korea by the North. Within 48 hours, almost every tanker in the US would be moving west, with every bit of TacAir they could drag with them, with some dropping off in Hawaii to hit the bombers and transports that would be following behind.

posted on Mar, 9 2017 @ 10:41 PM
link   
Couple of things.

First off Yes B-52's can carry nuclear weapons notably the AGM-86B. But if the US intended to nuke North Korea it would far more likely come from B-2's staging out of Diego Garcia. So the headline itself is a bit alarmist.

The US flew BUFF's the last time Crazy Kim acted up so I'm not see why people are making such an issue now. In fact I think we are not doing enough to support our allies in Japan and South Korea and should bolster the defenses around the area with a few more ABM equipped Burke's to supplement the Kongo class

top topics

<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join