It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

UFO's in European paintings - Did the creators have access to secret knowledge?

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:
+2 more 
posted on Mar, 9 2017 @ 01:39 PM
link   
Many people think that UFO phenomenon started with in the 20th century with famous cases like Roswell and the Foo fighters during world war two.

Since these events took place countless books, movies, comics have popularised the UFO subject. But some of you may know that UFO's have been a part of mankind's history for a long time. Between the 14th and the 17th century, artists have portrayed UFO's in many of their art works.

In most cases, these UFO's are explained by historian as the depictions of religious events or as celestial bodies like the moon or the sun. But in some cases the UFO's these artists painted were very different than your standard angel or your standard cloud.

Could it be that some of these artists had done research in the secret library of the Vatican and created these paintings based on the knowledge they had found there? What about the many UFO report from those times where artist were asked by the witnesses to paint what they saw? Can these be explained by mundane events like a moonrise or Venus?

posted on Mar, 9 2017 @ 02:55 PM
link   
a reply to: SirBlackKnight

Thank you for posting a video covering two of my favorite topics: UFOs & Art

I want to believe that ancient artists had access to secret knowledge, however, I suspect that a large number of these "UFOs" and other odd stuff in old artwork is nothing more than symbolism- using imagery to convey an idea. For example, there is a statue of Moses sculpted by Michelangelo, that depicts the Biblical character as having horns (like a goat). While the reasons for these protuberances from the statue's head are still being argued by art historians and other scholars, they were most likely meant to convey the idea of rays of holy light being sent to (or from?) the heavens. More Info

Sure, some artists may have heard tales of astronomical events or perhaps even witnessed them firsthand, but until the advent of photography during the industrial age, they had to rely on memories and creativity in order to try and translate the strange sightings to canvas or stone. Few of us (artists) have photographic memories, and using reference material is something that many rely upon when generating imagery.

Still, there are quite a few ancient works of art that are fascinating due to these UFO-like insertions. One of my favorites (the first work covered in the posted video) is "The Madonna with Saint Giovannino", by Domenico Ghirlandaio (1449-1494) - there is no question in my mind that the artist wanted to depict someone witnessing an object flying in the sky!

edit on 392017 by seattlerat because: Added Links

edit on 392017 by seattlerat because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 9 2017 @ 03:04 PM
link   
a reply to: seattlerat
Your bottom painting has been in my mind since I was young. It started my belief in ufos. Thats not a star, thats not an asteroid or the sun or the moon. this is obviously a flying craft. TO paint that, took time and effort and its not on accident

posted on Mar, 9 2017 @ 03:10 PM
link   

It was common, especially with pictures of Mary, that the holy spirit was depicted as an object above Mary. There are actually many other examples.

posted on Mar, 9 2017 @ 03:29 PM
link   
Good video but it's always the same European paintings being discussed in these videos. I want to see the Japanese paintings that have UAP's in them.

This is the Japanese UFO.

I need to go find all the rare pieces of Asian artwork the might dipict UAP's. European artwork is to easy to connect with a western god. I like looking further east.

edit on 9-3-2017 by TheAlleghenyGentleman because: Grammar bombs

posted on Mar, 9 2017 @ 03:46 PM
link   
I think a lot of them need to be placed into proper context to understand the intended symbolism. Some of these are difficult to explain, but many of them aren't. Take the Baptism of Jesus painting. I'm sure you know exactly which one I'm referring to. It may look like a flying saucer beaming some weird tractor beams or something, but it's an artist's illustration of the biblical account. Heaven opened up and the spirit descended like a dove alighting Him.

posted on Mar, 9 2017 @ 03:57 PM
link   
a reply to: filthyphilanthropist

Exactly, a lot of these are too easy to make into biblical accounts.

Unfortunately, most paintings with UAP's can be pigeon holed into some sort of religious context if tried hard enough.

posted on Mar, 9 2017 @ 04:16 PM
link   
Whilst our ancestors were certainly not stupid people their world view was entirely different. Just as our descendants will look back on our times differently than we do today. But at least we have photographs, video, audio and meticulous written records for future historians to look back upon. So I think it's tricky to try and interpret the art work of our forefathers.

Interesting stuff though and we should not ignore it. The past may provide a clue to our future.
edit on 9/3/17 by mirageman because: typo

posted on Mar, 9 2017 @ 04:36 PM
link   
Well the two paintings of Jesus depicted on the cross with the two objects in the top right and left hand corners resemble each other.
I am guessing you can find similar objects in the sky in other paintings as well.

posted on Mar, 10 2017 @ 12:00 AM
link   
a reply to: TheAlleghenyGentleman

Unfortunately, most paintings with UAP's can be pigeon holed into some sort of religious context if tried hard enough.

The symbology is actually quite consistent.
www.abovetopsecret.com...

Since they were painted centuries after the "actual" events, they can't exactly be considered accurate representations. Can they? Not eyewitness interpretations, are they? They are illustrations of stories from long ago, illustrations sanctioned by the Church.
edit on 3/10/2017 by Phage because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 10 2017 @ 12:35 AM
link   
a reply to: Phage

No, they can't be considered actual representations. There is too much speculating when it comes to these paintings. I have never found any evidence that has made me a believer 100%. I believe most of it is military or just misidentified.

You were in the cockpit a ton. Did you or your fellow aviators ever see an object that couldn't be identified with the standard information at hand?

posted on Mar, 10 2017 @ 02:24 AM
link   

This is a prime example of an Annunciation painting. Most of the visual elements are like icons, you are expected to understand the symbolism. Time has gone by, we aren't all Medieval Catholics, so it seems odd.

The guy with a dog pointing to the sky object is a shepherd, for example. The object is a hole in the sky leading to heaven, and angels are peering out of it. The painting is a visual story of the Annunciation.

posted on Mar, 10 2017 @ 04:29 AM
link   
It could be a two way street.

UFO's get talked about, interpreted mythologically, and then enter into the symbolism. Then when people make art they express symbolism.

I figure aliens have always visited Earth to gather biological materials (such as food and fresh water) for their long voyages. The local natives primitive level of development would mean nobody's going to charge them a fee for it.

posted on Mar, 10 2017 @ 05:24 AM
link   

originally posted by: Phage
a reply to: TheAlleghenyGentleman

The symbology is actually quite consistent.
www.abovetopsecret.com...

Since they were painted centuries after the "actual" events, they can't exactly be considered accurate representations. Can they? Not eyewitness interpretations, are they? They are illustrations of stories from long ago, illustrations sanctioned by the Church.

Yep. This idea has been thoroughly debunked (of course) multiple times here. This thread by the member Cicada is 7 years older than the one you linked: UFOs in Works of Art

Average people don't have any inkling of Art History, not that they should. Anyone that believes these are UFO depictions should stop for a minute and realize that, when these works were painted, people could write. It's well known among Art Historians what these "UFOs" actually represent. After all, people did write about them.

Harte

posted on Mar, 10 2017 @ 06:51 AM
link   
a reply to: filthyphilanthropist The term spirit really refers to the aerial vehicles the "angels" would of used then. Interestingly enough that ole shaft of light than shines down unto the one know as yeshua in paintings is uncanny and similar to the light beams ufos project.
edit on 10-3-2017 by TheKestrel04 because: .

posted on Mar, 10 2017 @ 06:58 AM
link   
a reply to: Harte

What you forgot to say is that claiming anything other than God and Earth being the center of the universe would get you burned alive. Galileo Galilei comes to mind...So people would resort to using words close to religion for explaining things to avoid consequences of being accused of heresy. Pretty sure there were detailed reports about numerous events that got burned and what's left is being kept hidden from us. Well almost...

This one is interesting:

Nuremberg, Germany, 1561

It was published in the freaking news. Similar event was apparently seen in, not that far away, Basel, Switzerland.

Care to explain what they saw? Because I don't buy the modern interpretations.
edit on 10-3-2017 by Op3nM1nd3d because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 10 2017 @ 07:24 AM
link   

originally posted by: TheAlleghenyGentleman
a reply to: filthyphilanthropist

Exactly, a lot of these are too easy to make into biblical accounts.

No, they are being pigeon holed into being illustrations of UFO's - they are all by and large biblical scenes commissioned by various bishops, popes and rich people for that specific purpose and intend on the whole to show manifestations of the Holy Spirit. It appears some people are trying hard to ignore the reason the pictures were painted in the first place.

posted on Mar, 10 2017 @ 07:28 AM
link   
a reply to: Op3nM1nd3d

It's an artists representation of eye witness comments about the explosions that took place when a warehouse that was stocked with (if I remember correctly) gunpowder caught fire. If you find that fanciful, look at the bottom right of the first picture in your post and see the smoke coming from the building - that's representing the building from which the explosion took place.
edit on 10-3-2017 by uncommitted because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 10 2017 @ 04:31 PM
link   

originally posted by: TheKestrel04
a reply to: filthyphilanthropist The term spirit really refers to the aerial vehicles the "angels" would of used then. Interestingly enough that ole shaft of light than shines down unto the one know as yeshua in paintings is uncanny and similar to the light beams ufos project.
... No, the term "spirit" really doesn't refer to the "aerial vehicles" the angels would have used. The opening up of heaven and subsequent beams of light in this painting resemble modern artists depiction of an alien vessel with tractor beams, sure, but they aren't the same thing. Being born waaaaaay after the event, the artist wasn't sure what it looked like, so I guess he thought a circle in the sky with light beams was a great way to capture the story. It's that simple.

posted on Mar, 11 2017 @ 03:01 PM
link   
How would ancient people even know UFO's were space craft with people inside?

There aren't any windows.

new topics

<<   2 >>

join