It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

What has ATS Become?

page: 2
<< 1    3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 9 2017 @ 02:16 PM
link   

originally posted by: PublicOpinion
a reply to: LesMisanthrope

It's awesome! I just saw a self-proclaimed misanthrope complaining about complaints, lovely stuff. Haters gonna hate, right?

lol!

This part almost made me spit coffee on my monitor:

The penalty for refusing to participate in ATS is that you end up looking like a self-aggrandizing mug when you do nothing but complain about it

Not sure if OP is aware of the hypocritical irony regarding his post.

posted on Mar, 9 2017 @ 02:17 PM
link   
a reply to: LesMisanthrope

Maybe someone at ATS needs to change the order of discussion topics listed on their about page:

About Above Top Secret

AboveTopSecret.com is the Internet's largest and most popular discussion board community dedicated to the intelligent exchange of ideas and debate on a wide range of "alternative topics" such as conspiracies, UFO's, paranormal, secret societies, political scandals, new world order, terrorism, and dozens of related topics on current events, politics, and government wrong-doing with poignant commentary from a diverse mix of users from all over the world.

"conspiracies, UFO's, paranormal, secret societies, political scandals...."

I believe the political scandals should be placed in front now. How dare long time members of a conspiracy website be upset that a conspiracy website is dominated by political issues now? Those ungrateful mother truckers. I say you should take us all out back, and dispense a minimum of 10 lashes each. That will surely teach us, never to gripe against a conspiracy website that is rapidly no longer becoming one anymore.

Thank you for your wisdom, my eyes have now been open.

posted on Mar, 9 2017 @ 02:17 PM
link   

originally posted by: IgnoranceIsntBlisss
a reply to: SolAquarius

That happens to epic politic threads, too.

I think it has to do with attention span.

Many Users are looking for instant gratification of their bias and I guess don't want to bother reading something that requires thought or heaven forbid might challenge them to change a long held belief on somthing.

posted on Mar, 9 2017 @ 02:23 PM
link   
a reply to: TortoiseKweek

You suspiciously left some out.

...new world order, terrorism, and dozens of related topics on current events, politics, and government wrong-doing with poignant commentary from a diverse mix of users from all over the world.

posted on Mar, 9 2017 @ 02:25 PM
link   
There have been several threads on this subject lately. I concur, but suspect it's a natural evolution and inevitable. If you read the ATS "I love me" wall you find that ATS' claim to fame is "user provided content." The unsaid word here is "unpaid" meaning we, as users, provide the content for free in exchange for access. That's the covenant, the trade-off. But to provide the content, ATS needs to make money to pay for the bandwidth, the servers, and the connections. I would also say "the programming," but we don't see much evidence of that happening here these last few years. Basically the system more or less works and the problems it has are of insufficient import to warrant time fixing them.

But still, it takes money to run the show, and this is derived from click bait revenue and optimizing the chances for those clicks. ATS has probably done a pretty good job of that, and part of that job is to increase the traffic. So where this was once a conspiracy site, you now see forums on pets, cooking, and sports. Perhaps they don't get much traffic, but the point is that it makes sense to optimize those areas that DO get the traffic, and that includes politics, which has become the dominant theme because the traffic wants to go there.

I suspect that the revenue derived from this site is enough to keep it going, but not enough to do a really good job. And though its statistics in terms of number of members is vastly exaggerated (fodder for another post), it has reached a critical mass. As stated above, there is obviously no effort going into the software platform, despite its issues. What we have are absentee landlords. Neither Skeptic Overlord nor Springer are here very often any more and the Third Amigo has been absent for a decade. Something else is taking the majority of their time. We do have a corps of moderators, also unpaid, and you may say they have a thankless job and I would agree. But enough of us have received both applause and censure for the same post to know there is something wrong there, too. Too many of them talk tough and act like bullies. Like a lot of cops who join the force because they believe in doing some good and public service, they wind up cynical and treating the public like second class citizens. The result is an unfocused ATS, rudderless and going in circles while ignoring its original mission. In terms of content it is much more of a news aggregator site as members feel compelled to repeat what is on The Drudge Report. Indeed, ATS is very much a clone of the Drudge Report, the difference being that you can comment on the stories and there is no editorial direction.

In terms of insightful posts and extensive research, it takes a lot of time and effort. It's no wonder these comprehensive posts are waning. You don't see them much any more. Why? The question is really, Why bother? Posts which are erudite and represent real research are often met with "violent opposition from mediocre minds" (A. Einstein) or imbecilic reactions from the uneducated. Why put your heat and soul into something only to throw it into an acidic cesspool where it gets eaten away and soon sinks below the fold without a trace? That also is a thankless proposition. As a result of all these forces, ATS content moves towards the mediocre. And without someone taking over the controls and actually doing something about it, it's not going to get fixed.

posted on Mar, 9 2017 @ 02:26 PM
link   

Of course, there are a host of those pet conspiracy favs that come with a hefty side of politics and you can't really discuss the NWO or the illuminati without engaging to some degree in politics. The subjects intertwine.

posted on Mar, 9 2017 @ 02:28 PM
link   
This is my second go at ATS.

I was on around 2011 before my computer went belly up and I lost my password.

People even then would reminiscence about some golden age of ATS and how it had gone down hill.

Honestly It didn't seem that bad back then and there were some great threads. There was partisan bickering but it seems mild in comparison to now.

I can say from my perspective the quality of content has gone way down since the last time I was on here.

Even the ability to discuss politics has gone down.

I personally blame the mudpit that is my AXE to grind. I have no problem with politics and I believe issues need to be discussed and dissected.
What I have a problem with is the mudpit and what it is doing to the disscussion.

posted on Mar, 9 2017 @ 02:29 PM
link   
a reply to: SolAquarius

I guess part of my answer is based on why you are writing. I'm very new to ATS and did not come here for the juvenile political banter. There's enough of that on many other sites. If you write on a non-political subject, what is your motivation? I've begun only a few threads and only one is strictly political (though any thread is inherently political). I've had limited feedback but have enjoyed it quite a bit.

There is a lot of non-sense but it's fairly easy to weed those threads/comments out. I don't have much experience here, but I think it is a unique place and wish more people would write about the subject matters they are interested in, even if it doesn't make the front page. Personally, I usually just visit the "New" page and the forums I'm interested in. Cheers.

posted on Mar, 9 2017 @ 02:32 PM
link   

originally posted by: LesMisanthrope
a reply to: odzeandennz

I'm tired of the bad punctuation and grammar, personally. The rest I can live with or do it myself.

yea, that would be nice... and needing 10 paragraphs to make a trivial and insignificant point is getting just as irritating...
its always the same folks though...

posted on Mar, 9 2017 @ 02:34 PM
link   

yea, that would be nice... and needing 10 paragraphs to make a trivial and insignificant point is getting just as irritating...

That's how you weed out those with low attention spans, not to mention those with bad spelling, punctuation and grammar.

posted on Mar, 9 2017 @ 02:35 PM
link   
a reply to: TobyFlenderson

If you got something to write then I encourage you to do so.

I am happy when anybody posts anything that breaks the current norm of thread posting.

At the very most you can use it as a justification to improve your writing and your ability to articulate your ideas.

That's the excuse I am currently using for returning to ATS.

edit on 9-3-2017 by SolAquarius because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 9 2017 @ 02:36 PM
link   

You suspiciously left some out.

...new world order, terrorism, and dozens of related topics on current events, politics, and government wrong-doing with poignant commentary from a diverse mix of users from all over the world.

No, I merely mentioned the order by which listed on the website, and the first time politics is mentioned is # 5. I had no need to quote the entire web page. I'm sure members here are more than capable of clicking the link provided and reading such. You seemed able to.

The point is that ATS should re-consider the listing of all these discussion topics, as conspiracy seems to have taken a back seat to politics recently, and it's looking that way for the long term.

I don't understand why people get their noses bent out of shape when members of a conspiracy website complain about the flooding of political posts here?

posted on Mar, 9 2017 @ 02:37 PM
link   
Hmmm, the number of times I've seen a long article I've been reading and thought about sharing it with my own thoughts or the times I've seen a connection and wondered if I was crazy or it was really a connection and just sat on it because I was apathetic about writing it up for figured no one would care ...

I do that.

There was an interesting article about the campus climate and political correctness written by a liberal for example that I found interesting, but I can't remember where I ran across it.

I've seen some interesting stuff on prophecies over the years but that's almost always greeted with hostility.

posted on Mar, 9 2017 @ 02:45 PM
link   

originally posted by: ketsuko

Of course, there are a host of those pet conspiracy favs that come with a hefty side of politics and you can't really discuss the NWO or the illuminati without engaging to some degree in politics. The subjects intertwine.

Agreed. I just think the amount of political user generated content is reaching a level where it's going to be detrimental to this site, and eventually turn people off completely.

Above Top Politics may actually be a good idea. You want to discuss politics, go there. If it has a conspiracy angle, sure then post here.

I see way too many threads here recently that are political and don't seem to have any conspiracy angle.

posted on Mar, 9 2017 @ 02:58 PM
link   

I'm tired of the bad punctuation and grammar, personally. The rest I can live with or do it myself.

Every day I come this close to making a rant about the horrendous punctuation. My pet peeve (one of them, anyway) is that folks are using commas for everything- when many times they should be using a semi-colon, sometimes a colon, and most times, just a plain old period to start a new sentence! Grrr.

Thank you for giving me the opportunity to air that gripe without having to start my own thread.

posted on Mar, 9 2017 @ 02:59 PM
link   

There is an entire database of conspiracy topics for your viewing pleasure, so I'm not sure why everyone is getting bent out of shape about political posts, especially when they have plenty of freedom to make those posts themselves.

posted on Mar, 9 2017 @ 02:59 PM
link   
a reply to: KansasGirl

However bad you think it is here, I've seen way worse in my lines of work, so I let this roll off my back.

posted on Mar, 9 2017 @ 03:01 PM
link   

That's how you weed out those with low attention spans, not to mention those with bad spelling, punctuation and grammar.

if you say it long enough, it becomes real.

if only brevity was the soul of intelligence.

posted on Mar, 9 2017 @ 03:02 PM
link   
a reply to: KansasGirl

It's my pet peeve as well.

Do you happen to employ the Oxford comma?

posted on Mar, 9 2017 @ 03:05 PM
link   

originally posted by: odzeandennz

if you say it long enough, it becomes real.

if only brevity was the soul of intelligence.

Not really. The reason Noam Chomsky is rarely interviewed by primetime television is that he lacks consision. Brevity is often best left for places like twitter and CNN.

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3  4 >>

join