It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

40 percent fewer illegals crossing the border from January to February

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 9 2017 @ 01:54 PM
link   

originally posted by: chiefsmom
Umm..... While I am very happy with the results so far, and agree with most of your post, I have to respectfully disagree with your meth assumption.

I am anything BUT naive when it comes to this issue, in fact, unfortunately, I have intimate, family knowledge of this F::::: life wrecking drug.
It is too damn easy to make. Period. And people were getting very little help, until recently, in our little rural area, they were just being thrown in Jail. Finally, someone woke up, and decided to give them a choice of rehab or jail. Thank God, the Goddess, whomever!

So, while along the border, it may help with the meth crisis, up here in little podunk USA, it isn't going to. They just make it themselves.

Sorry didn't mean for this to turn into a rant. Just that meth is a sore subject for me.

You're wrong about that, sorry, but it isn't made in the home nearly as much as it was 10 years ago. The Mexicans have taken over the meth distribution in this country. Why would anyone make it when it is so readily available on the street right now. Making it is not worth their time anymore. Sure, as the crack down begins on the Mexican importation, some may resort back to making it at home, but it's not going to be easy. There are tough new US laws prohibiting the easy access to the ingredients. It's not as easy as you think to make at home anymore.

posted on Mar, 9 2017 @ 01:54 PM
link   
this is what was needed to boost security at our borders. Kudos to Trump and his admin for keeping this promise.
more resources needs to be allocated to border security and patrols and give ICE the funding it needs to get rid of the lifelong criminals walking our streets. send them all back.
hopefully the crime rate in my neck of the woods in soCal will see a dramatic drop as well.

posted on Mar, 9 2017 @ 02:04 PM
link   

originally posted by: Vasa Croe

originally posted by: Rezlooper
From 31,000 crossing in January to 18,000 in February, Homeland Security chief announces a 40% drop in illegal border crossings. Kelly said it is because of Trump's immigration policies and it's the lowest border crossing total in at least 5 years.

The Trump Effect on illegal immigration

It is also reported that apprehensions increased from 10% in January to 20% in February.

On January 25, Trump signed two executive orders. One ordered a wall to be built along the roughly 2,000-mile U.S-Mexico border. It also provided additional resources to DHS to stop people intending to “illegally enter the United States without inspection or admission,” and called for an additional 5,000 border agents.

These significant numbers are already happening and there are still plans to hire 5,000 more agents, and build a wall.

The second order reinstated the Secure Communities Program, which ICE uses to target undocumented immigrants. It also instructed the State Department to “withhold visas or take other measures to ensure countries take back the undocumented immigrants the U.S. sends back, and also strips federal grant money from sanctuary cities that harbor undocumented immigrants

What other effects shall we see from these tough immigration policies? Hopefully, we'll see a dent in the meth epidemic plaguing our communities all across America. Here in my neck of the woods, it's out of control. Just the other day a couple was arrested for smoking meth in their home with three young children inside, ages 7, 2 and 10 months. Thankfully those kids have been rescued. Also, spoke with a teacher in our schools recently who said they are seeing the effects on the children. A 3rd grade student has lost nearly all his teeth already, terribly sad.

Meth is destroying countless families in this country. People who don't think building a wall will help reduce the flow of this drug into our country are naive.

Sorry for the rant on drugs in an immigration thread, but I think the two go hand in hand.

My guess is we will see unemployment fairly drastically within a few years. If illegals aren't getting in and are getting deported then companies will be forced to pay higher wages for US citizens, or at the very least, legally hire citizens on payroll for tax purposes which will reflect a equivalent boom in the unemployed becoming employed.

As it was under Obama, as soon as your benefits ran out you weren't considered unemployed anymore...so you didn't count in the numbers. We will likely see them stay flat for a bit until companies that use illegals start taking a hit on net income and have to hire legally.

Yes, another positive outcome of Trump's immigration policy. Maybe not so good for the business owner, but great for the worker. My friend in Florida is a foreman on a construction crew with 15 guys under him and 10 are Mexicans, not sure if legal or illegal, but they work for $11 an hour versus the $17 an hour the non-Mexican gets. That's $60 per hour for the business owner he saves, so why wouldn't he hire them. The other part of this is that the Mexicans send most of that money they make back to Mexico, so it leaves our country. If more Americans are hired again, more money stays in our economy. A good thing indeed.

posted on Mar, 9 2017 @ 02:04 PM
link   
a reply to: Rezlooper

Absolute BS. It was being made in his grandmothers apartment. It was also being made in the neighbors driveway by another young fellow. And yet one more, making it in his grandfather's barn.

Look, I do respect you, and agree with a lot of your posts. But up here, in MI? Come for a visit. I will give you the Meth tour. And introduce you to these industrious fellows. Let them tell you their story.

posted on Mar, 9 2017 @ 02:07 PM
link   

originally posted by: Urantia1111

Its working already.

Trump doesnt even necessarily have to have laws in place to make a difference.

The mere suggestion that he intends to crack down is changing minds.

Thank you President Trump!

Yes, you're right. But also, as another poster said above, from Texas, that they are seeing already a drastic increase in border agents and stepped up patrols from local state and county law enforcement. So, I'm sure that is already making a difference as well.

posted on Mar, 9 2017 @ 02:08 PM
link   
Sounds like illegal immigrants are using the more expensive coyotes to get across instead of making a go for it themselves.

Smart, given Trumps rhetoric.

posted on Mar, 9 2017 @ 02:11 PM
link   

originally posted by: underwerks
Sounds like illegal immigrants are using the more expensive coyotes to get across instead of making a go for it themselves.

This post wins the daily mental gymnastics award...
Are more expensive coyotes like the ones that offer a no rape assurance contract or something?

posted on Mar, 9 2017 @ 02:16 PM
link   

originally posted by: chr0naut

You don't stop substance abuse and its economy by making it more illegal and policing.

That approach hasn't worked.

Nor is blaming the drug economy upon Mexico (where the same drugs are just as illegal). They are taking the same response to drugs that the US is.

The proven solution to the illegal drugs issue is to decriminalise possession of drugs (leaving the sale of illegal drugs a criminal offence). Then, make the drugs available under prescription in small, tightly controlled doses (and perhaps even government subsidised). This ruins the profitability of the illegal drug economy. No one rational would risk imprisonment for no financial gain.

Dealing with the effects of substance abuse then becomes a medical issue of harm minimisation and dependence reduction.

A wall won't stop methamphetamine use while ever there is profitability in getting it across the border.

I explained in my post how tough immigration policy will help stop meth. To legalize meth is completely insane. I'm a huge supporter of legalizing mary jane, but come on, meth? One has to draw a line somewhere. Have you actually seen the impacts of this drug on anyone, let alone children living in the homes of methheads? Completely irrational to consider legalizing meth use.

I am aware of the dangers of the abuse of methamphetamine. It is an illegal epidemic in the island that I live on, too. My close friends, on behalf of our department of 'Child, Youth and Family Services', care for three children, under 8 years old, who were born meth dependent. They have chosen to adopt those children rather than have them passed from foster home to foster home. It is a horror that very few care-givers or parents could endure (imagine a baby that screams, not cries, for 19 hours a day/night and you can do nothing to placate them, then times it by three, in a family with several other children). I know from experience that, personally, I would break under that sort of strain. It takes a special love to choose to endure that for the sake of these children.

Throwing addicts into jail does nothing to stop their addiction and does not deal with the effects of drug abuse on society and individuals - at all. The only solutions to those problems are medical.

I am roughly 10,950 kilometres from Mexico, so I can't blame them.

Methamphetamine was originally 'cooked' and distributed within the US by motorcycle gangs (as it currently is in New Zealand). Then the Mexican cartels began to predominate, but they are no longer the main source. Currently, South American drug cartels are taking over as primary source. As a reducer of illegal drugs, building a wall against Mexico is probably too little, too late.

The problem is not one of nationality, population movement or travel.

Solutions that target things other than the problems are futile distractions.

edit on 9/3/2017 by chr0naut because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 9 2017 @ 02:18 PM
link   

originally posted by: chiefsmom

Absolute BS. It was being made in his grandmothers apartment. It was also being made in the neighbors driveway by another young fellow. And yet one more, making it in his grandfather's barn.

Look, I do respect you, and agree with a lot of your posts. But up here, in MI? Come for a visit. I will give you the Meth tour. And introduce you to these industrious fellows. Let them tell you their story.

I don't need to see it in MI, I'm seeing right here in WI. I too have very close ties to it unfortunately. And yes, sure there are still people making it, but it isn't nearly as prevalent as you suggest. It once was, but that was a decade ago. Things have changed on the national scene and it has swayed into the hands of the Mexicans.

Meth use in Wisconsin is up 400% in the past 3 years. That huge increase isn't meth being made in grandpa's barn or the neighbors driveway.

posted on Mar, 9 2017 @ 02:50 PM
link   

You don't stop substance abuse and its economy by making it more illegal and policing.

Nor is blaming the drug economy upon Mexico (where the same drugs are just as illegal). They are taking the same response to drugs that the US is.

The proven solution to the illegal drugs issue is to decriminalise possession of drugs (leaving the sale of illegal drugs a criminal offence). Then, make the drugs available under prescription in small, tightly controlled doses (and perhaps even government subsidised). This ruins the profitability of the illegal drug economy. No one rational would risk imprisonment for no financial gain.

Dealing with the effects of substance abuse then becomes a medical issue of harm minimisation and dependence reduction.

A wall won't stop methamphetamine use while ever there is profitability in getting it across the border.

cool story bro. (you are aware that those who keep drugs like MJ on the Schedule 1 list are the ones who can tell you what your prescriptions will cost you right? ) They aren't about to let any drug be able to have availability outside of their control. Too much money involved.

You are correct in theory though. so there is that.

posted on Mar, 9 2017 @ 03:15 PM
link   

How is it that they know how many are coming here yet are unable to stop them...?

posted on Mar, 9 2017 @ 03:45 PM
link   

You're wrong about that, sorry, but it isn't made in the home nearly as much as it was 10 years ago.

that's bs, at least twice a month here on the the gulf coast you hear of a meth lab being taken down. and it always turns out to be in some trailer, hotel room, someones home and even cars. so if there's two there's bound to be more.

here is just one part of fl
Feb 2016

According to the county's drug task force, the number of meth labs found in Alachua County has risen from just 1 in 2013, to 25 in 2015. Officials already responding to 6 just this year.
"Giving people recipes on how to make meth and the ease in which it's made, that's affecting the increase," said Sgt. Yarbrough.
"Just the fact that we have to have a team that is specially trained to eradicate these laboratories is indicative of the problem," said Officer Ben Tobias with the Gainesville Police Department.
Meth lab found in Gainesville

and there's much more. you can search and find labs being busted all over the U.S.

edit on 9-3-2017 by hounddoghowlie because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 9 2017 @ 03:50 PM
link   

originally posted by: JAY1980

originally posted by: underwerks

This post wins the daily mental gymnastics award...
Are more expensive coyotes like the ones that offer a no rape assurance contract or something?

Yep. There are different levels of safety you can pay for when you are picking someone to smuggle you across the border.

It's actually a good thing to know what you're talking about.

posted on Mar, 9 2017 @ 03:54 PM
link   

originally posted by: network dude

cool story bro. (you are aware that those who keep drugs like MJ on the Schedule 1 list are the ones who can tell you what your prescriptions will cost you right? ) They aren't about to let any drug be able to have availability outside of their control. Too much money involved.

You are correct in theory though. so there is that.

We can point the finger of blame nearly everywhere, the entire system is most definitely rife with corruption. The resolution of the problem requires single minded dedication and clear-headed understanding on behalf of everyone.

When someone suggests something that is not actually going to fix things, when the solution is simple, clear and already proven, then we must show that our will is for the proven solution and we will not be distracted.

posted on Mar, 9 2017 @ 04:29 PM
link   

originally posted by: hounddoghowlie

You're wrong about that, sorry, but it isn't made in the home nearly as much as it was 10 years ago.

that's bs, at least twice a month here on the the gulf coast you hear of a meth lab being taken down. and it always turns out to be in some trailer, hotel room, someones home and even cars. so if there's two there's bound to be more.

Feb 2016

According to the county's drug task force, the number of meth labs found in Alachua County has risen from just 1 in 2013, to 25 in 2015. Officials already responding to 6 just this year.
"Giving people recipes on how to make meth and the ease in which it's made, that's affecting the increase," said Sgt. Yarbrough.
"Just the fact that we have to have a team that is specially trained to eradicate these laboratories is indicative of the problem," said Officer Ben Tobias with the Gainesville Police Department.

and there's much more. you can search and find labs being busted all over the U.S.

Shutting down meth labs, restricting precursor chemicals and arresting malefactors does not change the amount of financial gain that those criminal sources bring. In a large population, there will always be someone new to fill the vacuum while ever the reward stays.

It isn't like Breaking Bad. It doesn't take some sort of criminal genius to produce meth. Anyone who believes that the reward exceeds the risks, can procure precursors and has a basic recipe can be a potential cook.

posted on Mar, 9 2017 @ 04:36 PM
link   

Feb 2016

Shutting down meth labs, restricting precursor chemicals and arresting malefactors does not change the amount of financial gain that those criminal sources bring. In a large population, there will always be someone new to fill the vacuum while ever the reward stays.

It isn't like Breaking Bad. It doesn't take some sort of criminal genius to produce meth. Anyone who believes that the reward exceeds the risks, can procure precursors and has a basic recipe can be a potential cook.

To produce in large distributive quantities it actually does take a criminal genius. You can't just take a recipe and double it and expect the same results...similar to cooking food. You also have to have the facility to mass produced it and the distribution network to move it. We aren't talking about a home meth lab here. It a business. You'd be surprised at how much goes into a pot farm...I have a friend with 2 in Colorado and California and I can tell you it is no mom and pop operation. You have the growing, harvesting, packaging, distribution, etc...and when you get into hydroponics it's double or more what you're looking at for field operations.

To think these guys are sitting in a trailer cooking and moving $20 Million in meth is silly. The operations are actually very similar to Breaking Bad.

posted on Mar, 9 2017 @ 04:40 PM
link   

Feb 2016

Those are tiny operations that typically are in a small town and that's who they cater to...the town they live in.

Rez is talking about cartel level operations. You think coke coming from Columbia worth $194 million in a drug lord built submarine specifically for that purpose was harvested from multiple trailer processors?

These operations are massive and have the money to set up massive facilities to churn out hundreds of pounds of product quickly, not a few ounces or couple pounds every so often.

posted on Mar, 9 2017 @ 04:43 PM
link   

Feb 2016

The increase in Mexican meth and these labs you point out go hand in hand together. The Mexicans are focused on meth importation now and that has fueled the skyrocketing increase in meth heads nationwide. Of course, as more and more peeps fall into addiction, they will find whatever ways they can get their hands on it. The fact remains, tons of meth is coming across the border. Real simple to research.

posted on Mar, 9 2017 @ 04:51 PM
link   
The really interesting piece of Marijuana growing to me is the commercialization of it. The buddy I have with large grows out west has already had architectural plans drawn for when it is legalized to capitalize on the market quickly.

He is a major influencer in Aquaponics...the mixture of hydroponics and aquatic life (fish). Basically the plants slowly move down the grow trough with fish feeding on the plant byproduct, pooping and fertilizing as it moves. His idea is a "farm to table" dispensary where the consumer can actually see the growth of a particular strain through a glass window into the growery and pick it once harvestable. It's brilliant actually...

He has gone as far as to research what aquatic life is best for growth and had mineral analysts research what is the best environment and temperature for optimal growth.

To think anyone dealing in massive quantities of any substance doesn't do this is ignorant....I can't speak for the meth/coke/heroin industry, but in the high THC content Marijuana industry you will find some of the most intelligent people that have backgrounds and even PhD's in horticulture and have studied geographies and land surveys to find the best environment to grow...that takes a lot of money.

posted on Mar, 9 2017 @ 04:52 PM
link   

From 31,000 crossing in January to 18,000 in February, Homeland Security chief announces a 40% drop in illegal border crossings. Kelly said it is because of Trump's immigration policies and it's the lowest border crossing total in at least 5 years.

The Trump Effect on illegal immigration

It is also reported that apprehensions increased from 10% in January to 20% in February.

On January 25, Trump signed two executive orders. One ordered a wall to be built along the roughly 2,000-mile U.S-Mexico border. It also provided additional resources to DHS to stop people intending to “illegally enter the United States without inspection or admission,” and called for an additional 5,000 border agents.

These significant numbers are already happening and there are still plans to hire 5,000 more agents, and build a wall.

The second order reinstated the Secure Communities Program, which ICE uses to target undocumented immigrants. It also instructed the State Department to “withhold visas or take other measures to ensure countries take back the undocumented immigrants the U.S. sends back, and also strips federal grant money from sanctuary cities that harbor undocumented immigrants

What other effects shall we see from these tough immigration policies? Hopefully, we'll see a dent in the meth epidemic plaguing our communities all across America. Here in my neck of the woods, it's out of control. Just the other day a couple was arrested for smoking meth in their home with three young children inside, ages 7, 2 and 10 months. Thankfully those kids have been rescued. Also, spoke with a teacher in our schools recently who said they are seeing the effects on the children. A 3rd grade student has lost nearly all his teeth already, terribly sad.

Meth is destroying countless families in this country. People who don't think building a wall will help reduce the flow of this drug into our country are naive.

Sorry for the rant on drugs in an immigration thread, but I think the two go hand in hand.

Third graders lose their teeth. This is natural. Then adult teeth come in. It's a part of life.

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3 >>

join