It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

40 percent fewer illegals crossing the border from January to February

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:
+6 more 
posted on Mar, 9 2017 @ 12:19 PM
link   
From 31,000 crossing in January to 18,000 in February, Homeland Security chief announces a 40% drop in illegal border crossings. Kelly said it is because of Trump's immigration policies and it's the lowest border crossing total in at least 5 years.

The Trump Effect on illegal immigration

It is also reported that apprehensions increased from 10% in January to 20% in February.

On January 25, Trump signed two executive orders. One ordered a wall to be built along the roughly 2,000-mile U.S-Mexico border. It also provided additional resources to DHS to stop people intending to “illegally enter the United States without inspection or admission,” and called for an additional 5,000 border agents.

These significant numbers are already happening and there are still plans to hire 5,000 more agents, and build a wall.

The second order reinstated the Secure Communities Program, which ICE uses to target undocumented immigrants. It also instructed the State Department to “withhold visas or take other measures to ensure countries take back the undocumented immigrants the U.S. sends back, and also strips federal grant money from sanctuary cities that harbor undocumented immigrants

What other effects shall we see from these tough immigration policies? Hopefully, we'll see a dent in the meth epidemic plaguing our communities all across America. Here in my neck of the woods, it's out of control. Just the other day a couple was arrested for smoking meth in their home with three young children inside, ages 7, 2 and 10 months. Thankfully those kids have been rescued. Also, spoke with a teacher in our schools recently who said they are seeing the effects on the children. A 3rd grade student has lost nearly all his teeth already, terribly sad.

Meth is destroying countless families in this country. People who don't think building a wall will help reduce the flow of this drug into our country are naive.

Sorry for the rant on drugs in an immigration thread, but I think the two go hand in hand.

edit on 9-3-2017 by Rezlooper because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 9 2017 @ 12:25 PM
link   
a reply to: Rezlooper

The Trump effect is so far psychological. It works...

Have you been Trumped?

posted on Mar, 9 2017 @ 12:35 PM
link   

1): I live along the border in Texas and the Border Patrol has dramatically increased its patrols and check points. So, yea, huge ramp up by law enforcement. And that includes the County Sherriffs and State Police.

2): This will have NO effect on Meth use or production. I live in an area where Meth use is an out of control epidemic. But.............at least as far as the demand side, its largely and near exclusively made and used by the Anglo community. Our area is 70% Hispanic, 29.5% Anglo and .5% Black. From the police blotter we see Anglo's arrested for Meth, either possession, sale or manufacture; we see Hispanics arrested for Marijuana, Cocaine and Heroine. I rarely ever see a report of crimes committed by Blacks............they represent only .5% of the population. When I do, its invariably for murder or DUI.

I have no solution for the Meth epidemic except to let it burn itself out. Incarceration only gives the user a respite long enough to recover enough health to re-offend and dive back into Meth when Paroled. Better to legalize it and have the government make it and sell it. The Meth population would be wiped out in 3~5 years and the Government would take in a lot of money.

The report from Texas.

posted on Mar, 9 2017 @ 12:44 PM
link   

I don't buy those numbers NOR the ones saying numbers have been dropping for decades...

How exactly do you accurately track something that is illegal???

You can't..

You can track symptoms like arrests..

But is it that less are comming or that less are arrested?

There are too many variables to know.

That said, they have been saying it was dropping for decades, so either way I would be surprised if trump has more than a fraction of any change.

posted on Mar, 9 2017 @ 12:47 PM
link   
Personally I think it just shows how inept the previous administration was regarding this matter and more importantly how much they cared for the well being of the "legal" US citizens.

Also I find it absurd that people speak of illegal entry as a "non matter", it makes the legal channels of immigration farcical..

Good hope it continues......

RA
edit on 9-3-2017 by slider1982 because: added

posted on Mar, 9 2017 @ 12:47 PM
link   

So, they count them but don't stop them?

posted on Mar, 9 2017 @ 12:50 PM
link   

originally posted by: TonyS

1): I live along the border in Texas and the Border Patrol has dramatically increased its patrols and check points. So, yea, huge ramp up by law enforcement. And that includes the County Sherriffs and State Police.

2): This will have NO effect on Meth use or production. I live in an area where Meth use is an out of control epidemic. But.............at least as far as the demand side, its largely and near exclusively made and used by the Anglo community. Our area is 70% Hispanic, 29.5% Anglo and .5% Black. From the police blotter we see Anglo's arrested for Meth, either possession, sale or manufacture; we see Hispanics arrested for Marijuana, Cocaine and Heroine. I rarely ever see a report of crimes committed by Blacks............they represent only .5% of the population. When I do, its invariably for murder or DUI.

I have no solution for the Meth epidemic except to let it burn itself out. Incarceration only gives the user a respite long enough to recover enough health to re-offend and dive back into Meth when Paroled. Better to legalize it and have the government make it and sell it. The Meth population would be wiped out in 3~5 years and the Government would take in a lot of money.

The report from Texas.

Several years ago the government began cracking down on the ability to manufacture meth, by making it difficult to get the ingredients. At that time, the Mexican cartels moved in on the industry and began mass producing meth and shipping it into the states. Please do the research, this is fact. The number one illegal export product for the cartels is meth, not coc aine anymore. The cartels don't have to be the middle man with meth, they can manufacture it themselves versus paying for coc aine from the Colombians. It is by far cheaper for them and they make much more money on meth.

The result in the drug market today is that meth is cheaper and far easier to get than coc aine. The demand is high for meth and not so much for coc aine. My hope is that as the border gets much more difficult to cross, especially for drug smugglers, there will be less meth in the states, thereby, driving up the price because the demand will remain high. As supply decreases unable to meet demand, the price will go up making it much more discouraging for the users. The end result... Literally hundreds of thousands of children across America will once again live in safer homes.

posted on Mar, 9 2017 @ 12:54 PM
link   

originally posted by: slider1982
Personally I think it just shows how inept the previous administration was regarding this matter and more importantly how much they cared for the well being of the "legal" US citizens.

The previous administration, if he could've gotten away with it, would have sent every border agent home indefinitely and built a few nicely paved highways crossing the border with huge flashing green lights!

posted on Mar, 9 2017 @ 01:00 PM
link   

Thanks for the info. I wondered about the supply side and thought it possible you were hinting at that aspect.

Uh, yea...........sorry to tell you but the flow of Meth into the US by the Cartels will be altogether unaffected. I can't say too much, but suffice it to say........they own the pipeline and pay to ensure its left entirely alone.

posted on Mar, 9 2017 @ 01:02 PM
link   

Sorry for the rant on drugs in an immigration thread

No apologies needed. If you have seen as many documentaries as I have you would know the extraordinary lengths these dealers go to to get drugs across the border-they use catapults for Pete's sake.

These dealers use fresh water from the melting glaciers and rural fresh water rivers to grow the coca and then refine them using miles of cable. It's brilliant but evil.

posted on Mar, 9 2017 @ 01:04 PM
link   

originally posted by: Rezlooper

originally posted by: slider1982

The previous administration, if he could've gotten away with it, would have sent every border agent home indefinitely and built a few nicely paved highways crossing the border with huge flashing green lights!

Brother I currently live in the UK, or as it is better known "The Demographic republic of Third world Britain"...

I know what the plan was for the USA, I live the nightmare here daily...

RA
edit on 9-3-2017 by slider1982 because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 9 2017 @ 01:08 PM
link   

You don't stop substance abuse and its economy by making it more illegal and policing.

That approach hasn't worked.

Nor is blaming the drug economy upon Mexico (where the same drugs are just as illegal). They are taking the same response to drugs that the US is.

The proven solution to the illegal drugs issue is to decriminalise possession of drugs (leaving the sale of illegal drugs a criminal offence). Then, make the drugs available under prescription in small, tightly controlled doses (and perhaps even government subsidised). This ruins the profitability of the illegal drug economy. No one rational would risk imprisonment for no financial gain.

Dealing with the effects of substance abuse then becomes a medical issue of harm minimisation and dependence reduction.

A wall won't stop methamphetamine use while ever there is profitability in getting it across the border.

edit on 9/3/2017 by chr0naut because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 9 2017 @ 01:09 PM
link   

The report from Texas.

Several years ago the government began cracking down on the ability to manufacture meth, by making it difficult to get the ingredients. At that time, the Mexican cartels moved in on the industry and began mass producing meth and shipping it into the states. Please do the research, this is fact. The number one illegal export product for the cartels is meth, not coc aine anymore. The cartels don't have to be the middle man with meth, they can manufacture it themselves versus paying for coc aine from the Colombians. It is by far cheaper for them and they make much more money on meth.

The result in the drug market today is that meth is cheaper and far easier to get than coc aine. The demand is high for meth and not so much for coc aine. My hope is that as the border gets much more difficult to cross, especially for drug smugglers, there will be less meth in the states, thereby, driving up the price because the demand will remain high. As supply decreases unable to meet demand, the price will go up making it much more discouraging for the users. The end result... Literally hundreds of thousands of children across America will once again live in safer homes.

Literally hundreds of thousands of children across America will once again live in safer homes.

For common sense, not propaganda.

posted on Mar, 9 2017 @ 01:12 PM
link   

originally posted by: chr0naut

You don't stop substance abuse and its economy by making it more illegal and policing.

That approach hasn't worked.

Nor is blaming the drug economy upon Mexico (where the same drugs are just as illegal). They are taking the same response to drugs that the US is.

The proven solution to the illegal drugs issue is to decriminalise possession of drugs (leaving the sale of illegal drugs a criminal offence). Then, make the drugs available under prescription in small, tightly controlled doses (and perhaps even government subsidised). This ruins the profitability of the illegal drug economy. No one rational would risk imprisonment for no financial gain.

Dealing with the effects of substance abuse then becomes a medical issue of harm minimisation and dependence reduction.

A wall won't stop methamphetamine use while ever there is profitability in getting it across the border.

I explained in my post how tough immigration policy will help stop meth. To legalize meth is completely insane. I'm a huge supporter of legalizing mary jane, but come on, meth? One has to draw a line somewhere. Have you actually seen the impacts of this drug on anyone, let alone children living in the homes of methheads? Completely irrational to consider legalizing meth use.

posted on Mar, 9 2017 @ 01:19 PM
link   

The report from Texas.

Breaking Bad was a rather accurate portrayal of what happened actually. Though likely not in such a fancy lab, the production in Mexico is huge.

posted on Mar, 9 2017 @ 01:22 PM
link   

originally posted by: Thecakeisalie

Sorry for the rant on drugs in an immigration thread

No apologies needed. If you have seen as many documentaries as I have you would know the extraordinary lengths these dealers go to to get drugs across the border-they use catapults for Pete's sake.

These dealers use fresh water from the melting glaciers and rural fresh water rivers to grow the coca and then refine them using miles of cable. It's brilliant but evil.

Screw Mexico's catapults...what intrigues me is the Colombian Drug Submarines...now that is some 007 $hit right there.

posted on Mar, 9 2017 @ 01:27 PM
link   

From 31,000 crossing in January to 18,000 in February, Homeland Security chief announces a 40% drop in illegal border crossings. Kelly said it is because of Trump's immigration policies and it's the lowest border crossing total in at least 5 years.

The Trump Effect on illegal immigration

It is also reported that apprehensions increased from 10% in January to 20% in February.

On January 25, Trump signed two executive orders. One ordered a wall to be built along the roughly 2,000-mile U.S-Mexico border. It also provided additional resources to DHS to stop people intending to “illegally enter the United States without inspection or admission,” and called for an additional 5,000 border agents.

These significant numbers are already happening and there are still plans to hire 5,000 more agents, and build a wall.

The second order reinstated the Secure Communities Program, which ICE uses to target undocumented immigrants. It also instructed the State Department to “withhold visas or take other measures to ensure countries take back the undocumented immigrants the U.S. sends back, and also strips federal grant money from sanctuary cities that harbor undocumented immigrants

What other effects shall we see from these tough immigration policies? Hopefully, we'll see a dent in the meth epidemic plaguing our communities all across America. Here in my neck of the woods, it's out of control. Just the other day a couple was arrested for smoking meth in their home with three young children inside, ages 7, 2 and 10 months. Thankfully those kids have been rescued. Also, spoke with a teacher in our schools recently who said they are seeing the effects on the children. A 3rd grade student has lost nearly all his teeth already, terribly sad.

Meth is destroying countless families in this country. People who don't think building a wall will help reduce the flow of this drug into our country are naive.

Sorry for the rant on drugs in an immigration thread, but I think the two go hand in hand.

My guess is we will see unemployment fairly drastically within a few years. If illegals aren't getting in and are getting deported then companies will be forced to pay higher wages for US citizens, or at the very least, legally hire citizens on payroll for tax purposes which will reflect a equivalent boom in the unemployed becoming employed.

As it was under Obama, as soon as your benefits ran out you weren't considered unemployed anymore...so you didn't count in the numbers. We will likely see them stay flat for a bit until companies that use illegals start taking a hit on net income and have to hire legally.

posted on Mar, 9 2017 @ 01:27 PM
link   

Its working already.

Trump doesnt even necessarily have to have laws in place to make a difference.

The mere suggestion that he intends to crack down is changing minds.

Thank you President Trump!

posted on Mar, 9 2017 @ 01:50 PM
link   

Thanks for the info. I wondered about the supply side and thought it possible you were hinting at that aspect.

Uh, yea...........sorry to tell you but the flow of Meth into the US by the Cartels will be altogether unaffected. I can't say too much, but suffice it to say........they own the pipeline and pay to ensure its left entirely alone.

It will affect it. They don't have to pay too much right now to insure their pipeline because up until Trump, there's been nearly a free flow across the border. A good chunk of this illegal border crossing are Mexicans carrying drugs. You stop that free flow, you stop one easy accessible distribution method of the cartels. Of course, they will find other means, but at a cost. This is a good thing.

Edit to Add: Tough policies will include plugging the tunnels that currently are known and the ones they will discover as 5,000 more agents patrol the border.
edit on 9-3-2017 by Rezlooper because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 9 2017 @ 01:50 PM
link   
Umm..... While I am very happy with the results so far, and agree with most of your post, I have to respectfully disagree with your meth assumption.

I am anything BUT naive when it comes to this issue, in fact, unfortunately, I have intimate, family knowledge of this F::::: life wrecking drug.
It is too damn easy to make. Period. And people were getting very little help, until recently, in our little rural area, they were just being thrown in Jail. Finally, someone woke up, and decided to give them a choice of rehab or jail. Thank God, the Goddess, whomever!

So, while along the border, it may help with the meth crisis, up here in little podunk USA, it isn't going to. They just make it themselves.

Sorry didn't mean for this to turn into a rant. Just that meth is a sore subject for me.

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join