It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The cost of Iraq is about to surpass Vietnam

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 1 2005 @ 03:46 PM
link   
300 billion would only take a year to earn back, the benefits will far exceed the cost and we'll probably earn more profit than the 300 billion we lost.

posted on Feb, 1 2005 @ 10:37 PM
link   

Originally posted by namehere
300 billion would only take a year to earn back, the benefits will far exceed the cost and we'll probably earn more profit than the 300 billion we lost.

And what is this $300 billion a year going to come from? Whoring out the last remaining oil reserves to desperate countries that need to fuel their third world country? I don’t think so man. Despite what you believe, $300 billion isn’t that easy to come by.

posted on Feb, 1 2005 @ 11:59 PM
link   

Originally posted by wecomeinpeace
Only cost that matters to me is the human cost. It hasn't surpassed Vietnam yet, but it's still early.

I doubt the death toll in Iraq will ever reach as high as Vietnam's. The reason being that Iraq had a fledgling and incapable military when we invaded. The only opposition now is comprised of mainly terrorists. Vietnam, on the other hand, had an organized military ready to conduct full scale assaults and such.

Terrorists can only pick out 4-5 guys per attack. An organized offensive can take out overwhelming amounts at a single time.

posted on Feb, 2 2005 @ 12:06 AM
link   

Originally posted by namehere

You clearly have no grasp of the US financial crisis and federal/trade deficits. If the government even considers that $300 billion easy to earn back, you can expect heavy taxation in the near future.

Also, what benefits? Firstly, let me inform you that Iraq does not set the price on oil. Many factors come into play, and US companies drilling there will hardly make a significant difference. We will soon be in so many billion dollars of debt that we will implode financially. And that oil we're drilling over there won't compensate for our debt much either.

posted on Feb, 2 2005 @ 12:33 AM
link   

Originally posted by esdad71
$39000 Cost of a modfied M-4 for use in Afghanistan for special forces, this doesn't go into anything esle (body armor, electornics,etc) that could put the cost of fielding a soldier to over 100,000

Are you saying that an M-4, modified or otherwise, cost $39,000?

posted on Feb, 2 2005 @ 12:37 AM
link   
Simulacra

I don't know what your major malfunction is, but your harping on the oil reserves of Iraq is about as irresponsible as any dead horse you could choose to flog. I think you qualify as either one of the most uninformed members around or one of the most malicious.

[edit on 05/2/2 by GradyPhilpott]

posted on Feb, 2 2005 @ 07:17 AM
link   
nationaldefense.ndia.org...

Another concern is the cost of each OICW. The estimated unit price for each OICW has increased, from $10,000 in 1995 to between $15,000 to $18,000 most recently, Bierman acknowledged. A more realistic comparison, he said, would be between the OICW and an older weapon with all of the add-ons, Bierman said. An M4 so equipped would cost $39,000, he noted.

Here is the artcile Grady, I was making a reference to the cost of weapons in this day and age. The OICW and hte XM-29(?) are also going to cost through the roof, but if we have the technology we should give it to our soldiers.

[edit on 2-2-2005 by esdad71]

[edit on 2-2-2005 by esdad71]

posted on Feb, 2 2005 @ 07:45 AM
link   
That specific program is still under research and current testing, esdad71.

seekerof

posted on Feb, 3 2005 @ 02:28 AM
link   

Originally posted by GradyPhilpott
Simulacra
I think you qualify as either one of the most uninformed members around or one of the most malicious.

Take a look at the history of my post over the last few months. I think you will be able to tell.

posted on Feb, 3 2005 @ 10:11 AM
link   

Originally posted by GradyPhilpott
I think you qualify as either one of the most uninformed members around or one of the most malicious.

What's that saying about the pot and the kettle again?

...or was it glass houses and stones. I forget.

posted on Feb, 3 2005 @ 12:19 PM
link   
Pot
calling the kettle
black....That is too funny.

Again, I will ask, as I do in all posts where Grady appears, do you have a comment on the thread itself? and did you get the link I posted that you asked for?

Technology on todays battlefields is incredible.

new topics

<< 1   >>

join