It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The cost of Iraq is about to surpass Vietnam

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 1 2005 @ 03:09 AM
link   
It's not so easy to take over a country. At least not financially. Financial experts suggest that we will surpass the cost of Vietnam in about 2-3 years. We were made to believe that Iraq would be a thrifty garage-sale bargain. Looks like we are wrong.

Is it really worth $300,000,000,000 to secure the world's last remaining oil reserve?

The fresh $80 billion just requested by President Bush pushes the war costs of Iraq and the amazing shrinking asterisk of Afghanistan (Osama been where?) past the $300 billion mark.

The estimated cost of Vietnam in current dollars was $584 billion, according to the Congressional Research Office. Iraq has already cost more in current dollars than either the Civil War or World War I. It is about to pass the Korean War. We are on pace to pass Vietnam in two or three years.

As Bush appears dead set on certifying Iraq's elections, even if it has the credibility of the Florida recount, his $80 billion brings us closer to certifying Iraq as, in financial terms, the most terrifying war on terror in American history.
www.boston.com...

posted on Feb, 1 2005 @ 03:21 AM
link   
umm yes, it is worth it. And of course this is going to cost more than Vietnam..What would a hundred dollars buy you 1969, compared to now? A new house probably cost around 5 grand to. Id like to see a comparisson that included inflation. Also remember the technology that we have today compared to 'nam. Im sure the cost to outfit a soldier today is astronomical compared to then.

posted on Feb, 1 2005 @ 03:23 AM
link   

Originally posted by spliff4020
And of course this is going to cost more than Vietnam..What would a hundred dollars buy you 1969, compared to now? A new house probably cost around 5 grand to. Id like to see a comparisson that included inflation. Also remember the technology that we have today compared to 'nam. Im sure the cost to outfit a soldier today is astronomical compared to then.

I really wish you would have read the entire article before commenting. Inflation is taken into factor.

posted on Feb, 1 2005 @ 04:47 AM
link   
Yes but what is the price of freedom

posted on Feb, 1 2005 @ 05:09 AM
link   
I wonder what the iranian invasion will cost , while keeping control in iraq will suck money for years to come ????

Not that companies like Raytheon or Exxon are hurt in any way by this, they post record earning while your social security, healthcare and education is going down the drain...

[edit on 1-2-2005 by Countermeasures]

posted on Feb, 1 2005 @ 09:24 AM
link   
Only cost that matters to me is the human cost. It hasn't surpassed Vietnam yet, but it's still early.

Vietnam War
www.war-stories.com...

Allied Combatants killed in Action: 1,382,430 (125,675/year)
Allied Combatants wounded in Action: 1,772,465 (161,133/year)
Allied Combatants MIA/POW: 2,503

Vietnamese Civilians killed (Vietnam Govt est.): 2,000,000
Allied Civilians killed: 1,000 (est.)

Iraq War
www.globalsecurity.org...

US Combatants killed: 1,449 (725/year - more "efficient" at least
)
US Combatants wounded: 10,372 (5186/year)

www.mykeru.com...
Iraqi Civilians killed (min.): 14,770

As to the veracity of these sources, you can decide for yourself.

posted on Feb, 1 2005 @ 09:32 AM
link   
It is worth that much as a staging point in a supply line when you attack Iran. The 'cost' should be shown in number of dead, as wecomeinpeace stated.

The fact that the death ratio is now 1000 to 1 compared to Vietnam, is staggering. There were more MIA/POW's then dead in Iraq.

posted on Feb, 1 2005 @ 10:50 AM
link   
I think youre right, esdad71. I think the lives spared on both sides of the conflict don't even approach the scale of Vietnam. I think the money is worth it in that respect.

posted on Feb, 1 2005 @ 10:59 AM
link   

Originally posted by Simulacra
Is it really worth $300,000,000,000 to secure the world's last remaining oil reserve?

yes.. until we can run everything without oil. with it being a natural resource, once it's gone... it's gone.

posted on Feb, 1 2005 @ 11:39 AM
link   

Originally posted by chesterkat

yes.. until we can run everything without oil. with it being a natural resource, once it's gone... it's gone.

It should be a huge neon-lighted hint saying that we should look to another viable alternative besides Fossil Fuels.

posted on Feb, 1 2005 @ 11:44 AM
link   
lol....note no corresponding data on inflation either....

note also that the death toll in Viet nam and in Iraq are nowhere near matching.....
hmmm, just another number cruncher tring to scare people, lol...

posted on Feb, 1 2005 @ 11:54 AM
link   

Originally posted by jlc163
lol....note no corresponding data on inflation either....

They accounted for inflation in the article.
The dollar cost for the Vietnam war was $111 billion.
The Iraq war will be more than triple that.

The article is saying that if it continues to rise, it may exceed the inflation adjusted figure.

As far as the death toll, if you look at the death toll for Vietnam, it started out low.

Casualties By Year
1961-1965:
US Forces Kia 1,864, WIA 7,337, MIA 18

1966:
US Forces KIA 5,008, WIA 29,992, MIA 61

www.rjsmith.com...

As you can see, the death toll didn't start rising really high until years after it began.

[edit on 1-2-2005 by AceOfBase]

posted on Feb, 1 2005 @ 11:55 AM
link   
Just a quick note to anyone that decides to comment on this thread:
The cost of inflation was taken into factor in the above article

posted on Feb, 1 2005 @ 12:30 PM
link   
It's amazing how we can spend that much money without actually being in a 'war' compared to as the cost of vietnam with that many soldiers killed. Then again technology and cost of products has increased since then, but my god, we should've liberated that place by now.

I saw on television (wasn't paying close attention) that the monthly cost of being in iraq is close to 5 billion?

posted on Feb, 1 2005 @ 01:49 PM
link   
Here you go.......

$120 WW2 paratrooper with all he can carry plus a rifle, get on the boat

$1200 vietnam you got a M14, some cigerettes, a helmet and some fatigues, maybe a set of NVG's

$39000 Cost of a modfied M-4 for use in Afghanistan for special forces, this doesn't go into anything esle (body armor, electornics,etc) that could put the cost of fielding a soldier to over 100,000

Seeing your loved one come home from combat, unscathed....PRICELESS!!!!!!!!!

posted on Feb, 1 2005 @ 02:45 PM
link   

Originally posted by esdad71
Here you go.......

$120 WW2 paratrooper with all he can carry plus a rifle, get on the boat

$1200 vietnam you got a M14, some cigerettes, a helmet and some fatigues, maybe a set of NVG's

$39000 Cost of a modfied M-4 for use in Afghanistan for special forces, this doesn't go into anything esle (body armor, electornics,etc) that could put the cost of fielding a soldier to over 100,000

Seeing your loved one come home from combat, unscathed....PRICELESS!!!!!!!!!

$20,000 for the cost of a solider is for housing, training and other. Your right though $90,000 is about closer to the average cost of the soilder. However, that allows them also to use their money they earn to shop at PX stores. These stores set up in all states are for issuing Military Issue Gear and food for their Miltary familys to survive on so that the military does not have to pay out of their pocket to feed the soilder and their family directly, while making profit to replenish these PX stores. However, seeing that a Military family can usually have 2-6 children on average, be thankful your money does not get spent on keeping them afloat while their family members are off in battle.

Gear such as plating is issued by government and military and is provided for with standard issued combat uniforms. As you should know all the soldiers get one issued outfit, that is it. If they need replacements, badges, jackets, boots, laces, starch, hats, covers, socks, and any other excessory that goes with it...its off to the PX they send their wife while they are at battle.

Armored plating is one defense that is issued straight from base. Nor are you premitted to take it off base (which few restrictions bases, enforces, more so with reserves). With financial cutbacks due to lack there of support for funding Prewar times, it caused older plating to be disguarded and reused for other projects due to lack their of fund for replenshing the articles.

"Coffin Cars" as many soldiers that drive open UV's (that are armored plated), to take dead siding off of bullet ridden failures and weld them on to the back hatch of open uv's to form a safer enviorment. However if funding was approved, many of these people whom ride in these types of make shift cover could be riding in atleast maintained vehicles.

One more factor in cost. The helocopters, Humvies and many other vehicles have been rusted from the power of the sand. The sand whips around so much that it sand blasts things, moisture ends up building up and rusting the material. Reserve Units from Johnstown PA, stationed in Falujia had to replace almost 2 helecopters upon arrival due to the machinary not used to an urban setting such as that.

The cost per a peson in war should not be limited in my eye, however I realize it must be. For a person, who willingly joined the military to support the United States in times of need, INSTEAD of times of Education and when it didnt affect their 2 weekends of parting a year....I denouce my support for any military person(s) that join the military to take up my money for Uncle Sam to pay for them to go to school, then bitch and complain about them not wanting to be there.

I would give my left knee, and better eye sight to be a Marine. I would pay THEM to let me be a Marine (directly!).

No, you know what, we dont pay enough...

posted on Feb, 1 2005 @ 02:55 PM
link   
You do understand I was trying to state that fact that we spend more and have less death, right?

... there is no price to put on death, but it is done everyday. ...

and You are correct, weekedn warriors who wanted to skate by and go to school, I apologize, but this is not the boy scouts.

posted on Feb, 1 2005 @ 03:06 PM
link   

Originally posted by esdad71
You do understand I was trying to state that fact that we spend more and have less death, right?

... there is no price to put on death, but it is done everyday. ...

and You are correct, weekedn warriors who wanted to skate by and go to school, I apologize, but this is not the boy scouts.

I was yelled at already by using to much space on these boards so Ill keep it short and more sweet than it was...I know, and I was also trying to show where most of the costs went to besides giving a generic descirption. I am all for war...lol I am a military brat; BUT I am not gun happy. There is a difference

posted on Feb, 1 2005 @ 03:15 PM
link   

Ummm. How much do you pay for gas?

..and did you know, Exxon Mobil's production is down, but profits are up 17% - and now are over $25.3 billion...
Suckers.

www.atsnn.com...

[edit on 1-2-2005 by soficrow]

posted on Feb, 1 2005 @ 03:29 PM
link   

Originally posted by soficrow

Ummm. How much do you pay for gas?

..and did you know, Exxon Mobil's production is down, but profits are up 17% - and now are over $25.3 billion...
Suckers.

www.atsnn.com...

[edit on 1-2-2005 by soficrow]

Actully I take the bus to work, I am with in walking distance to my grocery store and when I go to my night job I that is the only time I use the car. If I am lucky I can get 500 miles for $12-15 and that is usually every 2 weeks. As for everyone else, how would I know...lol

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join