It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Misphonia

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 9 2017 @ 06:56 PM
link   
Interestingly lots of people suffer from it. I read some workplace blogs and it's recommended if you suffer from it to let HR know and invoke ADA accommodations. Some solutions given are moving your cubicle or moving the offender in the office.

Sorry to hear you are afflicted!!

posted on Mar, 10 2017 @ 06:23 AM
link   

originally posted by: VegHead

Misophonia isn't just being grossed out or annoyed with the sound of someone chewing. This type of thing could certainly be improved with exposure. Misophonia, however, is much more severe and neurological in nature.

(Snipped for this quote)

Very true. Maybe I don't quite understand the degree of sensation a real misophonia sufferer endures. It sounds like it's completely horrible after reading the rest of the thread. At first I thought it was just an "unusual" annoyance with those sounds... but I guess it's a lot worse than that.

I'll have to do some more deep research on the subject!

posted on Mar, 10 2017 @ 11:14 AM
link   

originally posted by: AugustusMasonicus

originally posted by: LightSpeedDriver
Personally, and no offence to the member in question, but I have my doubts as to whether working next to AugustusMasonicus would be better considering all those cocktails and fancy food threads I've read of his....

It would be. Plus I chew with my mouth closed and don't slurp my drinks.

Please excuse the failed comedy attempt that lacked the punchline which I have meanwhile forgotten. Somewhere between my brain and the keyboard a good portion of the words had fallen away and the rest was just...other words that didn't quite get to the point I'd forgotten. All that without cocktails Thank Dog it's Friday

ETA: After some thought, I do remember it was supposed to be a fart joke. Yeah...
edit on 10/3/17 by LightSpeedDriver because: ETA

edit on 10/3/17 by LightSpeedDriver because: Typo

posted on Mar, 10 2017 @ 01:41 PM
link   
a reply to: LightSpeedDriver

Go have a beer. Or three.

posted on Mar, 13 2017 @ 01:09 PM
link   
All great comments and feedback! Maybe I will speak with HR and get my own office!

Meanwhile, there was a girl on the train this morning that I wanted to toss right out the window! She was sitting there eating her overnight-oats and making clinking sounds with the spoon in the mason jar, AND she was slurping and smacking her lips. It was all I could do to sit there and not punch her directly in the face!

posted on Mar, 13 2017 @ 01:15 PM
link   
a reply to: Scorpiogurl

Do you have a problem when people drag the fork against their teeth when eating? It makes me homicidal.

posted on May, 30 2017 @ 10:46 PM
link   
I don't have any idea about this kind of condition of a person, not until now. Well, what I hate most is the sound of scratching on a chalkboard. I think its pretty usual for us to feel odd whenever we hear something irritating to our ears because it just gives us the nerves to stop it or maybe run from it. Another sound I hate the most is when you drag a chair in the floor specially if the chair is made of steel, its just really annoying and nerve-wracking at times.

posted on Feb, 1 2019 @ 09:31 PM
link   
a reply to: Scorpiogurl

I hate, positively HATE, bored people with a ball point pen!! That mindless clicking makes me violent to the point where I want to punch them!

Chewing food with your mouth open is a close second. And I have worked with groups of IT people from India where that was normal.

Next on my list, bad whistling. So many people do it and have never been told to stop!

The reason I have bumped this thread is the worst one of all: people who suck their teeth!! GAH!! I would get banned if I really let loose. I have songs on my phone to drown them out (what I doing right now!)

And it is “misophonia” but that is cool! Count me as someone who hates mindless noises because one is bored because I DON’T F*** CARE!!! Get over it and clear the shared airspace!

top topics

<< 1   >>

join