It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Burger-flipping robot replaces humans on first day at work (video)

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Mar, 9 2017 @ 08:51 AM
link   
This is why I think we will have to redefine labor in this Country and throughout the world. Automation and A.I. will simply do jobs better and faster than humans over time. Think of all the transportation jobs that could be replaced with self driving cars, trucks and buses. This could also affect C.E.O.'s because you can have A.I. Virtual C.E.O.'s that are more effective, can interact with every employee and you don't have to pay it millions of dollars.

You add in 3D printing where a person can be on vacation, see a watch they like, take a picture of it, hit print on their phone and when they get home the watch is waiting for them. What will that do to commerce when you can just print a Papa John's Pizza instead of ordering one?

A burger-flipping robot has just completed its first day on the job at a restaurant in California, replacing humans at the grill.

Flippy has mastered the art of cooking the perfect burger and has just started work at CaliBurger, a fast-food chain/

The robotic kitchen assistant, which its makers say can be installed in just five minutes, is the brainchild of Miso Robotics.

“Much like self-driving vehicles, our system continuously learns from its experiences to improve over time,” said David Zito, chief executive officer of Miso Robotics.

“Though we are starting with the relatively 'simple' task of cooking burgers, our proprietary AI software allows our kitchen assistants to be adaptable and therefore can be trained to help with almost any dull, dirty or dangerous task in a commercial kitchen — whether it's frying chicken, cutting vegetables or final plating.”

www.telegraph.co.uk...

Here's a video:

I agree with Elon Musk when he talks about a universal basic income.

"There is a pretty good chance we end up with a universal basic income, or something like that, due to automation," says Musk to CNBC. "Yeah, I am not sure what else one would do. I think that is what would happen."

www.cnbc.com...

Eventually, it will have to go further than that. I would say just about everything will need to be free and everyone will live a more affluent lifestyle because A.I. and Robots will do everything for us.

posted on Mar, 9 2017 @ 09:09 AM
link   
a reply to: neoholographic

I think corporations will chose to make less money and produce less products, so they can still employ humans out of the goodness of their black little corporate hearts...

That is the point of capitalism right??

To do what's best for society instead of doing what is most profitable for their company..

Because big buisness has always been trust worthy..

#ishouldnthavetopayforthat

#governmentistheproblem

#deregulateeverything

posted on Mar, 9 2017 @ 09:23 AM
link   
Gee, taking away the jobs of our teenagers sucks. We already got problems with older people forced to take these jobs because there aren't enough factory jobs were taking the teenagers jobs.

Now, you would have to have someone overlooking that expensive robot, couldn't that person just by flipping the burgers instead of watching.

posted on Mar, 9 2017 @ 09:31 AM
link   
a reply to: JoshuaCox

We could end up like Metropolis where all useful technology moves upwardly into the hands of the elite.

We,d all be in the basement shovelling coal to feed the machines.

Yeah, I know, not coal but I was being metaphorical. Any kind of equality for future populations will mean those at the top have to move DOWN because we can't all move UP.

None of the advancements in technology have really provided us with any luxurious, leisurely lifestyles yet.

Just fewer jobs to sustain the same people. Until those at the top really want to give it all up for equality, it might be best to get good at something that machines haven't yet mastered.
edit on 9-3-2017 by Tulpa because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 9 2017 @ 09:56 AM
link   

Either this sort of thing needs to be banned, or the people and government need to accept that we are no longer living in a time where basing ones access to goods and services on ones ability to pay for them by working, can be sustained or justified.

posted on Mar, 9 2017 @ 10:20 AM
link   
So they made a robot to do a proses that has been obsolete for 10 years grats gg we lose

No really ask any of the big fast food places u pot burger in a 2x sided cook top press a button cooked burger

Wall it is neat cool and so on but atm a giant toaster wins

I was expecting it to replace the cook and make a burger

One day maby robots can make food even than tho low end tasteless food

I don't think they can replace a human cook the same as they can't replace a artist

posted on Mar, 9 2017 @ 10:25 AM
link   
a reply to: markovian

markovian,

If you knew a damned thing about how most burger joints on the planet operate, you would know that it is only a relative few which use the two sided heating method.

Most places either have a hot plate, or cook over an open flame with a grill over the top of it, one side at a time. These methods, particularly the hot plate system, are far more versatile than what amounts to an oversized George Foreman Grill, which is why they are used.

posted on Mar, 9 2017 @ 10:38 AM
link   
Unless it also spits in the onion rings - Do not want.

posted on Mar, 9 2017 @ 12:02 PM
link   
Where's this guy supposed to work now?

posted on Mar, 9 2017 @ 12:05 PM
link   
Flippy will have to be cleaned buy a human, flipping raw meat all day can't be a good thing for a robot, it doesn't really replace anyone and seems pointless. Plus you might get extra grease from industrial lubricants.....

posted on Mar, 9 2017 @ 12:08 PM
link   

originally posted by: imitator
Flippy will have to be cleaned buy a human, flipping raw meat all day can't be a good thing for a robot, it doesn't really replace anyone and seems pointless. Plus you might get extra grease from industrial lubricants.....

One guy can clean 10 machines replacing 9 jobs...

Just like the plow meant it took less people to till a field.

posted on Mar, 9 2017 @ 12:19 PM
link   
a reply to: JoshuaCox

Most fast food usually have one or two burger cooks and someone who's dumping stuff in the grease... So you will have one to clean the machines, one for maintenance and one supervising the operation. I really don't see anyone loosing a job.... still pointless....

posted on Mar, 9 2017 @ 12:37 PM
link   
a reply to: imitator

Pointless?

Did you watch the video?

You do know automation with A.I. is something that many in tech are discussing?

Look at the video. This isn't just a dumb piece of equipment, it's equipped with A.I. the learns as it goes and it can recognize different foods on the grill. Also, right now it's just an assistant but eventually there will be a robot that also makes the burgers and different sandwiches. So of course people are going to lose jobs.

From the article:

“Though we are starting with the relatively 'simple' task of cooking burgers, our proprietary AI software allows our kitchen assistants to be adaptable and therefore can be trained to help with almost any dull, dirty or dangerous task in a commercial kitchen — whether it's frying chicken, cutting vegetables or final plating.”

All you have to do is look at this:

This is the first computer called ENIAC.

This is a smart watch today.

This is far from pointless and anyone can see where this is headed.

edit on 9-3-2017 by neoholographic because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 9 2017 @ 12:41 PM
link   

originally posted by: neoholographic

Pointless?

Did you watch the video?

Look at the video. This isn't just a dumb piece of equipment, it's equipped with A.I. the learns as it goes and it can recognize different foods on the grill. Also, right now it's just an assistant but eventually there will be a robot that also makes the burgers and different sandwiches. So of course people are going to lose jobs.

From the article:

Also AI is kinda a misnomer...

You won't need a computer with human level cognitive ability to run most of our jobs...

I bet we already have software capabilities to do most of it.

posted on Mar, 9 2017 @ 12:55 PM
link   

originally posted by: JoshuaCox

originally posted by: neoholographic

Pointless?

Did you watch the video?

From the article:

Also AI is kinda a misnomer...

You won't need a computer with human level cognitive ability to run most of our jobs...

I bet we already have software capabilities to do most of it.

Far from a misnomer. The reason you haven't seen this level of automation over the years is because A.I. wasn't as advanced as it is today. You see A.I. doing everything from detecting cancer to learning how to play video games without instructions.

So there's a lot of areas that will be automated because of A.I. For instance, when you look at Flippy, it's not just a dumb piece of equipment but one that can recognize different items on the grill.

posted on Mar, 9 2017 @ 01:10 PM
link   

I like that there is still room for a prep cook.

Anyone who has ever worked a grill knows grease splatter can scar the forearms.
Don't think the younger generation is tough enough for that anymore.

#justjokingmillenialsdonttakeitpersonally

Wonder if they'll automate the nightly grill cleanup or if we'll still have that joy left to look forward to. Oh, Brave New World....with such Automations in it!

edit on 3/9/17 by GENERAL EYES because: classic formatting cleanup...it's kinda my thing now.

posted on Mar, 9 2017 @ 01:33 PM
link   

Ok..... If they lose their jobs, then who's gonna buy the fast food?

If you have a nice job and care about food, your not going to eat from something created by a greasy AI machine... AI will never have the human touch for the likes of soul food or the great Japanese chefs etc... not in a million years.

I can see where it's heading, my crystal ball is showing fast food commercials making fun of AI cooks and AI restaurants...
They will probably show something much like Number 5 making food.... and how it lacks the human touch.

posted on Mar, 9 2017 @ 02:55 PM
link   

top topics

join