It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Vote in Iraq or starve to death (from ATSNN)

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Feb, 1 2005 @ 02:41 AM
link   
Recent reports in Iraq have linked mandatory food rations with optional voting. Several Iraqis claim that they have been forced to vote in the elections before receiving the government issued rations. Others expressed fear when they were told that their monthly food allowance would be cut if they did not participate in the elections.

www.antiwar.com
BAGHDAD - Voting in Baghdad was linked with receipt of food rations, several voters said after the Sunday poll.

Many Iraqis said Monday that their names were marked on a list provided by the government agency that provides monthly food rations before they were allowed to vote.

"Two of the food dealers I know told me personally that our food rations would be withheld if we did not vote," said Saeed Jodhet, a 21-year-old engineering student who voted in the Hay al-Jihad district of Baghdad.

Please visit the link provided for the complete story.

Looks like that forced American democracy is really showing its head during these elections. Either you vote or you simply will not eat. Seems like a reasonable enough alternative.

Most Iraqis can't afford to have their food rations reduced as this may result in the starvation of their entire family. But there is a simple alternative. Vote.

posted on Feb, 2 2005 @ 12:05 AM
link   
From your own article:

There has been no official indication that Iraqis who did not vote would not receive their monthly food rations.

This is antiwar propaganda using some mistaken Iraqis as some kind of proof. This was not anyone's policy.

posted on Feb, 2 2005 @ 12:08 AM
link   
Deja Vu All Over Again

For a detailed examination of the source of this propaganda and just what kind of journalist Dahr Jamail is, I recommend reading the following thread:

Food ration cut if they did not vote. Iraq.

I hope you may find it as edifying as I did.

posted on Feb, 2 2005 @ 12:10 AM
link   

Originally posted by djohnsto77

There has been no official indication that Iraqis who did not vote would not receive their monthly food rations.

This is antiwar propaganda using some mistaken Iraqis as some kind of proof. This was not anyone's policy.

For something to be official means that it is the report manfiested by the government and spread to the mainstream media. Are you telling me that you only believe in 'official' reports djohnsto77?

posted on Feb, 2 2005 @ 12:42 AM
link   

Originally posted by Simulacra

Originally posted by djohnsto77

For something to be official means that it is the report manfiested by the government and spread to the mainstream media. Are you telling me that you only believe in 'official' reports djohnsto77?

Well i could create a "news" website where some idiot Americans thought they wouldn't get food if they didn't vote, or something along those lines, but does that make it true? Your website is dedicated to finding whatever it possibly can to attack the war in Iraq. Look at it this way, in 50 years, will the quality of life be far and away better in Iraq? yes or no, that is all i want in response.

posted on Feb, 2 2005 @ 12:44 AM
link   
uh they went to a voting center of their own free will then registered to vote.... i think they were confused thinking the registration form was to do with rations when it wasnt, judging by their words they were confused.

posted on Feb, 3 2005 @ 02:35 AM
link   

Originally posted by Ryanp5555
Look at it this way, in 50 years, will the quality of life be far and away better in Iraq? yes or no, that is all i want in response.

The quality of life as compared to what? The American Way of life? That's the exact problem. We are comparing quality of life based on two completly different cultures.

top topics

join