It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Kinda different around here

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 8 2017 @ 11:08 PM
link   
a reply to: bigfatfurrytexan

I wasn't a big fan of having entire topics mandated to only being allowed to post them in the mud pit, or endure harsh consequences, for that reason.

posted on Mar, 8 2017 @ 11:12 PM
link   
a reply to: IgnoranceIsntBlisss

Yeah, I can absolutely understand what you are talking about. A reason I generally stay far away from politics if I am unable to be completely objective.

posted on Mar, 8 2017 @ 11:22 PM
link   
One of the best pieces of advice I received when I complained of a personal insult; Was from a mod that suggested I grow a thicker skin.

It's a useful thing to have in almost all of the forums now... Because like you said "Kinda different around here"

edit on 8-3-2017 by olaru12 because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 8 2017 @ 11:23 PM
link   
a reply to: olaru12

Personal insults don't get to me. I simply don't let them.

posted on Mar, 9 2017 @ 12:08 AM
link   
I have been a member here since 2006. I have seen it go through the paranormal phase. I seen it go through the philosophical, theoretical stage. I seen it go through the indigo, crystal child phase. I seen it go through the theist vs. athiest stage. However, I don't think, in any of those phases, have I seen the site as toxic as it currently is.

Now, I have to follow that with admittance that I went on a pretty long hiatus from ATS. Probably about five years. I mean, I still poked my head in from time to time, but frankly, I have been here more in the last month than I have in the previous five years. So, I can't really speak as to what happened in my absence.

All I know is that I stopped frequenting the site around late 2011, early 2012, and frankly, I hardly recognize thE site anymore.

posted on Mar, 9 2017 @ 02:22 AM
link   
a reply to: pfishy

Hey pfishy!
I agree with what you've written, and am also pleased to see such well respected members participating.

I was away for almost a year, but even before I left it seemed really hostile around here.

I joined specifically to read and discuss 'theories'. They didn't need to be scientifically proven, just thought-provoking and interesting. Some of the most entertaining threads were eventually considered hoax threads, but they were fun to read and to me, still had value.

I have completely stopped participating in anything other than chit-chat and writing now. I got sick of constant arguing and bickering in threads that could have been great. Sick of defending myself when discussing my own personal experiences...and sick of members hating on each other in general.

Will definitely be following this thread.
S&F
jacy

posted on Mar, 9 2017 @ 06:14 AM
link   

I've seen ATS change as well,seems to be too many posters who can't take criticism,lacking in social skills,ATS was small but the people they had were of top caliber,actual expert's in their field's,majority is gone,now we are infiltrated with pink wearing ,basement dwelling non working kids,with little to no ambition,blaming others then trying to better themselves,used to a time when facts here were more important then ones feelings,this site is for uncovering true information,not opinions,because I have a million of them,and I gain more each and every day,I may be old and physically in decline,but not mentally,from some of these posts, I fear for the future seems only one worried about it is old people,and we don't have too much longer

posted on Mar, 9 2017 @ 06:29 AM
link   
This forum got kind of loose right after they stopped forbidding talk of anything marijuana. It seems many were emboldened to push the boundaries of vocabulary and of human interaction.

I know I visit less than I used to, and that is due mostly to subject matter, or in my case, lack of subject matter. Politics is a poor bedfellow.
edit on 9-3-2017 by Plotus because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 9 2017 @ 06:46 AM
link   

pfishy,

I admire your stance, and agree that the community is better together, than apart from its pieces.

However...

There are some contexts, within which compromise is a dirty word. Being unable to compromise on truth is laudable, but will necessarily engender ill feeling in anyone who does not share that inability.

posted on Mar, 9 2017 @ 09:30 AM
link   
a reply to: SpeakerofTruth

Very solid observations.

posted on Mar, 9 2017 @ 09:33 AM
link   
a reply to: TrueBrit

As odd as this may sound, I still don't see a reason that not being one to compromise on the truth should change the ability to be friendly around here. It's the name calling and such that is truly getting toxic. I have never seen a reason to do so. Nor to be rude to other members.

posted on Mar, 9 2017 @ 09:33 AM
link   
a reply to: Plotus

It's absolutely is

posted on Mar, 9 2017 @ 09:35 AM
link   
a reply to: jacygirl

That's why I started coming around, myself. The 'theories'.
Toxicity is not theoretical, unfortunately.
But I am very happy to see that you still participate somewhere, at least.

posted on Mar, 9 2017 @ 09:45 AM
link   

pfishy,

The point being, that unless others are prepared to take the truth the same way they enjoy their lies, staying friendly will require far too many compromises to be worth doing.

posted on Mar, 9 2017 @ 12:12 PM
link   

I was lurking over BigBurgh's shoulder for awhile before making my own account. I joined some conversations then rather suddenly had to have back surgery. I'm back when I'm not napping & healing. Hopefully, I'll have positive input on some threads in which you're interested. Cheers!!
~LB

posted on Mar, 9 2017 @ 04:29 PM
link   
a reply to: TrueBrit

Friendly is easy. It's putting up with others that gets complicated.

<< 1   >>

join