It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Kinda different around here

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 8 2017 @ 09:25 PM
link   
So, I had stepped away from ATS for a few months. There seemed to be too much discourse and vitriol in the months before and after the election, and I couldn't find the same joy the community gave me before then. I returned recently. I am a bit sad now.

I have always appreciated the diverse range of member comments available on most any given subject. And there were those who were *almost predictable in there appearance in threads, if not necessarily their opinions. That's why I came to love ATS.

I've been back for a bit. I don't see some of these same folks showing up in the threads where I would have safely bet they'd be popping up before I left. I miss some of you a good deal. I could look them up or PM them, I know. For the most part, they're still active.

But it feels like last August built it's own wall here. We are a community. We have crazy aunts/uncles, wise and nurturing mothers/fathers, way too smart cousins, rowdy brothers/sisters.
We were still a family when I left. It feels like that has fractured in the time I was gone.

I understand political, social, economic, cultural differences. This last election had a lot of all of those going on. But, it seemed all of you understood those too. And still accepted one another despite or maybe even because of it before August. I am not comfortable in the space ATS has become in some regards. I will not leave this community because of it, however.

Quite the opposite. I love the ATS community, each and every one of us. I will now redirect my goals here accordingly. I tried to help when I could, I pointed out glaringly obvious contradiction in posts in some of the more hotly debated forums (9/11,etc.), but I don't allow myself to dislike another contributor here for a difference of opinion.

So, I believe I have a small, probably pointless calling in my ATS future. I just want to do whatever it is that I'm able to try and bring once-friendly members back to the conversation with each other. I am not blind, and I am not easily swayed. Nor are the good people of this place. Just because there are varying opinions of President Trump, and what he does or does not stand for, there is STILL NO REASON TO DIVIDE OURSELVES SO STRONGLY! What can a fractured group change? Not nearly as much as a functional one. I promise you that.

posted on Mar, 8 2017 @ 09:32 PM
link   
a reply to: pfishy

We were still a family when I left. It feels like that has fractured in the time I was gone.

Agreed. Just on a thread where discourse is been systematically scapegoated and demonized.

... meh ...

(welcome back)

posted on Mar, 8 2017 @ 09:37 PM
link   

Things seem to happen in cycles & patterns... I believe we can get back to a "less fractured" version of the ATS family, but it requires us to be responsible and conscientious when we are creating threads or commenting on others' threads. It's easy to get sucked into arguments, to want to state your case without always really trying to understand what the other person is saying, to revert to old ways or "defense" tactics.

I think we can become a healthier community if we can all work on ourselves

posted on Mar, 8 2017 @ 09:45 PM
link   
I am in no position to argue. And have to admit I'm new new here, but am as much to blame , as I often speak before thinking.

posted on Mar, 8 2017 @ 09:45 PM
link   
a reply to: intrptr

Thank you

posted on Mar, 8 2017 @ 09:46 PM
link   
a reply to: FamCore

THIS.
This is exactly what I mean.

posted on Mar, 8 2017 @ 09:48 PM
link   
a reply to: Natas0114

It's a very human trait to do so. As is responding with the heart. I don't blame anyone for what I feel has changed here. We are all human.
I just hope we can begin to use our minds again, as strongly as we seem to use our hearts.

posted on Mar, 8 2017 @ 09:51 PM
link   

Agreed. Thankyou for the understanding, you are practicing what you preach- which is not easy- but much respected.

posted on Mar, 8 2017 @ 09:53 PM
link   
a reply to: Natas0114

I am not anymore skilled at being honest than anyone else here. I am a bit of a stickler for intellectual truth, but that's not a rare quality in these parts.

Thank you for your understanding.

posted on Mar, 8 2017 @ 09:54 PM
link   

originally posted by: pfishy

Thank you

No problem, enjoyed our exchanges in the 911 forum.

Psst everyone, (one of the real people).

posted on Mar, 8 2017 @ 09:56 PM
link   

As did I. You are one of my favs.

posted on Mar, 8 2017 @ 10:22 PM
link   
partisans have lost their marbles, collectively, and are stuck in this game of confabulation. To many of us, when we hear someone say something, we filter it through a logic matrix. For a partisan, all the matters is if it can be used as a dig at some random partisan on the internet.

They fight so hard you'd think they were going to actually win something.

posted on Mar, 8 2017 @ 10:32 PM
link   
a reply to: bigfatfurrytexan

Another member I am happy to see again/may have been referencing

posted on Mar, 8 2017 @ 10:33 PM
link   

I'm actually happy to see everyone.

posted on Mar, 8 2017 @ 10:49 PM
link   
awareness10

posted on Mar, 8 2017 @ 10:58 PM
link   
When some one insults and lies to you, Marginalizes you as less than, deserving no respect; not the best way to maintain a cohesive community of members you at one time respected... That's what ATS has become...

There's also a negative side.

posted on Mar, 8 2017 @ 10:59 PM
link   
a reply to: IgnoranceIsntBlisss

Another member that I remember. Thank you for reading.

posted on Mar, 8 2017 @ 11:00 PM
link   
a reply to: olaru12

I recognize this problem. I honestly do. I hope to help be part of the solution. Thank you.

posted on Mar, 8 2017 @ 11:05 PM
link   

originally posted by: olaru12
When some one insults and lies to you, Marginalizes you as less than, deserving no respect; not the best way to maintain a cohesive community of members you at one time respected... That's what ATS has become...

There's also a negative side.

Wasn't a big fan of the mud pit for this reason.

Lord knows i can communicate in a very brash manner that comes across as course, if not rude. But I do not appreciate rudeness, lack of civility, insults, etc.

posted on Mar, 8 2017 @ 11:07 PM
link   

I am guilty of allowing passion to occasionally override absolute civility. But we can mend the chasms.

top topics

<<   2 >>

join