It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The Dark Rigidity of Fundamentalist Rural America

page: 8
<< 5  6  7    9  10  11 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 9 2017 @ 02:32 PM
link   

originally posted by: Tiger5

originally posted by: ketsuko

originally posted by: Tiger5

originally posted by: JohnnyCanuck

originally posted by: xuenchen
What a set-up that was.

The opposite is the real story.

Really? Cite your sources, because I can cite mine.
Fear and Anxiety Drive Conservatives' Political Attitudes
Liberal’s and Conservative’s Brains Are Different on Average
Political Orientations Are Correlated with Brain Structure in Young Adults

Good luck quoting "fancy pants" research here. Many people are deeply suspicious of academia!

You do understand that it was recently exposed that most studies of that nature have a serious issue with reproducibility ... meaning that most of them cannot be reproduced even when the conditions of the experiment are repeated?

It's that way throughout the so-called soft sciences.

Wow Bain scanning is now a soft science?? the research is indicative of future research to be undertaken. I suppose that you do not understand the nature of the scientific cutting edge!

Bain scanning?

You can scan the brain, but then presuming to both read and interpret definitively what those scans mean is the soft part.

posted on Mar, 9 2017 @ 02:34 PM
link   

originally posted by: pyramid head

An Insider's View: The Dark Rigidity of Fundamentalist Rural America. In deep-red white America, the white Christian God is king.

This was an interesting read...something of an eyeopener, but not entirely unknown in Canada either. The key is that it was written by someone born and bred in the community, someone who explains why certain demographics will continue to enthusiastically vote against their own interests. And why that ain't likely to change anytime soon.

Of course it seems that way to you. You have no idea of the concept of freedom.
I donno man...I know I've always been able to go to Cuba when I want to. I know I can buy Kinder Eggs for my grandkids. I know I won't lose my house if I get sick. If that ain't freedom...well...

posted on Mar, 9 2017 @ 02:42 PM
link   

originally posted by: JAY1980

The key is that it was written by someone born and bred in the community, someone who explains why certain demographics will continue to enthusiastically vote against their own interests.

A Canadian struggling to grasp the subtleties of Americas deep south.
This is a bit like me starting a thread about the mistreatment of the indigenous Canadians by the largely left leaning establishment. I'm probably not as versed as I should be to go there...
But that didn't stop you did it OP?
Go right ahead and talk about the FN. I know what I'm doing in that regard. You might want to look into it yourself, as you'll discover that the Church had a whole lot to do with the abuse, which kinda takes this conversation full circle, now, doesn't it.
And I've merely passed along observations by an American and offered the comment that it explains much. As mentioned...I've traveled a little in the States, more so than most Americans I'd bet, and I am entitled to an opinion. I just might be right, too.

posted on Mar, 9 2017 @ 02:42 PM
link   

originally posted by: Aazadan

originally posted by: D8Tee
I just have to say that's one of the stupidest most ignorant comments I've seen on this site. ever.

Oh? How so. What have they done on a worldwide stage?

The town I mentioned living in previously, Marietta Ohio. I can point to pizza places there where every single employee has an engineering degree, but can't use it because there are no jobs and the people have no ambition.

Small towns, especially the type the author in that post wrote about are for people scared of change, who want to hang out in areas that don't change.

Low GDP areas quite frankly, don't matter. People living in them think they matter, but that's only because they're biased because they live there. Every blue area on that map could disappear overnight (and yes, I live in that blue area... I am very firmly one of those who don't matter), and not only would nothing be lost... but the country would be better off.

Urban areas are the future.

This elitist attitude is the problem some people have mentioned. You do not and cannot understand why and how these people live. Therefore, you classify them as next to useless. Your arrogance is astounding. There is far more to life than economics and GDP. A shame you don't comprehend that.

posted on Mar, 9 2017 @ 02:45 PM
link   
a reply to: JohnnyCanuck

Of course, expecting the views of an American who grew up in such a community and absolutely hated it doesn't present a very balanced picture of it either.

It would be like me offering you an article written by a former Canuck who hated living in Canada as proof that there are no redeeming features to being Canadian or living in Canada at all.

While that person might hit the nail on the head in some aspects, their view is also going to present the absolute worst picture of every aspect of the experience because they won't have anything good for fair to say about it. Someone with that much of an axe to grind isn't capable of being fair.
edit on 9-3-2017 by ketsuko because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 9 2017 @ 02:49 PM
link   

An Insider's View: The Dark Rigidity of Fundamentalist Rural America. In deep-red white America, the white Christian God is king.

This was an interesting read...something of an eyeopener, but not entirely unknown in Canada either. The key is that it was written by someone born and bred in the community, someone who explains why certain demographics will continue to enthusiastically vote against their own interests. And why that ain't likely to change anytime soon.

I donno man...I know I've always been able to go to Cuba when I want to. I know I can buy Kinder Eggs for my grandkids. I know I won't lose my house if I get sick. If that ain't freedom...well...

Yet free speech eludes you.....

Americas not perfect, but it seems many(not all), Canadians have this habit of criticizing the US.

Your country is full of problems too. most of us down south are just doing what we are supposed to and focusing on ourselves.

We largely ignore, or don't really care about what goes on in Canada. If I were Canadian I would focus less on eggs and Cuba trips and more on the ability to speak freely.

posted on Mar, 9 2017 @ 02:51 PM
link   

Of course, expecting the views of an American who grew up in such a community and absolutely hated it doesn't present a very balanced picture of it either.

It would be like me offering you an article written by a former Canuck who hated living in Canada as proof that there are no redeeming features to being Canadian or living in Canada at all.

While that person might hit the nail on the head in some aspects, their view is also going to present the absolute worst picture of every aspect of the experience because they won't have anything good for fair to say about it. Someone with that much of an axe to grind isn't capable of being fair.

I think he quite fairly explains what he sees as failings in a fundamentalist rural mindset, and he explains them as an 'insider'. And if he were bemoaning the dark side of liberal and educated urbanity, there'd also be a lot of nodding and bobbing of heads...so what's your point? As to my being Canadian, again, so what? How does that change the article?

posted on Mar, 9 2017 @ 02:55 PM
link   

Americas not perfect, but it seems many(not all), Canadians have this habit of criticizing the US.
Your country is full of problems too. most of us down south are just doing what we are supposed to and focusing on ourselves.
We largely ignore, or don't really care about what goes on in Canada. If I were Canadian I would focus less on eggs and Cuba trips and more on the ability to speak freely.

OK, so you are criticising me for talking about the US, but you tell me that as a Canadian I have no free speech. Tell me, is it at all difficult to simultaneously talk out of both sides of your face like that?

posted on Mar, 9 2017 @ 02:58 PM
link   

I am telling you he takes on the role of the concern troll.

He hates where he came from, but he takes on the roll of "I've been there ... so I can speak from the voice of experience" but you can tell he hated all of it and now considers all of it beneath him.

I am asking you as someone who clearly takes pride in being Canadian and living in Canada how you would feel if I presented you a piece similar to this one written by a Canadian concern troll who uses the same technique.

By the way, I have seen liberals who have written criticisms of their own. They generally are linked in both left-leaning and conservative blogs. Often, the left receives them with a level of hatred and vitriol far beyond what you are seeing from the right leaning here. What you are seeing here is the reaction from people who also have some experience with the topics he discusses and have experienced a much different world than the one he paints with such contempt which is why we call him a troll.

posted on Mar, 9 2017 @ 02:59 PM
link   

OK, so you are criticising me for talking about the US, but you tell me that as a Canadian I have no free speech. Tell me, is it at all difficult to simultaneously talk out of both sides of your face like that?

Your telling me you don't know what I'm talking about? You don't know your own laws?

posted on Mar, 9 2017 @ 03:08 PM
link   

I am telling you he takes on the role of the concern troll.

He hates where he came from, but he takes on the roll of "I've been there ... so I can speak from the voice of experience" but you can tell he hated all of it and now considers all of it beneath him.

I am asking you as someone who clearly takes pride in being Canadian and living in Canada how you would feel if I presented you a piece similar to this one written by a Canadian concern troll who uses the same technique.

By the way, I have seen liberals who have written criticisms of their own. They generally are linked in both left-leaning and conservative blogs. Often, the left receives them with a level of hatred and vitriol far beyond what you are seeing from the right leaning here. What you are seeing here is the reaction from people who also have some experience with the topics he discusses and have experienced a much different world than the one he paints with such contempt which is why we call him a troll.

A) Not everybody disagrees with him...the 22 flags are not for me.
B) My citizenship is immaterial, though I did mention at the outset that the phenomenon is certainly visible here, too.
C) There are a lot of circumstances we share that make governing by any party difficult because the problems are greater than just ideology. And quite frankly, they could be pretty much solved by a miniscule tax on the international flow of finance...but I digress.
D) If nothing else, the article has created 8 pages of dialogue so far, and it is up to the participants just how much they wanna talk, and how much they wanna listen.

Your telling me you don't know what I'm talking about? You don't know your own laws?

No, it means that I've been down that path before, and I don't feel like engaging. You wanna start your own thread, and push those buttons...go nuts. Meanwhile, it's like I say...

edit on 9-3-2017 by JohnnyCanuck because: Yes

posted on Mar, 9 2017 @ 03:08 PM
link   
a reply to: ketsuko

The late Alan Colmes being the poster-boy for that. He dared, from time to time, criticize the behavior of his fellow liberals and was, usually, soundly chastised for it.

He was one of the few honest commentators around.

posted on Mar, 9 2017 @ 03:12 PM
link   

originally posted by: Annee

originally posted by: Irishhaf
It is funny... I grew up on the "enlightened"coast... saw more racism there and up north in the big city where my family came from then I ever did in 20 years living in middle america.

I was an outcast in my high school because if I saw an attractive woman I would ask her out... did not care about skin color or social standing.

Since moving to rural oklahoma I have seen more interracial families in that 10 years than I ever saw anywhere else...

The CA coast alone is 840 miles long. Interesting you put all that into a bubble, but claim the area you're in now isn't.

Criticizing him for putting that whole area in a bubble.

Thats what this entire article is doing!!!

posted on Mar, 9 2017 @ 03:22 PM
link   

I was on topic, and replying to your thread. If your going to start a thread labeling a group of people from a position of arrogance, expect people to challenge you on your opinion.

Not being able to defend your opinion doesn't mean I'm "pushing buttons".

posted on Mar, 9 2017 @ 03:22 PM
link   

originally posted by: Humbaba
This elitist attitude is the problem some people have mentioned. You do not and cannot understand why and how these people live. Therefore, you classify them as next to useless. Your arrogance is astounding. There is far more to life than economics and GDP. A shame you don't comprehend that.

I understand completely how these people live. It's a simpler lifestyle and many of them are happy with that. Most of them have been closed off to society though and only know that lifestyle.

Let me give you an example of the cultural differences. I've been lucky enough in my life to be relatively well traveled, I get the opportunity to travel a couple times a year, and as a kid I got to travel every few weeks. I've lived in 3 diverse states/areas (Northern Nevada, Southern California, and Southern Ohio), been to all 50 states, and been to a couple different countries.

A couple years ago I was going to E3 alongside a few classmates of mine. In the group of 6 of us, 4 had never been on an airplane or in an airport. 3 had never been more than 100 miles from home, 2 had never been out of state (excluding the small town just across the border). While on the trip, there were several days where we were walking around the streets of downtown LA... something I hadn't done for a couple years, but also not something unfamiliar to me. When lunchtime came, I couldn't even convince the two very sheltered members of my group to try out a Chipolte (no burrito shops in this area). They would only try out brands they were familiar with and they ended up eating at a Subway. At breakfast one day, they went with M&M's or some other candy out of the hotel vending machine because DENNYS was too exotic and totally unknown.

I think this story sums up the small town thinking of the unknown. Even Denny's was foreign and to be avoided at all costs. It's a very closed minded life.

And you're right, there's more to life than economics and GDP. I don't disagree. But people who are stuck in small towns eeking out what is damn near a subsistence income (and certainly not even the purchasing power of our nations median income of $50k) might be able to purchase goods and services, and even homes in their local economy but it usually leaves them trapped, unable to go elsewhere. Buying an expensive TV costs fewer hours of work in a higher GDP area. Traveling the world is something that starts to look viable. Investments become more profitable. Health care becomes relatively less expensive. Fancy self driving cars are something you'll one day be able to buy. Plane trips become cheaper. Even something as simple as a college education for a child becomes more affordable because you're not trying to upscale wages.

Small towns, in particular in rural America are devoid of opportunity compared to cities. Considering that America is the "Land of Opportunity" I find this mindset to be distinctly unamerican. Small towns are a good place to retire to where your fixed income goes further, they're a very bad place for young and middle aged people to try and earn a living.

posted on Mar, 9 2017 @ 03:28 PM
link   

I was on topic, and replying to your thread. If your going to start a thread labeling a group of people from a position of arrogance, expect people to challenge you on your opinion.

Sorry if you are seeing any arrogance from me. That is not what this thread is all about. It is about perception and conversation, and...

Of course it seems that way to you. You have no idea of the concept of freedom. You don't even have the basic right of free speech. Your in a cage telling someone on the outside how great the inside of your cage is. You can keep your "educated" lack of freedoms granted by inbred pedophile kings and queens in england. We'll continue to "enthusiastically vote against our own interest"(freedom). - White Christian God King Worshipper

...has got Jack # to do with it. In the words of the Prophet, of course.

posted on Mar, 9 2017 @ 03:36 PM
link   

Sorry if you are seeing any arrogance from me. That is not what this thread is all about. It is about perception and conversation, and...

Of course it seems that way to you. You have no idea of the concept of freedom. You don't even have the basic right of free speech. Your in a cage telling someone on the outside how great the inside of your cage is. You can keep your "educated" lack of freedoms granted by inbred pedophile kings and queens in england. We'll continue to "enthusiastically vote against our own interest"(freedom). - White Christian God King Worshipper

It is, and your being disingenuous. Your labeling a group of people that you ideologically disagree with as less intelligent.

Now you don't want defend your position anymore. That's fine, just don't make it like I'm somehow off base.

posted on Mar, 9 2017 @ 03:55 PM
link   

A couple years ago I was going to E3 alongside a few classmates of mine. In the group of 6 of us, 4 had never been on an airplane or in an airport. 3 had never been more than 100 miles from home, 2 had never been out of state (excluding the small town just across the border). While on the trip, there were several days where we were walking around the streets of downtown LA... something I hadn't done for a couple years, but also not something unfamiliar to me. When lunchtime came, I couldn't even convince the two very sheltered members of my group to try out a Chipolte (no burrito shops in this area). They would only try out brands they were familiar with and they ended up eating at a Subway. At breakfast one day, they went with M&M's or some other candy out of the hotel vending machine because DENNYS was too exotic and totally unknown.

Wow! Are you saying you coaxed them out of their narrow little shells for E3?

I find it difficult to believe. How did such insular people who were so close-minded suddenly end up at E3 of all places experiencing the big, heathen outside for the first time?

posted on Mar, 9 2017 @ 03:56 PM
link   

It is, and your being disingenuous. Your labeling a group of people that you ideologically disagree with as less intelligent. Now you don't want defend your position anymore. That's fine, just don't make it like I'm somehow off base.

Show me please where I said that they were less intelligent.

posted on Mar, 9 2017 @ 04:03 PM
link   

Now you don't know what your saying?

Am I to assume well-read intelligent people "enthusiastically vote against their own self interest, and will continue to do so"?

top topics

<< 5  6  7    9  10  11 >>

join