It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The Dark Rigidity of Fundamentalist Rural America

page: 7
<< 4  5  6    8  9  10 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 9 2017 @ 01:00 PM
link   
a reply to: JohnnyCanuck

Good read with some prescient points.

posted on Mar, 9 2017 @ 01:20 PM
link   

originally posted by: JohnnyCanuck

originally posted by: Aazadan
a reply to: JohnnyCanuck

I don't know if it's a fear of cities, I think it's more just a dislike of outsiders. I just had a job interview last week, and one of the first things the interviewer said to me was they reached out to me for an interview because I was from a small town and shared their values... they didn't want to hire someone from a big city who might be "different".

Good point. Cities do represent diversity. They are unfamiliar to many, and for those who figure that cities are the embodiment of mammon...that's not a place where you want to feel like you're not in control of your surroundings.
Nature or nurture? Conservatives Big on Fear, Brain Study Finds
Fear does not equate cowardice, but it can describe a gut reaction to the unknown.

LOL

Peering inside the brain with MRI scans, researchers at University College London found that self-described conservative students had a larger amygdala than liberals.

What a set-up that was.

The opposite is the real story.

posted on Mar, 9 2017 @ 01:22 PM
link   

originally posted by: burdman30ott6
I can go out into the wilderness for a couple of weeks and not see another soul and still never feel the depth and sadness of absolute loneliness I feel in major cities. There's something badly wrong there... something mankind needs is missing in those overpopulated hells. I feel sorry for people who live there, but dammit I'm glad to not see many of them flocking to the rural environment looking to leave their concrete prisons and spiritual deathtraps. Simply put, we really don't want or need them in rural America.

Well...you may want to re-think some of that. As I mentioned, I live in the 'county sea't of a rural municipality. Industry has moved out, no careers for the kids so if they want to get ahead, they need to leave the town they grew up in. The city fathers have been, until recently, waiting for the Honda plant to arrive and it just ain't gonna. What we have managed to do here is start a process whereby the town is recognising its appealing Victorian 'downtown' and capitalising on its heritage value in order to create an appealing place to visit and to live. It is starting to catch on to 'the creative economy' which can operate on high speed internet rather than highways. It is starting to try to attract cultural tourism by identifying that which makes it unique, including traditional music and the arts.

Big Agri is eating up many of the farming operations here, but artisanal products are gaining ground...there is money to be made selling cheval, and goat cheese. The studies are in and council is slooowly starting to respond. The irony? Most of this is being propelled by city folk who have moved here...some 2 hours out of Toronto.

Don't get me started on this one, I can go on for hours.

posted on Mar, 9 2017 @ 01:28 PM
link   
Dark, huh?

Why dark, which of course implies evil, and or malicious... Which, oddly enough, describes this article. Malicious. Intent upon getting so many of you to nod in agreement as it appeals to your political bias.

That you are too "rigid" to see this, dare I say "dark", only makes it more amusing.

posted on Mar, 9 2017 @ 01:33 PM
link   

posted on Mar, 9 2017 @ 01:42 PM
link   

An Insider's View: The Dark Rigidity of Fundamentalist Rural America. In deep-red white America, the white Christian God is king.

This was an interesting read...something of an eyeopener, but not entirely unknown in Canada either. The key is that it was written by someone born and bred in the community, someone who explains why certain demographics will continue to enthusiastically vote against their own interests. And why that ain't likely to change anytime soon.

Of course it seems that way to you. You have no idea of the concept of freedom. You don't even have the basic right of free speech.

Your in a cage telling someone on the outside how great the inside of your cage is.

You can keep your "educated" lack of freedoms granted by inbred pedophile kings and queens in england. We'll continue to "enthusiastically vote against our own interest"(freedom).

- White Christian God King Worshipper

posted on Mar, 9 2017 @ 01:47 PM
link   

originally posted by: TheBulk

An Insider's View: The Dark Rigidity of Fundamentalist Rural America. In deep-red white America, the white Christian God is king.

This was an interesting read...something of an eyeopener, but not entirely unknown in Canada either. The key is that it was written by someone born and bred in the community, someone who explains why certain demographics will continue to

originally posted by: Tsubaki

It's a self defense mechanism. No one wants to entertain the ideal that they're a tool.

Have you ever considered that you're the tools? You seem to be convinced that your cult's way of doing things is the only way. I watch the so called enlightened of your ideology organize a women's march, then pray to allah and put on hajibs. Seems pretty toolish to me.

When did anyone perform a women's march and then pray to Allah and put on a hijab? Poor people are always made fun of and demonised. Some poor people enjoyed doing that to other minorities. The simple fact is that the rural poor are inherently conservative because they are insular. Back in the days the other side of "Them Tharr Hills" was another country. he same thing happens in all communities on the planet.

Sadly he poor are often pawns to various powerful groups and also snake oil salesmen.

posted on Mar, 9 2017 @ 01:49 PM
link   

originally posted by: xuenchen
What a set-up that was.

Really? Cite your sources, because I can cite mine.
Fear and Anxiety Drive Conservatives' Political Attitudes
Liberal’s and Conservative’s Brains Are Different on Average
Political Orientations Are Correlated with Brain Structure in Young Adults

Good luck quoting "fancy pants" research here. Many people are deeply suspicious of academia!

posted on Mar, 9 2017 @ 01:50 PM
link   
a reply to: pyramid head

Your post is painfully hypocritical. Continue once again to reinforce JohnnyCanuck's point; you're bragging about your 'freedom' to vote against your self interest, not your freedom to actually affect change. You are free insomuch as the word 'free' denotes it, but in fact are yourself trapped in a cage of your own ignorance (as shown by how you are so easily free to be controlled by those in power to cow-tow to their interest and not your own).

You should have more accurately stated you are the only one truly free to serve those in power.

posted on Mar, 9 2017 @ 01:54 PM
link   

What a set-up that was.

It's all opposite.

Right now in the U.S. we have Liberal going totally nuts and rioting over political issues.

So who is really scared ?

posted on Mar, 9 2017 @ 01:57 PM
link   

originally posted by: Wayfarer
a reply to: pyramid head

Your post is painfully hypocritical. Continue once again to reinforce JohnnyCanuck's point; you're bragging about your 'freedom' to vote against your self interest, not your freedom to actually affect change. You are free insomuch as the word 'free' denotes it, but in fact are yourself trapped in a cage of your own ignorance (as shown by how you are so easily free to be controlled by those in power to cow-tow to their interest and not your own).

You should have more accurately stated you are the only one truly free to serve those in power.

Vague much? What was the point of that?
Just say what your programmed to think "trump baaaaadddddd, democrats goooooooood".

You didn't read the post, or maybe didn't understand it.

posted on Mar, 9 2017 @ 01:59 PM
link   

originally posted by: Irishhaf
a reply to: Annee

Define high learning for me?

one big difference I have noticed is that in middle america a big part of it is learned (done the work) knowledge where east and west coast tend to lean towards book learning...

My daddy's job no longer exists.

What did the new generation offspring of the Mafia do? They became lawyers & accountants. Book learned.

Farmers today. Book Learned Science.

Grease monkeys. Cars are computerized.

I find it interesting that you equate "hard work" to the uneducated. Oh, except those who learned generation, by generation, by generation, by doing.

Yeah, my former father-in-law was a woods craftsman. He ended up making a living installing pre-fab cabinets.

(BTW I did mention in my post you said you were from the north coast and did not state CA.)

posted on Mar, 9 2017 @ 02:02 PM
link   
a reply to: Tiger5

Almost to the same extent that others are deeply suspicious of fundamentalist rural America, or any other facet of rural America.

If not more so.
edit on 3/9/2017 by seagull because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 9 2017 @ 02:03 PM
link   

originally posted by: Tiger5

What a set-up that was.

Good luck quoting "fancy pants" research here. Many people are deeply suspicious of academia!

You do understand that it was recently exposed that most studies of that nature have a serious issue with reproducibility ... meaning that most of them cannot be reproduced even when the conditions of the experiment are repeated?

It's that way throughout the so-called soft sciences.

posted on Mar, 9 2017 @ 02:04 PM
link   
Many people in this thread seem to have conveniently forgotten the “word “Fundamentalist” that was in the title. It has now become a slugfest between the City slickers and the country bumpkins. The fundamentalists are the people who believe that the bible is a factual document that is the literal word of god (shrink away from reading it in its original languages). Fundamentalism is the 500LB gorilla that is sitting in the room. That mind set is the mind killer. As an ex-Xtian my flesh creeps at the prospect of the Orange ape in Church. I have seen their bigotry and wilful ignorance. This wilful ignorance is crippling the next crop of native born scientists. Religious Fundamentalism is diametrically opposed to critical thinking and science. Scientists can be follow any of the worlds religions but fundamentalism is an anathema. How can you have dinosaurs and Adam running around?
On the other hand these are the people who are moaning about not having manual jobs but their fundamentalist attitudes prevent them from getting an education.

The problem is not rural living!

posted on Mar, 9 2017 @ 02:08 PM
link   

The key is that it was written by someone born and bred in the community, someone who explains why certain demographics will continue to enthusiastically vote against their own interests.

A Canadian struggling to grasp the subtleties of Americas deep south.
This is a bit like me starting a thread about the mistreatment of the indigenous Canadians by the largely left leaning establishment. I'm probably not as versed as I should be to go there...
But that didn't stop you did it OP?

posted on Mar, 9 2017 @ 02:08 PM
link   

originally posted by: Irishhaf
one big difference I have noticed is that in middle america a big part of it is learned (done the work) knowledge where east and west coast tend to lean towards book learning...

I would definitely agree with this. I think this is one of the big conflicts actually. People on the coasts see this inheriting of the family trade as basically creating a caste system where people are trapped into specific professions. People in middle America think of it as carrying on the family legacy. It's a large philosophical difference. It also traps people into living in certain regions. For example, I could take my job skills and work in any state or country on the planet. All I need is a laptop and transportation. Someone who only knows how to farm, even worse only farm a specific crop or two is trapped to where they own land and can't easily move to new climates or cultures. You're stuck there for eternity.

That makes people in middle America slaves/victims of a backwards system, and they don't even realize it or expressly deny it when it's pointed out.

posted on Mar, 9 2017 @ 02:27 PM
link   

originally posted by: ketsuko

What a set-up that was.

You do understand that it was recently exposed that most studies of that nature have a serious issue with reproducibility ... meaning that most of them cannot be reproduced even when the conditions of the experiment are repeated?

Wow brain scanning is now a soft science?? the research is indicative of future research to be undertaken. I suppose that you do not understand the nature of the scientific cutting edge!
edit on 9-3-2017 by Tiger5 because: Add in more text

posted on Mar, 9 2017 @ 02:28 PM
link   
a reply to: Aazadan

Excellent!

My point as well - - you said it far more eloquently though.

posted on Mar, 9 2017 @ 02:32 PM
link   

originally posted by: ketsuko

What a set-up that was.

Wow Bain scanning is now a soft science?? the research is indicative of future research to be undertaken. I suppose that you do not understand the nature of the scientific cutting edge!

LOL - - I've been follow brain scan science for at least 10 years. I find it fascinating.

It's "newish", but definitely not soft.

new topics

top topics

<< 4  5  6    8  9  10 >>

join