It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The Dark Rigidity of Fundamentalist Rural America

page: 2
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 8 2017 @ 02:32 PM
link   

originally posted by: antar
a reply to: JohnnyCanuck

Just want to add that the Religious fundamental right is not one and the same with the conservative right.

And you are being disingenuous. If you strip out the level of fake pity they are very similar.

posted on Mar, 8 2017 @ 02:33 PM
link   
OK, I rarely respond to political threads, but yhis article was worthwhile. Yet, wrong. Sure, the yokals are all this by birth and verbal reinforcement. But this nation and was formed by those same types. Ask any Native. Each "colony" spun out similar offspring. Generation by generation.
The rural areas, white Americans,adopted many of there stubborn attitudes as a bulwark against moneyed interests exploiting them from the civil war through at least the 1950s. Change requires time.
Life itself, survival, effects changes. Yes,two generations ago, and now grandparents, retain the line. But times they are achanging, the 40 yo children of the hippie generation are all on the www. And ideas do find homes in even the strangest of places.
Too often change is rushed by those who want what they want and they want it now.

VF

posted on Mar, 8 2017 @ 02:35 PM
link   

originally posted by: Tsubaki

I don't have a 'group' because it's difficult to group those that don't view everything as strictly black or white.

Weird, you take a very black./white stance, but unsurprisingly see it as nuanced.

posted on Mar, 8 2017 @ 02:36 PM
link   

originally posted by: olaru12
Personally, I thank God for the mid American, Religious Right and their naivete. I make an obscene amount of money selling them "dreams".... They know it but are powerless to say "NO"

What do you sell them?

+7 more 
posted on Mar, 8 2017 @ 02:38 PM
link   
Even the language you guys use to talk about these people. It's like you barely see them as human. I think if someone was here talking about muslims that way, you would take issue.

posted on Mar, 8 2017 @ 02:44 PM
link   
I just hope that some day, only those in New York and California will be able to vote since the rest of the country doesn't really know what they want.

posted on Mar, 8 2017 @ 02:44 PM
link   
a reply to: JohnnyCanuck Well He nailed it! specially when he did the bullet points as to the true state of affairs. These people exist and sound a lot like the Jehovah Witnesses but without the racism. Interestingly he also mentions that the situation that these people find themselves in is a culmination of c30 years of neglect. So the problem is not one of Obama or the right or left. He problem is one of neglect.

We are all riding a tiger that is getting hungry.
What happens if Trump/Pence fail to deliver financial improvements to these people???? I can see a series of lone WHITE terrorists attacking.

Of course these people could just stop sitting on their butts an make something of themselves s the dscendants of the slaves that built America did!

posted on Mar, 8 2017 @ 02:47 PM
link   

originally posted by: TheBulk

I don't have a 'group' because it's difficult to group those that don't view everything as strictly black or white.

Weird, you take a very black./white stance, but unsurprisingly see it as nuanced.

Before we can get to this, we have to address the question I asked a few posts ago.

posted on Mar, 8 2017 @ 02:51 PM
link   

It's a self defense mechanism. No one wants to entertain the ideal that they're a tool.

I don't know about that. My default assumption on everything I believe is that I'm wrong. There's just some people that have somehow managed to be even more wrong than me.

posted on Mar, 8 2017 @ 02:56 PM
link   

originally posted by: Aazadan

It's a self defense mechanism. No one wants to entertain the ideal that they're a tool.

I don't know about that. My default assumption on everything I believe is that I'm wrong. There's just some people that have somehow managed to be even more wrong than me.

Psychologists would say that you're a statistical anomaly, however, when quoting it's important to keep everything in context otherwise there's a chance the mark can be completely missed.

posted on Mar, 8 2017 @ 02:57 PM
link   

It's interesting to me how poor people are always cast as victims, unless they're rural white people. Those people are endlessly demonized.

It's not really that they're demonized, it's that they're looked at as victims. Victims that are too stupid to realize they are victims, and who if you point that out to them, will take pride in their ignorance of said victimhood.

posted on Mar, 8 2017 @ 02:58 PM
link   

Applying to groups and identities their interests, their concerns and their voting habits is the racist conclusion of the neo-apartheid of identity politics.

posted on Mar, 8 2017 @ 03:08 PM
link   

originally posted by: Aazadan

It's interesting to me how poor people are always cast as victims, unless they're rural white people. Those people are endlessly demonized.

It's not really that they're demonized, it's that they're looked at as victims. Victims that are too stupid to realize they are victims, and who if you point that out to them, will take pride in their ignorance of said victimhood.

Would you say poor black voters are too stupid to realize voting Democrat isn't helping them?

+16 more 
posted on Mar, 8 2017 @ 03:09 PM
link   
What a hateful, bigoted generalization of a large group of Americans. It speaks more to the bigotry and hate exhibited by the elitist Left than anything about the heart and soul of the country and those who built this country with their sweat and blood and paid for everything.

You don't cause change by resorting to hate, that just deepens the divide.

Another problem with rural Christian white Americans is they are racists.

That author is a fraud engaging in pure partisan propaganda.

posted on Mar, 8 2017 @ 03:13 PM
link   
This is exceptionally thought-provoking, imo.

+8 more 
posted on Mar, 8 2017 @ 03:14 PM
link   
I'm amazed someone actually wrote that and believes it to be true. I live and grew up in rural midwest USA and literally none of these stereotypes or generalizations apply to anyone I know. I'm pretty sure it was just written for liberals to try to feel better about themselves and justify their beliefs.

posted on Mar, 8 2017 @ 03:15 PM
link   

Psychologists would say that you're a statistical anomaly

I probably am, I just tend to be very aware of my own ignorance/incompetence, which is also the thing I most dislike about myself (and probably why I spend 12+ hours a day, every day, studying). But, it also tends to be the thing I most dislike in others. How this relates to the OP is the particular demographic that this article is talking about, also happens to be the same culture of people I find myself in now... and is a pretty large one in the country overall. It's a group of people steeped in ignorance, with little desire to change that about themselves.

It's an extremely narrow viewpoint which tends to center around learning about one specific denomination, of one specific version, of a God. Learning one job skill. And then narrowing their focus for people they care about to one family. It's pretty much the very definition of the most narrow view of life possible and it leads to society as a whole making a lot of poor choices, because people are too ill informed to make better ones.

I'm not saying those people don't have that right, they clearly do... but I find it to be a huge failing of American society that such a culture was even able to take hold and if things continue to go as they have been, we really will have an American Taliban.

posted on Mar, 8 2017 @ 03:19 PM
link   

Would you say poor black voters are too stupid to realize voting Democrat isn't helping them?

Yes. But I would apply the same definition to anyone who blindly insists they're going to vote for someone regardless of the candidates. That applies to party line voters, or even those who feel it's simply their duty to give a vote to somebody no matter what.

The reality is, it doesn't matter who you vote for. It's the same idea as government subsidies, if votes are going to be freely given regardless of candidate performance, then there's no incentive to put forward better candidates. By being willing to withhold your vote when prospective government employees aren't up to the task of making the country a better place you take away their power by shrinking the voting rolls and making it easier for challengers to rise up in the future.

posted on Mar, 8 2017 @ 03:30 PM
link   

originally posted by: 4003fireglo

originally posted by: olaru12
Personally, I thank God for the mid American, Religious Right and their naivete. I make an obscene amount of money selling them "dreams".... They know it but are powerless to say "NO"

What do you sell them?

Stories that allow them to escape for a short time from a soul sucking existence of mediocrity.

It's a dirty job but someone's gotta do it....
edit on 8-3-2017 by olaru12 because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 8 2017 @ 03:59 PM
link   

originally posted by: LesMisanthrope

Applying to groups and identities their interests, their concerns and their voting habits is the racist conclusion of the neo-apartheid of identity politics.
Unless, of course, they're Lefties, then it's open season and you yourself are quite an enthusiastic contributor of record.

top topics

<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join