It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The Dark Rigidity of Fundamentalist Rural America

page: 12
<< 9  10  11    13  14  15 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 10 2017 @ 09:32 PM
link   
a reply to: JohnnyCanuck

Out here, they serve the pit masters.

But seriously, in a thread where the entire premise rests on generalizations and stereotypes why am I being held to a different standard?

There is plenty to go around.

posted on Mar, 10 2017 @ 09:39 PM
link   

originally posted by: ketsuko
But seriously, in a thread where the entire premise rests on generalizations and stereotypes why am I being held to a different standard?

Because, on this particular count it's my turn to step up and say...
Don't step in that, Wilbur...

posted on Mar, 10 2017 @ 09:46 PM
link   

As the OP, you started this thread with a steaming pile of it.

posted on Mar, 10 2017 @ 09:57 PM
link   

originally posted by: Grambler

Thats a well thought out post and echos the sentiments of many people here.

- They complain about “the little man being run out of business,” and then turn around and shop at big-box stores.

True. Just like educated liberals complain about corporations but use Iphones and drink at starbucks. Why single rural white people out for this?
- They make sure outsiders are not welcome, deny businesses permits to build, then complain about businesses, plants opening up in less rural areas.

This is way worse in some urban areas. And what a broad generalization. I live in a rural area where the two gas stations in town are owned by immigrants and almost everyone I know thinks they are great people. How can anyone take an article that makes such ridiculous broad generalizations such as this.

- Government has not done enough to help them in many cases, but their local and state governments are almost completely Republican and so are their representatives and senators. Instead of holding them accountable, they vote them into office over and over and over again.

And urban areas always go democrat and they are getting bad. So I assume this author would want detroit. chicago, etc to vote republican because they have been ran by dems for so long but are doing poorly. And I agree repubs have failed these areas to. In fact it was the establishment that failed them. So why would they have voted for the most establishment candidate ever, Hillary?

- All the economic policies and ideas that could help rural America belong to the Democratic Party: raising the minimum wage, strengthening unions, spending on infrastructure, renewable energy growth, slowing down the damage done by climate change, and healthcare reform. All of these and more would really help a lot of rural white Americans.

Minimum wage raise will do little to help, real middle class jobs would. Minimum wage raise laws will eliminate jobs.

Unions are switching to the republican party because hillary and Obama were so bad.

www.abovetopsecret.com...

Trump is claiming he will invest a ton more in infrastructure than Obama.

Renewable energy sounds good, but Remember hillary promising to put coal workers out of work. Guess what mr. educated author, those are rural people.

Climate change isn't hurting rural people. The plans to combat it always involve poor people paying more while wealthy elites get to fly around on their personal jets.

Health care? Rural americans hated Obamacare.

This is one of the most arrogant, bigoted articles I have ever read. If someone were to have the nerve to right a similar article about urban black people, the would be called a white supremacists. But again, to the identity politics driven educate liberal poor white people are the enemy and deserve to be ridiculed.

Shame on anyone who praised this article.

Thats a well thought out post and echos the sentiments of many people here.

posted on Mar, 10 2017 @ 09:59 PM
link   

As the OP, you started this thread with a steaming pile of it.

Well, that's a matter of opinion. The medicinal value of unadulterated food is not. Nice try, though.

posted on Mar, 10 2017 @ 11:34 PM
link   

a reply to: Aazadan

Or people in rural communities will have watched how it all went down in the cities and just not bother in the first place. For one thing, in a lot of one stoplight towns ... what's the point of a red light camera? Some of them don't even have a formal stoplight, just a flashing red at the local highway.

But they don't. They make the same mistakes. Also, I'm referring to actual small towns, not a one stoplight town, but the areas that are in the 5-20k people range. Places where people actually settle down and live.

posted on Mar, 11 2017 @ 12:11 AM
link   

originally posted by: vor78

As someone who was also born and raised in the rural south, I would suggest that a major reason why people vote the way they do is because of the arrogant, condescending nature displayed in the idea that they're 'voting against their self-interests,' as if they can't decide that for themselves.

I think one could argue that conservative America never really outgrew pre-Depression ideals. Up until the market crash, the vast majority of Americans believed that each man's destiny was completely within his own control—if he was poor, it was his fault and his fault only. This was part of the reason why the suicide rate was so high at the time. Eventually some Americans began to realize that fate was often a far more important factor, and learned to stop beating themselves up over their financial statuses. Others, as I mentioned, did not. I'm convinced the ratio between these types isn't going to tip very far beyond 50-50—at least not anytime soon. There will always be those who fight welfare programs tooth and nail, even if they could potentially benefit from them. It'll be very interesting to see what happens when automation starts to flood the job market.
edit on 11-3-2017 by heyguysimashill because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 11 2017 @ 01:24 AM
link   

originally posted by: JohnnyCanuck

Because, on this particular count it's my turn to step up and say...
Don't step in that, Wilbur...

Whoa there.

Thanks for the laugh. I loved Mr ed as a child. You just took me back to bygone era. Thanks

posted on Mar, 11 2017 @ 01:29 AM
link   
a reply to: heyguysimashill

yours is an interesting point that I will ponder. What about the respect for education? Didn't that generation have a lot of respect for education that went beyond the current anti education element? I am not fighting with you but just trying to get some clarity because I find the anti- education sentiments of some here to be an anathema to me and yes I am from non -US farming family.

posted on Mar, 11 2017 @ 01:33 AM
link   

originally posted by: TruMcCarthy
Yeah, because there is nothing rigid or fundamentalist with the left. Give me a break, these people won't even let you speak if you disagree with them.

Sure as I have spoke at all Trump's rallies and Hillary's also. Are you even trying to make a sensible point here?

posted on Mar, 11 2017 @ 01:41 AM
link   

originally posted by: Logarock
a reply to: Tiger5

Though you were educated? My point is for this thread to work one has to find some other ground than the fundamentalist thing. Something else is galvanizing and its none of they above stereotypes. And simply because of the easy to see blue/red areas it may very well be the other side of this thing that are the dysfunctioning deep dark whatevers.

Well how far are you going to go off point? One of the greatest things the US ever did was to put a person on the moon. Buzz Aldrin is a hero of mine . I would love to widen the net to include that but the rules say that we must not go too far off the point. The subject is the rural fundamentalists.

I have serious issues with my fellow liberals. First and foremost I am not scared of debate. I dislike Trump but will not demonise all republicans. I know they do not eat babies. You want to bring up the problems with the deep blues well start a thread. bTW there are several already this thread here goes against the masses of ATS which has always had a strong anti liberal tendency.

posted on Mar, 11 2017 @ 02:24 AM
link   
America , the rain is coming to Washington , can you not hear the thunderstorms ?

posted on Mar, 11 2017 @ 09:32 AM
link   
a reply to: starwarsisreal

So this one professor just confirmed something for you - or changed your mind?

posted on Mar, 11 2017 @ 09:49 AM
link   
a reply to: network dude

They have so much more class. You rarely see a pinky turned up while sipping from the mason jar.

Elitism is everywhere - seems like

:-)

posted on Mar, 11 2017 @ 10:06 AM
link   

Learning is only valued up to a certain point. Once it reaches the level where what you learn contradicts doctrine and fundamentalist arguments, it becomes dangerous. I watched

After this:

As the aftermath of the election of Donald Trump is being sorted out, a common theme keeps cropping up from all sides: "Democrats failed to understand white, working-class, fly-over America.”

Trump supporters are saying this. Progressive pundits are saying this. Talking heads across all forms of the media are saying this. Even some Democratic leaders are saying this. It doesn’t matter how many people say it, it is complete BS. It is an intellectual/linguistic sleight of hand meant to draw attention away from the real problem.

Anybody that's been paying any real attention - and isn't living in their elitist, identity based rural/fly over white just plain folk flavored bubble with the echo chamber volume set on high knows the left has been drowning in it's own mea culpas these past few months. That's the left for you - God love them. Desperate and confused though they might be

I haven't seen an honest rebuttal to this piece (so far) in this thread. You have to wonder why :-)
edit on 3/11/2017 by Spiramirabilis because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 11 2017 @ 01:04 PM
link   

originally posted by: chadderson

Written by an "educated liberal" on how it is wrong for "white (heartland) Americans" to look out for their own interests.

More grasping for straws. More generalizations. More of the same... Yawn.

No generalisations in that post. No sir.

posted on Mar, 11 2017 @ 01:12 PM
link   
Growing up in a Fundamental Christian home and being a Fundie for 35+ years, I can attest to this.

posted on Mar, 11 2017 @ 01:31 PM
link   

originally posted by: Tiger5
a reply to: heyguysimashill

yours is an interesting point that I will ponder. What about the respect for education? Didn't that generation have a lot of respect for education that went beyond the current anti education element? I am not fighting with you but just trying to get some clarity because I find the anti- education sentiments of some here to be an anathema to me and yes I am from non -US farming family.

Good point, I should have clarified "certain pre-Depression ideals"
edit on 11-3-2017 by heyguysimashill because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 11 2017 @ 02:11 PM
link   

originally posted by: Deaf Alien
Growing up in a Fundamental Christian home and being a Fundie for 35+ years, I can attest to this.
Which aspect would you be attesting to? The veracity (to whatever degree) of the article, or to the rebuttals?

posted on Mar, 11 2017 @ 02:24 PM
link   

LGBT and women's rights aspect to a large degree.
Racism and welfare to some degree.
Althought many are intelligent, some are extremely ignorant.
They will believe anything Republican politicans tell them, especially if it's Trump.

top topics

<< 9  10  11    13  14  15 >>

join