It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The Dark Rigidity of Fundamentalist Rural America

page: 11
<< 8  9  10    12  13  14 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 10 2017 @ 09:54 AM
link   
a reply to: Aazadan

You cite traffic cams as a good thing?

We had traffic cams here in this city, and they were shut off as illegal not so long ago. So I'd rethink this wonderful modernity of traffic cams.

The thing is that not everything about modernity is good just like not everything about the quiet rural life is bad.

But people want to make it an all or nothing proposition. Either you have to go all in on modernity and all the changes people want to ascribe to it or you are "dangerously" backward, but that's not true. Sometimes, modernity is simply all about change because they can and not because there is really any reason for it except they can.

In other words, to riff of Jurassic Park, people are so preoccupied with whether or not they could that they don't stop and think about whether or not they should. And a lot of times what is interpreted as "fear" to make resistance to a new idea look negative and backwards is more correctly interpreted as caution.

I am not against change, but I like to know why I am changing beyond simply "Your ways are old and therefore must be backward" which is all too often the reason given because that indicates I am being asked to change simply for the sake of change itself which is never a good enough reason to do it. Sometimes, things are the way they are for a reason and that reason is because there has yet to be a better way to do it that anyone has come up with.

Be careful what you unravel in other words.

posted on Mar, 10 2017 @ 10:09 AM
link   

originally posted by: ketsuko
You cite traffic cams as a good thing?

I don't care for them much myself, but I cite them as an example of how ideas that have come and gone across the rest of the country are just starting to rise up here, because small towns are pretty insulated from the rest of the world... things move much, much, much slower here. They'll go through the same cycle they did elsewhere, just on a local basis. And in 10-15 years after a bunch of people get wrongful tickets, there's likely a yellow light scandal, and they wind up being easy to defeat in court, they'll go away.

posted on Mar, 10 2017 @ 10:28 AM
link   
a reply to: chadderson

Spoken like someone who doesn't just agree with what is generally accepted.
I salute you, sir or ma'am.
I grew up in rural NE Ohio most of my life and the way I am generalized here in Cleveland is ignorant.

posted on Mar, 10 2017 @ 10:44 AM
link   

originally posted by: Logarock

originally posted by: Tiger5

a reply to: Tiger5

You and some others in here sound like bigots. I am sure you figure yourself to smart for that.

I grew up in very small town. It had all sorts. You would know that about the outlands if you really knew what you were talking about. What your ilk are looking for is some way to splane why "country" folks apparently didn't buy into the liberal plan this election. And natural being the bigots that you are go to some cooked up common denominator that really serves to reinforce your world view......another reason why you may never understand why libs are losing. But what can one expect from someone that believes "Marx" is an education.

Shoot me for reading widely and deeply to try to understand how the world is outside of Hicksville! It is clearly a crime to be well read and to stay in school beyond the fourth grade. I knew I could tease at least one idiot out of the woodwork. Why not respond to my concepts as opposed to picking out the words that you can read!

Keep the ad hominems coming but remember who started it!

Ok so you want to talk like that and then talk ad hominem against your person. lol. What sort of wide reading are you doing to call all people that live outside large metro areas and the suburbs "hicks" with all the baggage that carries? Real deep.

I am just replying to your ignorance. Don't take it personal. Do you live in the sticks?

Anyway. My stance was against fundamentalists. I practice equal opportunities. Al Fundamentalists are bad! They are a danger to themselves and others. None Fundamentalists do live out in the rural settings.

Being a fundamentalist means that you are easy prey for carpetbaggers and conmen.

I like the dark skies at night. I like being able to fish AND eat what I caught. I was taught to love the countryside by a white boy scout leader.

I am educated. I know something that you do not. Those who need to work for their money have no right looking down on anyone who has a bit less than them. It is the middle classes who also took a massive hit over the last two decades. I only look down on the Fundies Arab/ Xtian/Jewish!

OK the topic of the OP is the USA but the same BS is happening in Africa the same demagogues. Different skin colours same problems!!!

posted on Mar, 10 2017 @ 11:14 AM
link   
We moved about 4 years ago into a new neighborhood. It's in the overgrown dunes and the neighbors are a couple of hundred feet away but can't see them because of the trees. one day I was stopped at the mailbox at the entrance to our area and a neighbor introduced himself and told me I need to get my yard lights fixed and leave them on all night so it's not so dark. I told him i like the dark and the only things lights were good for is thieves can see what they want. He told me there's a lot of issues when the summer people come up and leave their kids for weeks on end. A few days later we came home late and I noticed all his lights were off.

posted on Mar, 10 2017 @ 11:15 AM
link   

a reply to: BuzzyWigs

Good Post

What are the major side effects of a poor education?

1) a lack of Numeracy (the number one failing in the USA) How can you harness the giant of US homegrown talent if your population is enumerate?

2) A lack of critical thinking. Sorry telling me "the bible says" is not critical thinking.

3) an unholy alliance between the Fundamentalists and non fundamentalists demagogues who use a religion's specific morality to benefit themselves at the expense of the gullible folk.

4) An insularity that has been around and written upon since the time of the great push westwards. No Hillary cannot be blamed for how previous authors wrote about the insularity.

Guess what even Karl Marx wrote about it. Cue MCCarthyite hysteria form the right ( who still look under their beds every night).

I can quote Marx because I HAVE AN EDUCATION. EDUCATION ROCKS

I'm on board 100% with you, man!

posted on Mar, 10 2017 @ 03:00 PM
link   

Many people in this thread seem to have conveniently forgotten the “word “Fundamentalist” that was in the title. It has now become a slugfest between the City slickers and the country bumpkins. The fundamentalists are the people who believe that the bible is a factual document that is the literal word of god (shrink away from reading it in its original languages). Fundamentalism is the 500LB gorilla that is sitting in the room. That mind set is the mind killer. As an ex-Xtian my flesh creeps at the prospect of the Orange ape in Church. I have seen their bigotry and wilful ignorance. This wilful ignorance is crippling the next crop of native born scientists. Religious Fundamentalism is diametrically opposed to critical thinking and science. Scientists can be follow any of the worlds religions but fundamentalism is an anathema. How can you have dinosaurs and Adam running around?
On the other hand these are the people who are moaning about not having manual jobs but their fundamentalist attitudes prevent them from getting an education.

The problem is not rural living!

The ignorance in science can be attributed to many things, religion just one of them, money being even bigger.

posted on Mar, 10 2017 @ 03:18 PM
link   

Ok so we need to expand the net here, secure more stereotype to the thing makes it work better. Now Trump is a carpet bagger.....but hes from the city. Big city boy well healed, big money and schooled at one of Americas finest.......and the hayseeds are sopping him up like gravy.

And....AND....drumroll..... they didn't go for Ted Cruz who is spozed to be the fundie go to by all accounts.

posted on Mar, 10 2017 @ 03:45 PM
link   
a reply to: ParasuvO

Money does not intrinsically oppose science. Religion does when it is in its fundamentalists form. Have you ever considered where the creationists come from? They do not come from money.. The come from idiots who believe that god made this planet in 6 days. Even Islam knew better!

posted on Mar, 10 2017 @ 03:57 PM
link   

Ok so we need to expand the net here, secure more stereotype to the thing makes it work better. Now Trump is a carpet bagger.....but hes from the city. Big city boy well healed, big money and schooled at one of Americas finest.......and the hayseeds are sopping him up like gravy.

And....AND....drumroll..... they didn't go for Ted Cruz who is spozed to be the fundie go to by all accounts.

So exactly what is your point?

I am going to have to guess it.

Stop trying to confuse the issue. It was never as simple s fundie cleaving to fundie. Cruz is a fundie and he lost to Trump. Trump pulled out every stop to win. This was the worst election in history as the two major candidates were so god awful. Anyone that is even slightly progressive flees the tyranny of the majority. I have travelled and it is the same everywhere.

Trump promised a lot and rural people trusted him. Fair enough but you expect a billionaire to bail you out well sir. Step right up and I will sell you the moon! Look at the policies; real overarching policies as opposed to tweets. Hilary lost. No tears here but Hilary loosing did not make Trump the best for the ordinary people in this country. Trump played the Xtian tune and Rural America loved that and voted. Trump played the hate the elite card and dumbasses loved it. So a billionaire is not part of the elite?1?!

posted on Mar, 10 2017 @ 04:04 PM
link   

Though you were educated? My point is for this thread to work one has to find some other ground than the fundamentalist thing. Something else is galvanizing and its none of they above stereotypes. And simply because of the easy to see blue/red areas it may very well be the other side of this thing that are the dysfunctioning deep dark whatevers.

posted on Mar, 10 2017 @ 04:07 PM
link   
a reply to: Aazadan

Or people in rural communities will have watched how it all went down in the cities and just not bother in the first place. For one thing, in a lot of one stoplight towns ... what's the point of a red light camera? Some of them don't even have a formal stoplight, just a flashing red at the local highway.

posted on Mar, 10 2017 @ 04:08 PM
link   
Countries by agriculture export

Link is circa 2015...

US was second in agriculture exports to the tune of around 163 billion dollars... if the fly over states disappeared suddenly that loss would not be simple to fix.

I know there is a list out there showing how many countries would fall into famine if we stopped exporting food to them... but I am tired going to bed someone else can find it.

Point of this is, these occur in middle america... many fly over states are huge producers of food, yea lot of it is corporate now (yuck) but it is still in fact a valuable part of our country.

One last data point..

I knew a guy that was paid to go all over the world, well in excess of 6 figures a year salary and the people that paid him covered room , board, transportation for him...

What was his job... Farrier, not many places to learn the skill set anymore, and it is very at home in middle america.

posted on Mar, 10 2017 @ 04:16 PM
link   

For someone who just denied the fundie card with your Cruz argument, you circled back around to it quick enough with Trump.

As a Christian, I will simply tell you that Trump is not Christian in the fundie sense of the word, or even the strong Christian sense of the word, but he certainly comes off as a lot less hostile to those of us with faith than Clinton and her backers did.

Again, the special interest advocacy is a big part of what got Clinton into trouble. The Demcrats got so inclusive, they excluded a lot of their bread and butter voters which lost them a lot of midwestern states like Ohio, Michigan, and Wisconsin.

You can's openly support groups that spout nothing by hatred and contempt for cishetero white Christan America like so many of them do and think your blue collar mostly white male union workers aren't going to wake up to that eventually ... particularly when the one thing they need most - a working economy is NOT the thing you are trying to promise them.
edit on 10-3-2017 by ketsuko because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 10 2017 @ 04:19 PM
link   
a reply to: Irishhaf

A lot of their trendy artisanal grass fed meat, buffalo, game, cheese, etc., is also produced out in flyover.

What would they do without all that guilt free meat they can now find that small producers in the heartland take the time and effort to grow for them? Poor smug, condescending hipster foodies ...

posted on Mar, 10 2017 @ 05:22 PM
link   

originally posted by: CB328
Yes, they have a lot of crazy beliefs, such as spending huge amounts of money on stupid things like dirt bikes, snowmobiles, huge trailers and trucks and then whining that democrats are bad because they can't afford to pay their taxes after blowing all their money.

Like all the black people I see getting off and on the bus at the local "program" center? They all have the very expensive strollers for their paychecks to ride in, their hair is done up with colorful weaves, their nails are done and they have those huge fake lashes. Not to mention Michael Kors and Coach bags, and they're glued to their smartphones as they ignore their kids. Them's some crazy beliefs right there! They also stand on the corner mooching change off me everyday and calling me a white bitch (talk about complaining!) when I don't comply! Must be my privilege of living in a beautiful diverse neighborhood that's 95 percent black!! Hooray!

posted on Mar, 10 2017 @ 05:29 PM
link   

originally posted by: chadderson
a reply to: JohnnyCanuck

Written by an "educated liberal" on how it is wrong for "white (heartland) Americans" to look out for their own interests.

How does skin pigmentation determine someone's "own interests"?

More grasping for straws. More generalizations. More of the same... Yawn.

More ignorance posing as reason.

posted on Mar, 10 2017 @ 06:58 PM
link   

Another problem with rural Christian white Americans is they are racists.

That is a bold lie told about the Americans that voted for Obama twice in rural America, then in 2016 voted for Trump, yeah no, that is a narrative the left keeps trying to push, anybody with 2 brain cells of logic knows it's bogus.

The writer doesn't have a clue about places like Elliott county.

edit on 10-3-2017 by Blue_Jay33 because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 10 2017 @ 06:59 PM
link   
Yeah, because there is nothing rigid or fundamentalist with the left. Give me a break, these people won't even let you speak if you disagree with them.

posted on Mar, 10 2017 @ 09:24 PM
link   

originally posted by: ketsuko
a reply to: Irishhaf
A lot of their trendy artisanal grass fed meat, buffalo, game, cheese, etc., is also produced out in flyover.
What would they do without all that guilt free meat they can now find that small producers in the heartland take the time and effort to grow for them? Poor smug, condescending hipster foodies ...

Talk about generalisation and stereotypes...the beloved Mrs. Canuck has had to adopt a lot of those foods in order to keep her fibro under control. But to you such people are 'Poor smug, condescending hipster foodies'. Maybe if more family farms adjusted to those niche markets, they wouldn't be going broke.

new topics

top topics

<< 8  9  10    12  13  14 >>

join